Viacom sues YouTube for $1 billion. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Viacom sues YouTube for $1 billion.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Viacom sues YouTube for $1 billion.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:58 pm

link

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner since YouTube is basically a video Napster. Maybe they were just waiting for someone like Google to buy YouTube.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Viacom could make out huge too, they have a very good case.

Ever since youtubes merge with google I've hated all the crackdowns on copyright stuff. So many sports clips (NFL especially) were removed among many other videos that had been up forever. Very annoying!
SniperShot
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm willing to bet that Google regrets buying YouTube. And I also want to nominate YouTube's founders for the best example of "sell-high" that I have ever seen.

Not that Google won't fight back and allow YouTube to still be successful. But you have to think that some major cash is going to be swapping hands in the near future.

On the other hand, Viacom is just sour because their networks suck and nobody watches. :-B
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:31 pm

slomo007 wrote:I'm willing to bet that Google regrets buying YouTube. And I also want to nominate YouTube's founders for the best example of "sell-high" that I have ever seen.

Not that Google won't fight back and allow YouTube to still be successful. But you have to think that some major cash is going to be swapping hands in the near future.

On the other hand, Viacom is just sour because their networks suck and nobody watches. :-B

Google bought YouTube knowing full-well that they were going to face lawsuits. Many believe that the future lawsuits were precisely the reason Google bought YouTube (getting the largest installed viral video fan base is a small bonus). A major part of Google's future business plan is at odds with provisions of the DMCA. The buyout of YouTube gives them a front row seat to the precedent lawsuits for that issue and gives their lawyers a crack at fixing a statute that really needs to be fixed anyways.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:35 pm

But the thing is - would anyone really miss the Viacom stuff if it was removed?

I like YouTube a lot. The stuff I tend to watch is more of the home-made variety, not the television clips. If I wanted to see TV clips I'd watch TV. The quality on YouTube is so crummy that there's no comparison to me.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:37 pm

knapplc wrote:But the thing is - would anyone really miss the Viacom stuff if it was removed?

That's how I feel also...but I have a feeling you'll see other major networks jump on board...especially if Google settles this out of court for a lump sum $$$.

Viacom, who really cares about your clips? Not me.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:41 pm

slomo007 wrote:
knapplc wrote:But the thing is - would anyone really miss the Viacom stuff if it was removed?

That's how I feel also...but I have a feeling you'll see other major networks jump on board...especially if Google settles this out of court for a lump sum $$$.

I don't know, whenever I go on there are tons of Comedy Central clips.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I'm just saying that I don't watch their content on YouTube. If I wanted to watch it I'd go to TV where the quality is better.

Instead of throwing money away suing YouTube they need to be more concerned with DVR/TiVo technology. I haven't watched a commercial in years.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:52 pm

knapplc wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I'm just saying that I don't watch their content on YouTube. If I wanted to watch it I'd go to TV where the quality is better.

Instead of throwing money away suing YouTube they need to be more concerned with DVR/TiVo technology. I haven't watched a commercial in years.

yeah, but what if you just want to see a clip from "Jesse get's hooked on caffine pills on Saved by the Bell" or the Best of Troll 2
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:21 pm

Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk