Which pitcher offers more fantasy value if traded to Yanks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which pitcher offers more fantasy value if traded to Yanks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which pitcher offers more fantasy value if traded to Yanks

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:07 pm

Kevin Brown or Javier Vazquez? I think it's a tremendously interesting question to address. I don't know where to begin to try and figure this out.

As a Yankee fan, I know about the potential for failure of inexperienced guys, ie Jeff Weaver, so Vazquez could potentially be a total bust in New York. However, with that said, Vazquez also has some of the best stuff in all of baseball and is just reaching his prime. He throws 4 effective pitches and could easily strikeout 220 batters with an ERA ranging anywheres from 3.15 to 4.20 and 15-20 wins.

As far as Kevin Brown is concerned, if he isn't injured, this guy has the nastiest sink in the game and can still strikeout his fair share. It looks so clear that just getting him on a team that can score runs would make him a 20 game winner. But is it that simple? LA is extremely pitcher friendly, although one could argue he can pitch anywhere aside from perhaps turf with that nasty sink.

What's people's thoughts on these 2 scenarios, whether it be as a Yankee fan, anti-Yankee, and/or fantasy owner?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby grammysboy » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:22 pm

I tend to be more anti-Yankee, but fantasy baseball has changed that some.

I think anything the Yankees do to get Jeff Weaver out of their hair is going to be good for them. He is a complete bust there - IMO.

Vasquez will have to be able to handle the spotlight to be effective in pinstripes. As you say, he as all the tools necessary to be very good.

I would hesitate to bring Brown to the Bronx, primarily because of his age and history of injuries. There's not a lot of up-side with Kevin, but if LA will do a "straight-up," Brown for Weaver, I would think the Yanks foolish not to take it.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:26 pm

There's not a lot of up-side with Kevin

You didn't own Brown on your fantasy teams this year, did ya ;-)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:31 pm

but if LA will do a "straight-up," Brown for Weaver

I'd have to say that that trade looks pretty good for the Yanks, considering how Weaver's done in the bronx though, I'd hate to see him leave ;-D :-b

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:26 pm

It'd be a great trade for the Yankees to swap Weaver for Brown ;-D To answer the question from a Yankee fan perspective, I'd rather have Vazquez, but taking into account the costs in acquiring the two players, the Brown trade is more worth making. I'd like to see them both made though ;-D

Fantasy-wise, if both are traded to the Yanks, Vazquez and Brown are pretty equal, with Vazquez having more strikeouts and Brown having better ERA and WHIP. Wins should be the same, with a slight edge to Vazquez because of the health issue, meaning Brown could lose some wins to injury time.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:09 pm

blankman wrote:Fantasy-wise, if both are traded to the Yanks, Vazquez and Brown are pretty equal, with Vazquez having more strikeouts and Brown having better ERA and WHIP. Wins should be the same, with a slight edge to Vazquez because of the health issue, meaning Brown could lose some wins to injury time.

I agree. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:46 pm

Looks like the Brown deal won't happen:

Kevin Brown - S - Los Angeles Dodgers Dec 3

Kevin Brown is willing to waive his no-trade clause to join the Yankees, but he's not going to ask the Dodgers for a trade.
There doesn't appear to be much chance of a deal happening. The Dodgers reportedly turned down an offer of Jeff Weaver for Brown, and there's been no indication that the Yankees are willing to throw in Nick Johnson. Source: Los Angeles Times

Doesn't look like it, but you never know.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DK » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:52 pm

What is with the Yankees holding on to Johnson no matter what? I'd rather have Brown over NJ and Weav. I mean, come on.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:56 pm

DK wrote:What is with the Yankees holding on to Johnson no matter what? I'd rather have Brown over NJ and Weav. I mean, come on.

I wouldn't. NJ is too young and talented to give up for a 39 yr old injury prone pitcher.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby MikeeDee » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:58 pm

NJ is not very young and not very talented. He's not old and is an adequate hitter at 1st. the problem is they don't have anybody else to take his place. on top of that he's their cheapest player and it will cost a lot more to get a replacement at 1st.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers