100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any tennis players here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:07 am

AcidRock23 wrote:
Madison wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I like tennis more than golf b/c 1) it is free

It can be quite expensive though. I haven't played in years, but good rackets were going for $200-$300 in my day (and I carried 6 indentical rackets), plus stringing them at $20-$30 per string (and I broke several strings daily/weekly), "fresh" tennis balls at $3 per can since they go flat over time/use, plus shoes wear out in no time flat (soles get burned down to nothing), etc, etc, etc.

I never thought of tennis as a "free" sport. :-o

Compared to golf it is practically free. A nice driver can set you back as much as a posh raquet...and you are not even on the green yet. Golf balls are like $20 a dozen for ok balls and I have not ever played at a tennis court where hitting the ball into a lake, into the woods or into deep grass was an issue. Then there's a glove and shoes (at least you can wear tennis shoes around town...) and you still haven't hit the course.

Most of the time, a round of golf will run at least $30 and I live in the boondocks in Champaign. When I've golfed in Chicago, $50-75 is about entry level. Golf also smokes lots of time on the weekend and then, after being out on the course for four or five hours, you get home and you are 1/2 schlitzed (beer girls, @ $5.00/ can...) and about ready for a nap, while your wife has been stalking around the house looking for chores OR has been out shopping, blowing more money on top of what you blew. Yikes.

Tennis, once you have the stuff, it lasts a while, other than a can of balls every couple of sessions. I don't bother getting my raquet restrung these days. We even have a grass court locally that you can generally walk on to. ;-D

True, golf is a ton more expensive. No disagreement or arguement here. :-D

However, it's kinda like saying a Porche costs money, while a Lexus is free. ;-) Not quite accurate. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 am

I only carry four, $200 rackets, while only getting them strung every other week. A can of balls lasts two matches with me, and my shoes never burn out on the soles. I always burn out the toe dragging it on my backhand side.

You forgot to include the cost of clothing, too. I go through cheap t-shirts and socks like they're kleenex.

Anyways, as you can see, Mad, I am plainly inferior to you. ;-7 :-D

Pokeyjoe, other than what Mad said, I might also suggest investing in this little guy. I generally serve a bucket of balls to warm up, do Mad's previously prescribed sprints and lunges while picking them up, load up the machine, hit until I can't feel my legs (always running to pick up the balls), then serve one more bucket to end the day.

After that, I either run a couple miles or go do some suicide sprint drills. When it comes to getting in shape for tennis, I highly recommend doing a lot of your running after you've hit a bunch of tennis. Most people are going to be in identical shape during that first set. It's the late-second and entire third sets where your workout regime and dedication start to pay dividends.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:39 am

JTWood wrote:I only carry four, $200 rackets, while only getting them strung every other week. A can of balls lasts two matches with me, and my shoes never burn out on the soles. I always burn out the toe dragging it on my backhand side.

You forgot to include the cost of clothing, too. I go through cheap t-shirts and socks like they're kleenex.

Anyways, as you can see, Mad, I am plainly inferior to you. ;-7 :-D

:-b

When you break as many strings as I did in my day, 4 just isn't enough. I actually broke 5 in two sets (that we split) and had to send my coach on an emergency errand run to restring 4 of them. I broke the 5th string while he was gone and was on my last one but he made it back. Oddly enough, I didn't break a string in the third set, but I did break a few the rest of the day, so it definitely wasn't wasted. :-b

Balls can last two matches if I dispose of my opponent quickly. B-) :-D

As to shoes, I bought a pair of Reebok once that I totally flattened and split the bottoms in less than 6 weeks. Never bought Reebok again. Nike or bust after that, and even to this day, I buy nothing but Nike shoes. :-D

Clothing.....Not sure if I really want to go there, but remember the stuff Andre Agassi wore when he broke into tennis? All the crazy neon Nike stuff? I had basically all of them (entire outfits - shirt, shorts, shoes), and if you've really shopped for that kind of thing, you know what they cost. :-o They last forever though, so all in all, they cost quite a bit, but I made it back in how long they lasted. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:22 am

Were you using 17-gauge string, Mad?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:45 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Were you using 17-gauge string, Mad?

I tried it all. I preferred high gauge string. Felt like I got better feel and control, but did use lower gauge string some (mostly for practice though).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:51 pm

Madison wrote:I tried it all.

I've heard that about you. :-b

Madison wrote:I preferred high gauge string. Felt like I got better feel and control, but did use lower gauge string some (mostly for practice though).

Okay, now I don't feel so bad. I was going through 16-gauge every week to two weeks during the busy parts of the year in high school and college. I couldn't fathom how you were tearing up string so fast, and then I remembered that some of you rich kids played with 17-gauge because it breaks in faster and offers more power and touch. It just wears down infinitely faster.

Rich snob. :-b

I'm kidding. If I were any sort of good, I'd use 17-gauge, too. I just can't justify paying to string my racket that often if I'm not getting paid to play.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:01 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Madison wrote:I tried it all.

I've heard that about you. :-b

Madison wrote:I preferred high gauge string. Felt like I got better feel and control, but did use lower gauge string some (mostly for practice though).

Okay, now I don't feel so bad. I was going through 16-gauge every week to two weeks during the busy parts of the year in high school and college. I couldn't fathom how you were tearing up string so fast, and then I remembered that some of you rich kids played with 17-gauge because it breaks in faster and offers more power and touch. It just wears down infinitely faster.

Rich snob. :-b

I'm kidding. If I were any sort of good, I'd use 17-gauge, too. I just can't justify paying to string my racket that often if I'm not getting paid to play.

It was just a matter of doing my absolute best back then. Higher gauge was better for my game, so it was either be prepared and play at 100%, or go to a lower gauge and not be at 100%.

Guess it's like golf. With a certain driver you have better control and can hit it farther, but you settle for a cheaper driver that doesn't have that kind of control or length. If I'm going to do something competitively, I do whatever I can to give myself the best advantage (provided it's legal of course :-b ).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby pokeyjoe » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:10 pm

Wow, you guys are miles ahead of me. I just played casually up until this year, when I decided to play on my high school team since they don't cut and some of my friends play. Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll start implementing them when I get a chance. It's hard to get full workouts like you guys reccomend when I have school til 3 every day, tennis after school six days a week, a couple school clubs, practicing with my band, and just having time to chill...its hard. :-b
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:26 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:Wow, you guys are miles ahead of me. I just played casually up until this year, when I decided to play on my high school team since they don't cut and some of my friends play. Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll start implementing them when I get a chance. It's hard to get full workouts like you guys reccomend when I have school til 3 every day, tennis after school six days a week, a couple school clubs, practicing with my band, and just having time to chill...its hard. :-b

Just wait until it's work until 4, 5, or later, wife, kids, pets, house, yard, bills, gov't paperwork... :-o

Take advantage of the time you have. ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Laean » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:56 pm

i play tennis. we were undefeated in our varsity league in my junior year of high school, then repeated in my senior year.

high school tennis was one of the best times of my life.

a tip for serving is try tossing the ball higher and more over your head (a common mistake made by newer people is tossing the ball way out front and trying to hit faster and flatter serves - wait until you're better for that). tossing the ball higher and over your head or slightly behind you will allow you to put more spin on the ball and give you more room to clear the net.

as for consistency, it's just all about repetition. one extra tip for backhands is if you use a two-handed backhand, a lot of newer players make the mistake of pulling with their right arm, instead of pushing with their left. you'll have much more power and control if you push with your left arm. think of it as doing a left handed forehand, with your right hand to just help stabilize and guide your swing a little bit.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk