All of this Yankee lineup talk got me to thinking........ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All of this Yankee lineup talk got me to thinking........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chankees » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:46 am

you doubters are forgetting something... yanks have a new hitting coach this year B-)
chankees

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Yikes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:10 am

I agree with benching pitchers against NY, I did that last year, about 90%.

Only time I had starters start against NY, and not always, is when I had an ace like Zito and when I had a lot of unused innings to chew up in the end.
:-o

Their offense is more likely to burn you than not. Same reasoning goes behind not starting your pitchers against the Rockies at Colorado. Wouldn't be prudent (Dana Carvey impression)
:-D
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:47 am

chankees wrote:you doubters are forgetting something... yanks have a new hitting coach this year B-)

The Yankees have a new hitting coach every year. :-]
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:01 am

Were the Yankees worth benching your starters against last season? With all the All-Stars and money spent on their offense, you'd think so, but they were a distant third in runs scored. I think this ranking proved you should be careful on whom you start against them, but in no way is it an automatic benching for your starters. Will they improve next season? You would think that with Sheffield (assuming he does sign), an improved Giambi, and a healthy Jeter that they would, but baseball's a funny game and we'll never know how the pieces fit until they start playing the games for real.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:37 pm

Let me clarify a few things. I called Lowe scum because of the way he was pointing at his crotch and showing true classlessness in his celebration agianst Oakland. I guess expecting a slight Mariano Rivera fist pump makes me biased against celebrations. Mariano handles himself so well, I'm glad to have him as a Yank.

As far as getitng pitchers burned against the Yankees last year, ie Woody Williams, you gotta realize the period in which they started. Woody was struggling during that period as I recall. He was getting lit by most teams back then. Someone check that, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Also, I said to start Ponson a certain weekday game at the stadium when the Yanks were going through their usual hitting slumps. I didn't suggest him every time.

I find it important that you keep in context the way the team and players are going when making your decision. There's times when the Yankees could get shutdown by anyone. Also, there's times when a pitcher could get lit by anyone.

With all that said, I still wouldn't hesistate to start good starters against the Yanks unless they cut their strikeouts down, start taking pitches more and walking, and stop being so streaky with their run production. That's all I'm saying. I watched them all season and wasn't really impressed with their hitting, aside from a game they got to Pedro.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:03 pm

Anonymous wrote:Let me clarify a few things. I called Lowe scum because of the way he was pointing at his crotch and showing true classlessness in his celebration agianst Oakland. I guess expecting a slight Mariano Rivera fist pump makes me biased against celebrations. Mariano handles himself so well, I'm glad to have him as a Yank.

For the record, he didn't point to his crotch. He slammed his glove against his leg and threw his arm up in the air. I don't think you can knock the guy for one celebration--he just threw two of the nastiest pitches I've ever seen.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby timkell » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:27 pm

I agree with Transmogifier. The A's were just looking for something to whine about.

Lowe didn't point at them or anything. He was just psyched. The A's are just getting sick are tired of getting their butts whipped, and they had to complain about something.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:28 pm

But Lowe WAS wearing a Sox uniform. I still think that's offensive enough.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:05 am

I agree with Transmo and Timkell. I didn't see anything wrong with Lowe's celebration. He wasn't pointing at his crotch. Simply expressing some emotion after throwing a couple of great pitches.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers