Has anyone seen Cinderella Man? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Has anyone seen Cinderella Man?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has anyone seen Cinderella Man?

Postby DC nats05 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 pm

Hey guys, I have this project and the topic is sports during the Great Depression. I plan on showing a clip from the movie (Cinderella Man) possibly demonstrating how rough it was during these times or Braddock's triumph to overcome things standing in his way (a solution to the Depression). I haven't seen the movie, so that's why I'm asking if you know of any specific scenes that indicate the above. I doubt you guys can help, but if you can, that would be great!
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:19 pm

I fell asleep about 20 minutes in; sorry :-b
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:39 pm

i thought it was a great movie. a good triumph scene is his paying back the welfare office and his comments that soon follow that scene. tough times is him going to ask friends for money and sucking it up to go to the welfare office, which was a huge blow to his pride.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby DC nats05 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 pm

if you don't mind me asking, which part of the movie did that happen?
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:20 pm

Wasn't the solution to the depression World War II? I haven't seen Cinderella Man.

Wouldn't it be better to just watch the movie if you are doing a presentation? It seems likely that there would be bound to be some sort of wise guy in class who would have seen the movie and would likely move beyond the scene you are focusing on to critique it if you were to blunder somehow and draw a conclusion that was refuted later in the film. I had several teachers who I would be pretty sure would have gone after a student slacking off in that manner as well....

Last summer, I read several books about Soccer (football...) during the world cup and the depression apparently caused several teams to blow off the cup as it was too expensive to travel at the time. I can't remember which ones though. Baseball attendance also suffered at the time.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Not really related to the topic, but my favorite story of MLB Baseball during that period, is when the Washington Sentators owner sold Joe Cronin, his starting shortstop and son-in-law to the Red Sox. You know times are desperate when you are selling members of your own family.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:33 pm

DC nats05 wrote:if you don't mind me asking, which part of the movie did that happen?

i've only seen it once so i can't say with accuracy. its best to just watch the whole movie or else you really won't pull the the weight of the true meaning from the scenes.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby DC nats05 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:37 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Wasn't the solution to the depression World War II? I haven't seen Cinderella Man.

Wouldn't it be better to just watch the movie if you are doing a presentation? It seems likely that there would be bound to be some sort of wise guy in class who would have seen the movie and would likely move beyond the scene you are focusing on to critique it if you were to blunder somehow and draw a conclusion that was refuted later in the film. I had several teachers who I would be pretty sure would have gone after a student slacking off in that manner as well....

Last summer, I read several books about Soccer (football...) during the world cup and the depression apparently caused several teams to blow off the cup as it was too expensive to travel at the time. I can't remember which ones though. Baseball attendance also suffered at the time.

yeah woops i didn't mean solution, I meant more of a theme or attainable goal. Also, I forgot to specify that this clip I plan on showing is just one tiny tiny part to a whole group project on the entire Great Depression - not just sports. I don't even have to talk about Braddock, just briefly (like within 30 sec) outline his career and such. Thanks for the info and thedude...nice i might add that to my project
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:49 pm

I don't know that there's a clip that you could specifically include to show his entire career and how the Depression impacted it, but there were plenty of scenes of squaller and poverty. There is more than one scene of him, his wife, and their kids in their extraordinarily small apartment struggling to find enough food for a meal. I particularly liked the scene with Paul Giamatti when he let's Crowe's character into his swanky apartment - that had no furniture. He says something to the effect, "Got to keep up appearances."

Seriously, if you have time, the movie's worth the watch.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Melo255 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:25 am

I thought this was a great great movie and should definitely be seen.

Anyway for you, the two scenes that came to my mind immediately have already been mentioned.

When Braddock has to go and essentially beg for money to feed his family is one of my favorite scenes from any movie. Russell Crowe does an amazing job of being a man who despite all of his hardest efforts in trying to take care of his family on his own has to suck it up and beg the same people who took away his boxing card for help. It's the emasculation of a very proud man and it's incredibly painful to watch.

Also the scene where Braddock's wife forces her way into Paul Giammati's apartment to yell at him for taking advantage of her husband for his own gain and realizes that they have been pretending to be wealthy to keep up appearances but in fact have been forced to sell away everything they own but a table I believe.

One other thing: This is a picture I saw a long time ago that I believe is from the Depression Era. I don't know if you can use it or not but it's always been powerful to me.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~dbisigna/ima ... 0Dream.jpg
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk