Viacom sues YouTube for $1 billion. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Viacom sues YouTube for $1 billion.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:43 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:yeah, but what if you just want to see a clip from "Jesse get's hooked on caffine pills on Saved by the Bell"

hahahaha, hilarious...what a random choice

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:yeah, but what if you just want to see a clip from "Jesse get's hooked on caffine pills on Saved by the Bell"

hahahaha, hilarious...what a random choice

it came up in a thread the other day, then i went and watched the video like 5 times in a row..."I'm so excited..." :-b

:-? i may need to start sporting a Jesse Av/Sig :-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:16 pm

Well it has been a month since Viacom ordered YouTUBE to remove the clips ( http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ght=viacom ) and YouTube has removed some, but i can understand why they would be angry.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:42 pm

knapplc wrote:Instead of throwing money away suing YouTube they need to be more concerned with DVR/TiVo technology. I haven't watched a commercial in years.

They already are. Product placement is slowly taking the place of the traditional commercial. Pay close attention next time you're watching a show and you'll be amazed at how much product placement there is.

edit: according to this Wired article, product placement is up at least 84% since 2004. This is crazy:
In a recent episode of the NBC series Medium, writers had to work the movie Memoirs of a Geisha into the dialogue three times because of a deal the network made with Sony earlier in the season. They even had the characters go on a date to an early screening of the movie and bump into friends who had just viewed Geisha to tell them how good it was.

Wasn't there some big controversy about some computer thing being in 24 too?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Viacom sues YouTube for $1 billion.

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:54 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:Instead of throwing money away suing YouTube they need to be more concerned with DVR/TiVo technology. I haven't watched a commercial in years.

They already are. Product placement is slowly taking the place of the traditional commercial. Pay close attention next time you're watching a show and you'll be amazed at how much product placement there is.

edit: according to this Wired article, product placement is up at least 84% since 2004. This is crazy:
In a recent episode of the NBC series Medium, writers had to work the movie Memoirs of a Geisha into the dialogue three times because of a deal the network made with Sony earlier in the season. They even had the characters go on a date to an early screening of the movie and bump into friends who had just viewed Geisha to tell them how good it was.

I seem to remember reading something about that in the video game world as well. Possibly in Game Informer, but that we'd be seeing a lot more name brands in stuff as the companies are willing to pay to have their product or service in a game as a marketing strategy. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:55 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

I don't really watch network television - I stick to History Channel and Discovery shows, mostly. It'd be kind of odd to see a can of Dr. Pepper in the Hun's invasion camp. :-b
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:37 pm

I enjoy catching missed episodes of The Colbert Report on youtube. I noticed that they had been cracking down on the clips recently. Sad to see them go.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Tavish wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I'm willing to bet that Google regrets buying YouTube. And I also want to nominate YouTube's founders for the best example of "sell-high" that I have ever seen.

Not that Google won't fight back and allow YouTube to still be successful. But you have to think that some major cash is going to be swapping hands in the near future.

On the other hand, Viacom is just sour because their networks suck and nobody watches. :-B

Google bought YouTube knowing full-well that they were going to face lawsuits. Many believe that the future lawsuits were precisely the reason Google bought YouTube (getting the largest installed viral video fan base is a small bonus). A major part of Google's future business plan is at odds with provisions of the DMCA. The buyout of YouTube gives them a front row seat to the precedent lawsuits for that issue and gives their lawyers a crack at fixing a statute that really needs to be fixed anyways.

Ditto. The Google brain trust didn't just magically get stupid and delusioned by greed over night. Buying YouTube when they did was a calculated move to position themselves where they felt they needed to be in order to further their business interests.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:42 am

First off, as mentioned before, Google knew all too well that they would get into lawsuits, but they definitely have the money to burn to pay for copyright infringement violations. Google bought Youtube with the main purpose to sell ads against millions and millions of video pages. There comes a point where ad inventory through traditional search marketing narrows down. Youtube was brand new territory to conquer in Google's eyes. I remember a meeting a few months ago here on the Revver camp where Steven was saying that we would be in a quagmire if Google finally masters the art of selling ads with certain legitimate content creators and they'll make tons more money than what we can deliver to them on Revver based solely off click-throughs. It's also no surprise that Google is pushing to pay creators, but only a select few given the legal ramifications of a third party profiting off another's work.

Second, I'll always say this and that is, that Youtube was smart for the kind of strategy they put in place. They took that Napster ideology and had focused on building a community that watches videos, rather than focusing on being creator-centric. Revver had gone the other way and protected creators' rights first and monetize videos. It's a good idea, but it definitely overlooked the most ideal part to the business and that's traffic. Revver doesn't even have 1% market share while Youtube has something like 55-60%. It's not that Revver was too idealistic for what they're doing, as there is definitely a demand for advertisers to want to be attached to good, fairly safe content and there are creators that want copyright protection and want to make money for what they love to do. But if there's barely a trickle of traffic, well, whatever you make on CTR doesn't matter. You're better off on Youtube and getting your name out there. It's definitely worked for comedy troupes like Nobody's Watching and Derrick Comedy as they've signed deals with Hollywood talent agencies.

Third, I don't think Viacom suing Youtube is going to hurt YT's business dramatically. The reason is again, the community. Big media companies look at Youtube with the first instinct to sue them for every penny for copyright infringement. But what's different is that Youtube has built a place where they've built fan communities, sizeable communities that are readily accessible to advertisers. A big media network like NBC and Fox saves ad dollars on promoting their shows and gains a great ROI, because they'll get plenty of exposure (and comments) from a substantial audience. The middle ground like TNA Wrestling and Ripe TV are the heart and soul of Youtube in the end, as they're looked upon as fresh content and gain headways in views and in fans. Even one of the world's most popular soccer clubs, Chelsea FC, had recently posted its own Youtube channel. When you look at how Youtube is moving towards a social networking community revolving around videos (with Google ads abound and monetization behind the scenes), given the kind of technology they're testing, their site is still going to run like a machine.

But in the end, time will tell if Youtube, Metacafe, and Revver will be nothing more than a fad because if some guy with a great idea and greater technology to boot comes along, Youtube and company are sunk. In fact, the guys who started Skype and Kazaa, haven't gotten Joost, an IPTV platform off the ground yet in the mainstream, and yet they have a deal with Viacom to broadcast content. No surprises as Viacom had been trying to start up its own Youtube killer app or align itself with one.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk