Looks like Boston's choice is Francona. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looks like Boston's choice is Francona.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looks like Boston's choice is Francona.

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:58 pm

Report: Red Sox to name Francona manager

December 3, 2003
BOSTON (Ticker) - Just over a month after parting ways with Grady Little, the Boston Red Sox apparently have settled on Terry Francona as their new manager.

According to a report in Wednesday's Boston Globe, the Red Sox will name Francona, the bench coach of the Oakland Athletics, as their manager on Thursday or Friday.

Francona served as bench coach for the Texas Rangers in 2002 before taking the same job under manager Ken Macha in Oakland. The Athletics lost Game Five of the American League Division Series for the fourth straight year, blowing a two-games-to-none lead to the Red Sox.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 44-year-old Francona managed the Philadelphia Phillies from 1997-00, compiling a 285-363 record. Righthander Curt Schilling, acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks last weekend, played for Francona in Philadelphia and is expected to warmly embrace the hiring.

The Red Sox announced that they would name a manager before the start of the winter meetings in New Orleans on December 12.

According to the Boston Globe, Francona impressed the Red Sox in a November 5 interview and the team has spoken to just two other candidates, Anaheim Angels bench coach Joe Maddon and Los Angeles Dodgers third base coach Glenn Hoffman, who played for Boston.

The Red Sox lost Game Seven of the American League Championship Series to the New York Yankees when Aaron Boone homered in the 11th inning off knuckleballer Tim Wakefield. Little was heavily criticized for leaving ace Pedro Martinez in the game to blow a 5-2 lead in the eighth inning. The Red Sox later elected not exercise his contract for 2004.

Updated on Wednesday, Dec 3, 2003 2:34 pm EST

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:09 pm

Yeah, this has been in the news for days and days now. And let's stay away from the Schilling-as-GM comments because then I'll have to go dig up news stories from before the Schilling trade to show you he was the man for quite some time. :-)

By the way, I like the choice. Seems like a good balance. ;-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:12 pm

Looks like Yahoo news must be running behind.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:15 pm

Madison wrote:

Looks like Yahoo news must be running behind.

Last week, the word was the announcement would come Tuesday (yesterday). Then it was pushed back for some reason...
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:24 pm

I had read a lot of rumors and speculation that Francona was getting the job, but this article seemed pretty concrete.

Then again, I'm sure you get all the Boston news before me. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby ramble2 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:07 pm

Seems like a good match to me. Having spent last season in Beane's dugout, he knows what he's getting into working with Theo and Bill. I'm guessing that Theo consulted Beane once or twice on this one.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:11 pm

Madison wrote:Then again, I'm sure you get all the Boston news before me. :-D

This isn't the first reference, but the Globe now only allows free access to a week's worth of stories.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... schilling/

The Schilling deal unfolded just days before the Sox are expected to announce the hiring of a new manager, Terry Francona, who managed Schilling with the Phillies from '97 to 2000. Schilling initally told reporters he would waive his no-trade clause only to play for the Phillies or Yankees, but he added the Sox to the list after Francona became the front-runner to succeed Grady Little.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers