It's Been a While - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

It's Been a While

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:54 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:im on vista too...its really not that much different whatsoever. this is my mom's computer though...i dont have it on mine yet. everyone saying how bad it is, is likely just an apple yuppie.

Not an Apple yuppie here, but Vista does have some really stupid glitches. The new TCP/IP stack is the most annoying for me. :-[

i dont use it too much, only when i come home on the weekends or whatever, but i havent noticed too much, but then again i dont really use the computer much for "advanced" things.

Rebooting isn't advanced. :-D

Here's the deal for me. I'm on wireless for my laptop. With Vista Ultimate, if I shut down or reboot, I cannot get back on the internet. I have to manually go in, release the IP, tell it to find the network again, and then I can get back on. Takes all of 30 seconds or so, but it's annoying. I'm told it has something to do with the new TCP/IP stack they are using and there will be a patch down the road to fix that problem, but for now I simply classify it as a stupid glitch.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: It's Been a While

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:58 am

Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
JTWood wrote:Now, anyone have any tips for getting used to Vista? :-S

Dump it for XP until sometime in late 2009 when Vista will be "functional".

Unfortunately, that requires a little thing called money. I spent all I'm willing to spend on this laptop and the extra RAM needed to allow Vista to function smoothly.

:-[

The comp came with Vista but not enough RAM to run it right? Where did they sell you such a piece of garbage? :-o

I'm on Vista. Anything specific I might be able to help you with? :-)

Vista Basic needs a half-gig. They gave me a half-gig, but it's a laptop and the video RAM is shared with the general RAM, so I'm actually running short at times. I would have expanded anyways, but that was a great incentive.

Problem #1: Why can't I install Firefox? :~(
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:59 am

Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:im on vista too...its really not that much different whatsoever. this is my mom's computer though...i dont have it on mine yet. everyone saying how bad it is, is likely just an apple yuppie.

Not an Apple yuppie here, but Vista does have some really stupid glitches. The new TCP/IP stack is the most annoying for me. :-[

i dont use it too much, only when i come home on the weekends or whatever, but i havent noticed too much, but then again i dont really use the computer much for "advanced" things.

Here's the deal for me. I'm on wireless for my laptop. With Vista Ultimate, if I shut down or reboot, I cannot get back on the internet. I have to manually go in, release the IP, tell it to find the network again, and then I can get back on. Takes all of 30 seconds or so, but it's annoying. I'm told it has something to do with the new TCP/IP stack they are using and there will be a patch down the road to fix that problem, but for now I simply classify it as a stupid glitch.

I'm on a wireless network, and I don't have that problem. It reestablishes the connection without trouble each time I turn it on.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: It's Been a While

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:02 am

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
JTWood wrote:Now, anyone have any tips for getting used to Vista? :-S

Dump it for XP until sometime in late 2009 when Vista will be "functional".

Unfortunately, that requires a little thing called money. I spent all I'm willing to spend on this laptop and the extra RAM needed to allow Vista to function smoothly.

:-[

The comp came with Vista but not enough RAM to run it right? Where did they sell you such a piece of garbage? :-o

I'm on Vista. Anything specific I might be able to help you with? :-)

Vista Basic needs a half-gig. They gave me a half-gig, but it's a laptop and the video RAM is shared with the general RAM, so I'm actually running short at times. I would have expanded anyways, but that was a great incentive.

Problem #1: Why can't I install Firefox? :~(

Yeah, there are tons of laptops out there with only a half gig of DDR RAM. I made sure to buy one with a full gig. Wouldn't even look at anything with less because I was buying for performance. I put quite a bit of stress on my machines. :-b

Dunno on the problem though. Hadn't even heard of that one before. I went to Mozilla's site and downloaded Firefox with zero problems. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:03 am

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:

I'm on a wireless network, and I don't have that problem. It reestablishes the connection without trouble each time I turn it on.

On Vista Ultimate? It worked fine on Home Professional, but once I upgraded to Ultimate is when that problem started.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:30 am

Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:I'm on a wireless network, and I don't have that problem. It reestablishes the connection without trouble each time I turn it on.

On Vista Ultimate? It worked fine on Home Professional, but once I upgraded to Ultimate is when that problem started.

Oh... No. I'm on Vista Basic. I'm not rich like you. ;-7 :-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 am

Ha! This is exactly what it felt like last night.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:47 am

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:I'm on a wireless network, and I don't have that problem. It reestablishes the connection without trouble each time I turn it on.

Oh... No. I'm on Vista Basic. I'm not rich like you. ;-7 :-D

Ha! Not hardly. :-b Rich maybe in family life and health, but not on the financial side. :*)

I'm really starting to wonder about this new laptop of yours though. Did you shop around at all, or did they just make you some "spectacular" deal? Not enough RAM and Vista Basic? I really hope you didn't spend more than $300-$400 on it. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:51 am

Oh... I'm a cheapskate. I shopped for a couple of weeks. I finally found this computer at Circuit City, and it came bundled with a printer and a wireless router and a ton of rebates. I needed the router, but I'm selling the printer. Total cost after upgrading the RAM and everything will be about $450.

It would have been $50 cheaper if my wife would have let me purchase it during a 5-hour sale they offered last week, but she thought I was "rushing into it" even though I'd been looking everyday for well over a week at that point.

Oh well... :-/

She did admit she was wrong. That's a rarity. :-]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:55 am

I just realized that I paid more for my ball machine last year then I paid for my new laptop. Shoot, I just changed rackets and paid more for the two of them than I did for this computer.

I guess we know where my priorities are. :-D
Last edited by StlSluggers on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk