Maddux coming home? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Maddux coming home?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maddux coming home?

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:27 am

Daily Herald wrote:Maddux wonders: Why not a return to where it all started?
Posted December 03, 2003
By Barry Rozner

Imagine a rotation of Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano, Matt Clement and ... Greg Maddux.

Hey, who needs a lefty when you can add the perfect guy at the perfect time?

It's true that the Cubs probably don't have much money left to spend after stealing yet another pitcher, LaTroy Hawkins, from yet another small-market team Tuesday.

And they're already a 95-100 win team in the wretchedness known as the NL Central, but the symmetry is so right that even Maddux makes signing with the Cubs sound lyrical.

"It'd be kind of cool to finish up where you started and all of that. I could see that. :-) It kind of cleans everything up,'' Maddux said Tuesday night from his Las Vegas home, referring to the painful breakup of 1992. "It'd be great fun to be a part of that rotation.

"You never know. Right now, I don't think anything's out of the question.''

The 37-year-old Maddux, who is sitting on 289 victories, isn't exactly washed up.

He made more starts (36) and threw more innings (218) than anyone on the Cubs' staff in 2003. He had more wins (16) than anyone but Mark Prior, and now that you mention it, only seven other pitchers won as many as 16 games in the NL last season.

After starting 0-3 with an 11.09 ERA, Maddux went 16-8 with a 3.34 ERA, which isn't far behind Kerry Wood (3.20) and Carlos Zambrano (3.11), and considerably better than Shawn Estes (5.73) and Clement (4.11).

Maddux is the active leader in average pitches per inning (13), and is a good bet to extend his record of 16 straight seasons with at least 15 victories.

Maddux also is thought to be the best pitching coach in baseball, and with 11 postseason victories, a World Series ring and 20 years of professional experience, he wouldn't be a bad addition to a young Cubs rotation. ;-D

"We'll wait and see if there's a decision to make and what the options are, but it's early,'' Maddux said. "It's like the first inning.''

Maddux hasn't ruled out Midwest and East Coast teams, including Atlanta, just because he'd like to be close to home.

"I think more than anything I want to win. I love winning,'' Maddux said. "I haven't gotten over that yet. I guess I never will. I want to be on a competitive team. I want to be with good guys who have fun. I want a chance to win, and location is a part of it, but not all of it.

"I don't want to be far from the kids, but what's the difference between flying two hours to see them and four hours to see them?'' Very little...come on home... :-)

Maddux probably knows he's not going to get $14.7 million again in 2004, and having made more than $100 million in his career, he probably doesn't care as much about that as he does a chance to win another ring.

The White Sox can't really sell it, but the Cubs certainly can offer a chance to get to the Fall Classic. :-D

Please come home Greg..... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:48 am

"I think more than anything I want to win. I love winning,'' Maddux said. "I haven't gotten over that yet. I guess I never will. I want to be on a competitive team. I want to be with good guys who have fun. I want a chance to win, and location is a part of it, but not all of it.

:-) Thats would be just to scary .... wonder if he signs for a discount. ooops sorry, Boras.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:27 am

That would not surprise me at all for Maddux to come back to the Cubs for his final run. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ironman » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:50 pm

If he's wanting to come back how can you sit in the Cubs' front office and not actively pursue this? He won't be your staff ace but the Cubs won't need him to be either. Plus, speaking for myself as well as others, the fans would love it. Aside from maybe Mark Grace I can't think of another Cub exile that is still revered as much as Maddux.

They might not get him, I can live with that. I just sure as heck hope they at least try! :-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby bloatedcrab » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:00 pm

I'd love to see Maddux back too, but I read that he just built a gazillion dollar house near San Diego. If I was nearing retirement and had more $$ than I knew what to do with, I'd be there in a flash.

I'm kind of scared that Clemens will come out of retirement for the Astros, that would be a NASTY pitching staff. Not as good as the Cubbies, but pretty darn close. We should all give him a call and remind him how much he like spending the summers with his kids!

The Cards are also keeping pace with us, Sanders is a very solid player, and Suppan is no slouch.

I think we need to make one more impact deal to go along with all of the small things that have been done. That puts us over the hump. I know the $$ for Vlads is'nt in Tribune corp's plans, but a guy can dream! Rumor has it that they are chasing both of the big catcher FA's. Urbina is also a target. Maels Rodriguez, the guy that just defected from Cuba, is also a drak horse cantidate?
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
-Mahatma Gandhi
bloatedcrab
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ironman » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:55 pm

I'm guessing that the Michael Barrett deal means the Cubs are out of the Javy/Pudge sweepstakes.

Are they trying to get another SP this offseason?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby bloatedcrab » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:18 pm

I read today that they will trade Miller, or possibly even non-tender Barrett. It was also rumored that the Cubbies would wait for the bidding for the big 2 FA catchers to end (when the 1st one signs) then snatch up the the one that remains unsigned. Looking like Lopez right now.
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
-Mahatma Gandhi
bloatedcrab
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:31 am

bloatedcrab wrote:I read today that they will trade Miller, or possibly even non-tender Barrett. It was also rumored that the Cubbies would wait for the bidding for the big 2 FA catchers to end (when the 1st one signs) then snatch up the the one that remains unsigned. Looking like Lopez right now.

where is the **please oh please** emoticon..... :-D

that will be what keeps us away from the promised land.... :-[

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Steve_Bartman » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:06 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:that will be what keeps us away from the promised land.... :-[

Hmmm, Really? I'd like to think I have a say in these matters too :-D
Steve_Bartman Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Location: Looking for awnsers to the Paranormal, Goats, and Jinxes

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:11 am

Steve_Bartman wrote:
DieHardCubbie wrote:that will be what keeps us away from the promised land.... :-[

Hmmm, Really? I'd like to think I have a say in these matters too :-D

you really shouldn't talk to me.......Image

LOL....j/k.... :-b

DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Chicago Cubs