Vazquez about to become a Yankee? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vazquez about to become a Yankee?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vazquez about to become a Yankee?

Postby Captain Crash » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:22 pm

Talk is that a Javier Vazquez for Nick Johnson deal is only being held up by yes or no on including Juan Rivera - this according to a Yankees fan website and MSG.
Captain Crash
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:29 pm

You'd think that Vaz would be worth more than just Nick Johnson.

But I hope this deal goes down. Vaz only has one year left on his contract, and Johnson is a great, patient hitter. He always made pitchers work. And this also means that Giambi will be in the field.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Vazquez about to become a Yankee?

Postby nsulham » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:37 pm

Captain Crash wrote:this according to a Yankees fan website

Yeah because we all know how reliable those fan sites are, right? :-)

I read that same fan has credible sources working on an ARod for Jeff Weaver story ;-)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ramble2 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:40 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:You'd think that Vaz would be worth more than just Nick Johnson.

But I hope this deal goes down. Vaz only has one year left on his contract, and Johnson is a great, patient hitter. He always made pitchers work. And this also means that Giambi will be in the field.

If this deal goes down, there are also nice consequences for fantasy players. Johnson playing in Montreal is much more likely to fly under the radar at draft time than if he is playing in NY.

If this deal happens, then Montreal becomes the favorite to sign Vlad. Minaya has been saying all year that the Expos can't keep both Vazquez and Guerrero. This would free up salary space for Guerrero.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:23 pm

I don't think this deal hurts the Yanks at all. Giambi may not be a great fielder, but Nick Johnson's fielding abilities have been grossly exaggerated. We'd most likely fill the backup 1B spot with a gold-glove caliber FA like JT Snow or Travis Lee, who'd be there for their great glove only. And if they traded Nick to get Vazquez, you can rest assured they wouldn't let Vazquez leave to free agency.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:58 pm

Anonymous wrote:

I don't think this deal hurts the Yanks at all. Giambi may not be a great fielder, but Nick Johnson's fielding abilities have been grossly exaggerated. We'd most likely fill the backup 1B spot with a gold-glove caliber FA like JT Snow or Travis Lee, who'd be there for their great glove only. And if they traded Nick to get Vazquez, you can rest assured they wouldn't let Vazquez leave to free agency.

I think what he means by Giambi's having to play the field is that he could easily reinjure that knee, and have to spend part of the season on the DL.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:40 pm

IMO, its a good trade for the Yanks, as long as they grab a great fielding backup 1B and give Giambi regular days off at 1B and DH him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby MikeeDee » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:02 pm

I can already see Giambi do the karate-kid crane one leg thing at first. From what i understand his knees won't permit him to play a full season at 1st. if this deal goes through, it might actually hurt the Yankees more than help them. You don't plug a hole by creating a new one......
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers