:-D
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

well

Postby The Cow » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:48 am

The tribe has some nice young arms, but I do not see a young Thome or Ramirez on this roster. Sizemore may come up late in the year, he does appeear to be a solid prospect. As for Phillips, oh I did not forget him, I simply discounted him, he was terrible last year and the word is he was uncoachable, not to mention his huge swing. Who knows maybe he could be this years Hank Blaylock, stranger things have happened. :-o Yikes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:55 am

The Tribe should have a very good team in 2-3 years.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Tribe lineup talk

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:12 am

Yikes wrote:
The Cow wrote:
CF- Milton Bradley- AKA Gameboy, he has some talent who knows

You guys have the players with the funniest names and nicknames in baseball

Should also add RP - J.J. Putz from the Mariners to the Indians roster

that guy must've gotten in a lot of fights when he was young

Jody, Grady, Milton Bradley, Coco, Riske, C.C., and Jhonny spelled wrong. Sounds likes a bunch of strays that they took in and gave baseball gloves to :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: well

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:21 am

The Cow wrote:The tribe has some nice young arms, but I do not see a young Thome or Ramirez on this roster. Sizemore may come up late in the year, he does appeear to be a solid prospect. As for Phillips, oh I did not forget him, I simply discounted him, he was terrible last year and the word is he was uncoachable, not to mention his huge swing. Who knows maybe he could be this years Hank Blaylock, stranger things have happened. :-o Yikes!!!!

True on Manny and Thome, but really, how many Manny types are out there period? Cleveland i think is rebuilding correctly. Thome screwed Cleveland's future by demanding not to be traded, then leaving without compensation. Martinez should hit, and Sizemore looks like a possible Lofton type. Phillips is only a kid 22, he was just overmatched. He has 5 tools.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: well

Postby Tribe-Fan » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:55 am

HOOTIE wrote:True on Manny and Thome, but really, how many Manny types are out there period? Cleveland i think is rebuilding correctly. Thome screwed Cleveland's future by demanding not to be traded, then leaving without compensation. Martinez should hit, and Sizemore looks like a possible Lofton type. Phillips is only a kid 22, he was just overmatched. He has 5 tools.

I hate to disagree with you Hootie, but I have seen this kid play quite a few times, and a Lofton type he is not. He is only 21, is already 200 lbs on a 6'2" frame, and he is just now developing power. The kid is built like a linebacker, and will be getting stronger all the time. He had 96 runs, 13 HR, and 78 RBI with a .300 BA last year in AA, which were all improvements for him while moving up a level, which is always a good sign. I consider him an above average contact hitter with developing power. I have high hopes for him, but I would not expect to see much in the majors from him until 2005. But you never know.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:25 am

TRIBE-FAN Good observations ;-D
You are correct. Using a Lofton comparision wasn't prudent. The fact Grady hit leadoff, and could end up in cf, Loftons old spot, made me think of Lofton. Grady certaintly will hit for more power, and doesn't have Loftons speed.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bell » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:56 am

Didn't I read somewhere that the Indians want to keep Phillips in Triple-A next season (at least for the start) to allow him to continue developing?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:15 am

That is true about Phillips. He, for some reason, decided to become a power hitter last season and really screwed up his swing. As often happens, his power didn't increase but everything else plummeted. The only question is whether he can find his old swing again that made him a top 10 prospect. If so, he'll be back. If not, he may never get another at bat in the majors.

If you want to compare Sizemore to anyone it would be a healthy J.D. Drew. It is true his power isn't there yet, but as is often the case the power is the last to show up. Wasn't Nomar like a 5-10 homer guy in the minors? I remember the same thing with Mattingly. Sizemore has the makings of a 5 scoring category filler, which is pretty rare in fantasy baseball. There's nothing like a 3-5 night with 2 runs, a homer, 3 rbi's and a stolen base for good measure. Tribe-Fan is right. He's probably not going to help you much this year but keep him in mind the moment the gets called up.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevelabny » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:31 am

i drafted sabathia for his rookie season to LAUGHTER and laughed all the way to the bank.

i drafted milton bradley (THE GAME) last year to LAUGHTER and was enjoying a very nice fantasy season until his injury.

i also drafted brandon phillips to a chorus of WHO? last year...
but hey, i cut my losses on him in week 3, so at least i can acknowledge my mistakes.

the indians have always been an ideal team to pick up some fantasy players CHEAP for me.

that said, i will be all over THE GAME again this year.

and for what its worth... brandon phillips so has the milton bradley/ juan encarnacion/ pick your favorite other player who was hyped way early and did nothing, then a few years later turned into a very nice player type. i can see brandon phillips staying on my radar all next season and being picked up at the first sign of talent or drafted again in the future.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers