Problem with Sheff deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Problem with Sheff deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:32 pm

I disagree with you WR, although I understand your logic. Ten bucks says the Braves offer arbitration. Same thing with the Sox offering it to Floyd last year--and they didn't want him to accept. Players don't want one year deals. They want three, four, five year deals--and the money that goes with them.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:42 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:I disagree with you WR, although I understand your logic. Ten bucks says the Braves offer arbitration. Same thing with the Sox offering it to Floyd last year--and they didn't want him to accept. Players don't want one year deals. They want three, four, five year deals--and the money that goes with them.

You may be right, The Braves still may offer him arbitration, But that doesn' t mean that NYY shouldn't 'try' and protect themselves from having to give a first round pick. The best way to do that is 'leak a contract snag'.

In order to believe the other way, You have to believe that The Yankees had no idea Sheff wanted 4-5 years, even though they have been talking to him for weeks. 8-o
Then at the last minute, Gary decided that 4 or 5 years would be better than 3 and that he should hold out a little longer.

I'm not buying it ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:10 pm

Maybe it's just me, but from what I've read about Rufus Williams, Sheff's "so called agent", I'd say he's the one that just now brought up the additional year or two. Trying to play the angles. He knows that George really wants Sheff now that the Bo Sox have traded for Schilling. Personally, I think there was a three year deal in place, and now Rufus is trying to squeeze old George.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:48 pm

new jersey paper wrote:For the second straight day, free agent Gary Sheffield was summoned by Yankees' owner George Steinbrenner for an hour-long summit in Tampa, Fla.

Though there is still no official deal to announce, there is no deal-breaking snag to overcome.

"I'm not saying there's a snag. It's incomplete. I'm just saying it's not done," said a source close to the negotiations.

The parameters of a three-year, $38 million to $40 million deal are in place. According to the source, there are details yet to be resolved involving deferred money for the slugging right fielder.

Atlanta paper wrote:Sheffield's publicist and business manager insist negotiations are ongoing with the Yankees, Braves and others, and the New York Daily News reported a snag in negotiations with the Yankees as Sheffield was demanding at least $14 million annually.

However, the Braves haven't been involved in negotiations with Sheffield since last week, and no team except the Yankees has been linked with the free agent.

as was my first quote ...
atlanta paper wrote:Why would the Yankees leak rumor of a snag? Because if the Braves believe a Sheffield deal with New York has been agreed upon, then the Braves could safely offer Sheffield arbitration by Sunday's deadline.

If the Braves offer him arbitration, the Yankees would have to give them a first-round draft pick as compensation for signing Sheffield.

But if the Braves don't offer arbitration to Sheffield, the Yankees wouldn't have to give up a draft pick for signing him.

ny paper wrote:Yankees weren't as busy as ever as George Steinbrenner again met in Tampa with Gary Sheffield and his representative Rufus Williams. They are getting closer to finishing the three-year, $39 million deal and sooner or later the Yankees will announce the signing of reliever Tom "Flash" Gordon to a two-year contract worth $7.25 million.

Steinbrenner was not talking to the media again and has his front office on a gag order that would make the CIA proud

i'm just saying .....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moose » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:05 am

Please oh please be at least 4 years! :-D
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:17 pm

Star-Ledger wrote:Yankees officials spent much of the early part of this week trying, behind the scenes, to convince people their three-year, $39 million contract with free-agent right fielder Gary Sheffield wasn't done yet. In some cases, they even succeeded. I know a couple myself....

But the edition of USA Today Sports Weekly that hit newsstands yesterday exposes that misinformation campaign.

In an interview with the magazine, Sheffield details the face-to-face negotiations between himself and owner George Steinbrenner that resulted in an agreement a week ago. And he's already talking like a Yankee.

"We're not going to lose. You can be assured of that," Sheffield told the magazine. "George didn't even bring up the Red Sox during our talks. I don't even think they're a concern to him."

Before this, the only interview Sheffield had done this winter was with The Star-Ledger. But that was early in the process. In this latest story, he describes how the Yankees' first three contract offers (the highest: $36 million for three years) weren't good enough. That led him to call his uncle, Dwight Gooden, who works as an adviser to Steinbrenner.

"Get me George and get him now," Sheffield said he told Gooden. "If not, I guarantee you I won't be coming to the Yankees."

Sheffield, Gooden and Steinbrenner met at the Yankees' minor-league complex the day before Thanksgiving and agreed to a contract that will pay Sheffield $12 million each of the next three years and will include a $12 million option for 2007 with a $3 million buyout. That adds up to $39 million guaranteed.

Sheffield also told the magazine that the contract includes "hidden bonuses and incentives" that can push the deal's average annual salary to about $15 million, and that Steinbrenner offered him a job in the organization after he retires. Sheffield, who has 379 career home runs, said Steinbrenner told him he wants him to reach 500 in a Yankees uniform.

"You're part of the family now," Sheffield said Steinbrenner told him. "The Yankee family."

Steinbrenner, through spokesman Howard Rubenstein, declined to comment on the article.

The Yankees had been trying to put out the word that the deal wasn't yet done because they thought it would convince the Braves, for whom Sheffield played the past two years, not to offer him salary arbitration by Sunday's deadline.

If the Braves do offer him arbitration (and now it appears they will), the Yankees will have to surrender their first-round draft pick in order to sign him.

Sheffield was seen working out at the Yankees' minor-league complex in Tampa, Fla., yesterday. He'll probably have a physical there in the next few days.

:-D

WR OUT ... :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Area51's » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:13 pm

Rotoworld says on Dec 4th:

Gary Sheffield told USA Today Sports Weekly that his contract with the Yankees is worth $39 million and was agreed to last week.
Sheffield said he'll make $12 million in each of the next three years and there's an option for 2007 worth $12 million with a $3 million buyout. The Yankees still plan to hold off confirming the deal until after the arbitration deadline passes.

So.....THAT sounds like its done, and just waiting...just like everybody says......come on Atlanta.......pull the trigger......just see what happens...
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:39 pm

Area51's wrote:come on Atlanta.......pull the trigger......just see what happens...

ya think Gary will accept? I don't but, it would be very funny ....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:38 pm

wrveres wrote:
Area51's wrote:come on Atlanta.......pull the trigger......just see what happens...

It'd be great to see George's head set on fire. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:47 pm

DK wrote:
wrveres wrote:

It'd be great to see George's head set on fire. :D

I know. It would really suck if Atlanta kept Sheff and then the Yankees had to settle for Vlad. :-D

This deal is done. Arbitration or not, he's going to NY.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers