Any tennis players here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any tennis players here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any tennis players here?

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Anybody play tennis? I'm just starting to play for my school, and I'm not bad, I'm just wildly inconsistent. Other than my serve, I can play decently, I return the ball well and stuff.

Just curious if anyone else enjoys the fine sport of tennis.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DevilDriver » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:12 pm

I play tennis, and i'm really good.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:49 pm

I've heard of this sport. Technically, if you asked the USTA, I'm a 4.5 player.

I don't know that I agree, but I guess I won't argue too much. :-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:51 pm

I played on my H.S. team. Not for several years though, but I did enjoy it.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Mugrila » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 pm

I play a little.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:00 pm

I used to play a lot. One thing I would suggest, if your serve can stand improvement, would be to try tossing the ball up a bit higher than however high you are tossing it. I haven't played too much recently but my serve has gotten pretty devastating, in the 40 year old B/C circuit. Tossing it higher seemed to make it easier for me to see the ball coming down and make (much) better contact with it.

I like tennis more than golf b/c 1) it is free 2) less time consuming 3) more exercise if you play hard. It is utterly pointless to toss down brewskis and cigars while playing tennis though...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:08 pm

JTWood wrote:I've heard of this sport. Technically, if you asked the USTA, I'm a 4.5 player.

I'm sure STL Slugger will find this thread. He would wipe you off the court.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby JTWood » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Tavish wrote:
JTWood wrote:I've heard of this sport. Technically, if you asked the USTA, I'm a 4.5 player.

I'm not worried about Sluggers. I'm worried about our friendly Madmin. He's a professional bowler, and he had tennis scholarships and sponsorships knocking on his door before leaving the sport. Them natural athletes are intimidating!

:-o :-o
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:43 pm

JTWood wrote:
Tavish wrote:

I'm not worried about Sluggers. I'm worried about our friendly Madmin. He's a professional bowler, and he had tennis scholarships and sponsorships knocking on his door before leaving the sport. Them natural athletes are intimidating!

:-o :-o

:-D

Yeah, but I'm an old man now. Bad knee and bad wrist. Then again, the last time I got on a court, it all did come back to me fairly quick. O:-)

AcidRock23 wrote:I like tennis more than golf b/c 1) it is free

It can be quite expensive though. I haven't played in years, but good rackets were going for $200-$300 in my day (and I carried 6 indentical rackets), plus stringing them at $20-$30 per string (and I broke several strings daily/weekly), "fresh" tennis balls at $3 per can since they go flat over time/use, plus shoes wear out in no time flat (soles get burned down to nothing), etc, etc, etc.

I never thought of tennis as a "free" sport. :-o

To pokeyjoe, if your serve needs work, grab a bucket, and a ton of balls (don't even have to be new for that - flat balls work just as well for working on consistancy). You don't need anyone to return the serve, so it's really easy to practice it all the time. When picking up the balls, do it like running lines and you'll improve your game in more ways than one when you do that practice. Serve them all, run them like lines to pick them up, repeat. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:58 pm

Madison wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I like tennis more than golf b/c 1) it is free

It can be quite expensive though. I haven't played in years, but good rackets were going for $200-$300 in my day (and I carried 6 indentical rackets), plus stringing them at $20-$30 per string (and I broke several strings daily/weekly), "fresh" tennis balls at $3 per can since they go flat over time/use, plus shoes wear out in no time flat (soles get burned down to nothing), etc, etc, etc.

I never thought of tennis as a "free" sport. :-o

Compared to golf it is practically free. A nice driver can set you back as much as a posh raquet...and you are not even on the green yet. Golf balls are like $20 a dozen for ok balls and I have not ever played at a tennis court where hitting the ball into a lake, into the woods or into deep grass was an issue. Then there's a glove and shoes (at least you can wear tennis shoes around town...) and you still haven't hit the course.

Most of the time, a round of golf will run at least $30 and I live in the boondocks in Champaign. When I've golfed in Chicago, $50-75 is about entry level. Golf also smokes lots of time on the weekend and then, after being out on the course for four or five hours, you get home and you are 1/2 schlitzed (beer girls, @ $5.00/ can...) and about ready for a nap, while your wife has been stalking around the house looking for chores OR has been out shopping, blowing more money on top of what you blew. Yikes.

Tennis, once you have the stuff, it lasts a while, other than a can of balls every couple of sessions. I don't bother getting my raquet restrung these days. We even have a grass court locally that you can generally walk on to. ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk