Any tennis players here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any tennis players here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokeyjoe » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Laean wrote:i play tennis. we were undefeated in our varsity league in my junior year of high school, then repeated in my senior year.

high school tennis was one of the best times of my life.

a tip for serving is try tossing the ball higher and more over your head (a common mistake made by newer people is tossing the ball way out front and trying to hit faster and flatter serves - wait until you're better for that). tossing the ball higher and over your head or slightly behind you will allow you to put more spin on the ball and give you more room to clear the net.

as for consistency, it's just all about repetition. one extra tip for backhands is if you use a two-handed backhand, a lot of newer players make the mistake of pulling with their right arm, instead of pushing with their left. you'll have much more power and control if you push with your left arm. think of it as doing a left handed forehand, with your right hand to just help stabilize and guide your swing a little bit.

Thanks for the tip. I've actually been accidently taking my right hand off the racket on backhands and just hitting with my left hand once or twice, so it's good to know I wasn't completely wrong (although I mostly was :-) ). I've noticed after only about two weeks of practice I've improved dramatically. I'm only a sophomore, so hopefully in the next year or two I can get better and make varsity by senior year.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:40 am

I played varsity all four years in high school, and may go out for the team here in college next year (it's D-III, but the difference for tennis isn't as large as other sports). I'm solid, but not spectacular I guess. My biggest fault is laziness with a practice schedule. If I really practice consistently in a set schedule I'm a lot better, which makes a significant difference on the level I'm playing at.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:06 am

Never played competitively, but I have a couple friends that I get with on occasion to play some tennis. And I'm teaching my son to play too. It's a very good active sport to get into if you're looking for something that keeps you moving, but isn't going to give you a heart attack.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:04 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:It's a very good active sport to get into if you're looking for something that keeps you moving, but isn't going to give you a heart attack.

When I was really young, my father's friend's heart "exploded" (in the doctor's words) while he was playing doubles on the court next to him.

I'm just sayin'. :-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:55 am

So do I assume that none of you guys who play(ed) tennis play(ed) baseball?? I played tennis my freshman year of high school just because I wanted to try something else. Tennis was during baseball for us.

Also, I want to "ditto" what JTWood said about taking advantage of the time you do have now in high school. It may seem like alot now but just wait until the real world hits!! ;-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:58 am

I didn't play baseball. I was too scared of the ball when I was little, and by the time I got over that, I was too far behind everyone else.

Plus, I was good at tennis. :-]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:37 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:It's a very good active sport to get into if you're looking for something that keeps you moving, but isn't going to give you a heart attack.

When I was really young, my father's friend's heart "exploded" (in the doctor's words) while he was playing doubles on the court next to him.

I'm just sayin'. :-o

Moderation. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mugrila » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:45 am

J35J wrote:So do I assume that none of you guys who play(ed) tennis play(ed) baseball?? I played tennis my freshman year of high school just because I wanted to try something else. Tennis was during baseball for us.

I didn't play for the school because it was the same time as baseball. :-/
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:13 pm

J35J wrote:So do I assume that none of you guys who play(ed) tennis play(ed) baseball?? I played tennis my freshman year of high school just because I wanted to try something else. Tennis was during baseball for us.

Pitched and played outfield. ;-D Wasn't spectacular at either though, but I could hit. :-) ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:27 pm

I played a couple sets last summer against a guy that had played Div I baseball in college. His strokes weren't the prettiest, but he could turn on a groundstroke faster than anyone I've ever seen in over 15 years. I hit plenty of shots that I thought he was going to be way behind on because his stance and preparation didn't seem quick enough. Then he'd just uncork, and I'd find myself in trouble for having cheated to the wrong side of the court.

I don't know what exercises you baseball guys do to develop that rotational speed/strength, but I want some.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk