All of this Yankee lineup talk got me to thinking........ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All of this Yankee lineup talk got me to thinking........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby timkell » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:55 pm

I agree in theory, Madison, that the Yanks should have a scary lineup next year. It all depends on injuries and come backs.

I think a lot of the guys on the team had subpar years this year. If they come back to their norm, especially Giambi, then they could have a really dominant offense.

That's a really big if though. They have the talent, but they still have to execute. Only time will tell.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:I used to feel good that the Red Sox have classless scum leading their team, ie Manny, Pedro, Lowe, etc, but adding Schilling is totally a bad fit.

Um, I won't argue Manny or Pedro--I see where you can get it--but Lowe? Really? Perhaps this isn't wise to get into, but I'd love to hear--if you can do it without vitrol and explain it rationally--why Lowe is scum.

(Also, Nomar is in no way scum, and he stays on that team. Same with Varitek, Millar and a lot of other new imports--Mueller, Schilling, etc. Perhaps new ownership is avoiding scum--or at least making charater an issue? :-? )
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:11 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I used to feel good that the Red Sox have classless scum leading their team, ie Manny, Pedro, Lowe, etc, but adding Schilling is totally a bad fit.

Um, I won't argue Manny or Pedro--I see where you can get it--but Lowe? Really? Perhaps this isn't wise to get into, but I'd love to hear--if you can do it without vitrol and explain it rationally--why Lowe is scum.

I'm curious as well. :-? I don't remember Lowe doing anything to warrant the "scum" tag. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby timkell » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:20 pm

I'm curious as well. I don't remember Lowe doing anything to warrant the "scum" tag

Isn't it obvious? He put on a Sox uniform!

LOL :-D
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:48 pm

timkell wrote:
I'm curious as well. I don't remember Lowe doing anything to warrant the "scum" tag

Isn't it obvious? He put on a Sox uniform!

LOL :-D

That's the only reason I can think of why someone might say that. 8-o
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:26 am

Anonymous wrote:
Jeter
Bernie
Sheff
Giambi
Matsui
Boone
Posada
Soriano
Johnson

As a Yankee fan that had no hesitation telling others to start their pitchers against the Yankees last year, I will have to reiterate, THEY ARE AN OVERRATED LINEUP. Hell, I harped on their O being their downfall last year, and it turned out to be the reason we lost to Florida. Josh Beckett and Carl Pavano only looked like the second coming because this team has no patience anymore and is tremendously strikeout prone.

What a bunch of poppycock :-t
The lineup was so overrated, they scored 877 runs, 4th best in bb. And thats with no Sheffield, a rookie Matsui, a hurt Giambi, a hurt Jeter. NY was so impatient, they lead bb in WALKS easily.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: All of this Yankee lineup talk got me to thinking........

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:31 am

Madison wrote:Looking at the lineup and the list of hitters:

Jeter
Bernie
Sheff
Giambi
Matsui
Boone
Posada
Soriano
Johnson

That's probably the scariest lineup I've ever seen.

It's right up there. The 99 Indians were better. NY will score 900 easily, and probably around 950.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:48 am

Anonymous wrote:Well, when I was here last year and everyone was telling people to bench the Sydney Ponsons and Gil Meches of the world against the Yanks, I was there to tell people to wisely start them. That's not to say they can't produce big, but I wouldn't fear them as a fantasy owner. I might avoid starting finesse lefties against them, but that's about it.

Ponson's era versus NY was 4.91 :-t

Listen, i have rarely heard such bad advice. Start you pitchers versus NY? About as valid as saying bench your Rockies in Coors. Simple basic math involved here

NY scored 5.38 runs per game
League scored 4.86 runs per game
League era was 4.53

5.38 - 4.86 = .52. That means if you started your pitchers versus NY lineup versus the league, your pitchers would give up .52 additional runs.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:59 am

Anonymous wrote:I'd seriously like to know who you guys were starting against the Yanks that got you burned? I hope you're not talking the Jason Johnsons of the world. I watch the Yanks all year and always bitch about how they can't hit good pitchers.

Good pitchers dont get hit much, thats why they are good pitchers.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:04 am

Madison wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

I'm curious as well. :-? I don't remember Lowe doing anything to warrant the "scum" tag. :-?

Remember when the Sox beat the A's this year in the palyoffs? Remember the crotch chop that Lowe used? I think that's what would make somebody classify him as scum, but IMO he was just excited and reacted in the heat of the moment. Similar to Percival when Anaheim won the WS in 2002. It was blown out of proportion, it's not like he degraded them....and I'm an A's fan ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers