Odd League Rules. Please Help Me Exploit Them! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Odd League Rules. Please Help Me Exploit Them!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby greenandgold » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:04 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:These are the top 20 pitchers and batters projected by CBS under our scoring. At first glace, they appear to be even, but we are only allowed 6 starts every week. Which would cut into the overall point values for their entire season. Every point from the batters would do into your weekly scoring where sometimes you would miss two start weeks.

Does this make sense, or am I confusing myself?

Santana, Johan 720.0
Zambrano, Carlos 656.0
Peavy, Jake 654.0
Myers, Brett 648.0
Beckett, Josh 643.0
Carpenter, Chris 643.0
Oswalt, Roy SP 641.0
Bonderman, Jeremy 635.0
Harang, Aaron 631.0
Lackey, John 629.0
Webb, Brandon 628.0
Halladay, Roy 622.0
Zito, Barry 618.0
Arroyo, Bronson 611.0
Sheets, Ben 602.0

Pujols, Albert 756.0
Ortiz, David 725.0
Howard, Ryan 712.0
Hafner, Travis 672.0
Cabrera, Miguel 671.0
Teixeira, Mark 670.0
Utley, Chase 668.0
Rodriguez, Alex 667.0
Sizemore, Grady 661.0
Berkman, Lance 650.0
Dunn, Adam 647.0
Beltran, Carlos 645.0
Bay, Jason 642.0
Jones, Andruw 639.0
Reyes, Jose 634.0
Wright, David 632.0
Soriano, Alfonso 629.0
Atkins, Garrett 628.0
Ramirez, Manny 626.0
Morneau, Justin 620.0

:-? You are confusing me...

If you buy these point projections I don't see any reason why you would not draft pitchers high, just make sure you don't grab more then 6 good pitchers as you won't be able to use them. Really I don't see how your pitching rule would keep you from getting all the starts from your top pitchers, Santana isn't going to pitch more then 6 times a week. It seems that in this format you want to make sure you have 6 starts every week to maximize your points.

In points leagues it is pretty easy to think of pitchers as just another position and rate position scarcity from there.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScrappyDoo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:18 pm

Well for starters, pitching isnt as important because there are no negative values to punish a starter for a bad outing.

1W, 8 IP, 8 Ks, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB would earn you 27 points

1W, 7 IP, 7Ks, 5 ER, 11 H, 3 BB would earn you 25 points

The points are so heavily dependent on IP and getting wins the hardest stat to predict.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby greenandgold » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:24 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Well for starters, pitching isnt as important because there are no negative values to punish a starter for a bad outing.

The points are so heavily dependent on IP and getting wins the hardest stat to predict.

Whatever, I'm just trying to tell you there is no reason you would miss points from your top pitchers. You are saying you would sometimes miss two start weeks, I don't really see how that could be the case.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:02 pm

6 starts and only one RP allowed? yet there are 2 'P' spots in the lineup. If it were me, I wouldnt have even agreed to join this league. It doesnt seem well thought out. The strat is pretty easy then. Get a bunch of starters and put in whoever is going to start twice. If your best three starters are all pitching twice then bench the rest. There isnt alot of room to do anything else because it seems like the roster limitations were made after whoever came up with this scoring realized all the loopholes that could be used to exploit it.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby ScrappyDoo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:10 pm

I understand your point, I guess I wouldnt miss two start weeks unless I had to because it would put me over 6 starts in a week.

Suppose you started 6 starters and had a pretty good week, 6 starts, 4 wins, 40 IP, 35 K, 5 ER.

So thats 6 + 40 + 40 + 35 for 121 points. And since scoring over 120 regularly isnt likely with only 6 starts unless your staff is Santana, Oswalt, Halladay, Zambrano well assume that in a give week you would avg between 100-120 points a week from starting good pitchers

Now say a bunch of middle of the road pitchers started based on matchups compiled this.

6 starts, 3 wins, 35 IP, 30 K and 20 ER. Thats 97 points despite giving up 4 times as many runs. So starting middle road pitchers, along with some upper tier guys maybe like a Sheets, would average you 80-100 points.

The top 50 hitters last year according to this scoring system all averaged more than 25 points per week, with the top 10 averaging more than 30 a week.

With your weekly pitchers amounting to approximately 6 Starters and 1 RP, and batters amounting to 9 players.

Wouldnt it be better to stack your offense with players that all average 20 points or more a week. With some studs that average 28-30 and end up with about 250-270 a week from your offense which would more than likely make up for your medicore pitching and then some.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:39 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Well for starters, pitching isnt as important because there are no negative values to punish a starter for a bad outing.

Well you just set your priorities right here. Better to spend more on hitters and fill your pitching slots with innings eaters on good teams. No reason paying for Santana, IMO, if there are no negative points for pitching. Go for guys that can hope to net you 12-15 wins and accumulate a lot of innings.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers