No More Metal Bats? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

No More Metal Bats?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:34 pm

It's simply the cost. If the cost of using wooden bats wasn't so high (due to them breaking), then there wouldn't even really be a discussion on this. Unfortunately, due to the cost, metal will probably be around for a long time. I'd personally like to see all baseball at all levels use wood bats, but I've got no clue how to fund that. Not even the sporting goods companies would be willing to donate that many bats I don't think. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:57 pm

yeah wooden bats break way too much. in hs, i would use wooden bats for a good porton of batting practice and then switch over to aluminum toward the end and then during games. i broke quite a few. and not just getting jammed either. it took me a little while to get used to swinging the wood, thus me cracking a few. but at the same time, i never saw anyone get seriously injured because of an aluminum bat. there are injuries in every sport. you dont hear football coaches asking for everyone to wear foam helmets because they can cause injuries. there are obvious risks in every sport. i think you just have to deal with them. sure you can try to do things to make them safer, but the amount of times a pitcher is hit with a comebacker and sustains a serious injury is minimal. AND, even with a wooden bat, a baseball to the chest or head is going to cause damage either way. a few mph at the end isnt making that much a difference.
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby emb0lus » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:57 am

I feel sorry for the kid who had the cardiac arrest and i think if I were that kids father, I would be looking for something to hang the blame on and feel some justice out of the whole thing. I would want something to be done so that I would not feel like my son was in a coma just because I let him play a sport that he got hurt in and I could have prevented it by not letting him play at all - obviously this is a drastic look, but unless you have kids, it is hard to understand.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:26 am

I like them getting rid of the metal bats. Those things are dangerous especially in HS and College
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:33 am

emb0lus wrote:I feel sorry for the kid who had the cardiac arrest and i think if I were that kids father, I would be looking for something to hang the blame on and feel some justice out of the whole thing. I would want something to be done so that I would not feel like my son was in a coma just because I let him play a sport that he got hurt in and I could have prevented it by not letting him play at all - obviously this is a drastic look, but unless you have kids, it is hard to understand.

That's a pretty dismal outlook on the thought process of the father. As a father I know there are always going to be some risks I put my son in when I allow him to play athletics. If he were to get hurt and I saw something I thought would help future kids avoid the same injury I would like to think I would pursue it as he is. It has very little to do with trying to appease a guilty conscience.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Mugrila » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:17 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I like them getting rid of the metal bats. Those things are dangerous especially in HS and College

I wouldn't mind, though it seems more feasible for college. I never saw a single injury in 4 years of varsity that could be traced to a metal bat. I did have an inch long cut under my eye that was pretty nasty, but that was simply from a freak accident on the basepaths and goes to show there is always a risk involved in any kind of competitive athletics.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Mugrila wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:I like them getting rid of the metal bats. Those things are dangerous especially in HS and College

I wouldn't mind, though it seems more feasible for college. I never saw a single injury in 4 years of varsity that could be traced to a metal bat. I did have an inch long cut under my eye that was pretty nasty, but that was simply from a freak accident on the basepaths and goes to show there is always a risk involved in any kind of competitive athletics.

i saw a pitcher get his shinn broke from a line drive off of the bat :-P
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:12 pm

I love the ping of the bat and the crack of the wood both.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:23 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I love the ping of the bat and the crack of the wood both.

That ping is unmistakeable. I live across the street from a park and i hear it all night
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby emb0lus » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Tavish wrote:
emb0lus wrote:I feel sorry for the kid who had the cardiac arrest and i think if I were that kids father, I would be looking for something to hang the blame on and feel some justice out of the whole thing. I would want something to be done so that I would not feel like my son was in a coma just because I let him play a sport that he got hurt in and I could have prevented it by not letting him play at all - obviously this is a drastic look, but unless you have kids, it is hard to understand.

That's a pretty dismal outlook on the thought process of the father. As a father I know there are always going to be some risks I put my son in when I allow him to play athletics. If he were to get hurt and I saw something I thought would help future kids avoid the same injury I would like to think I would pursue it as he is. It has very little to do with trying to appease a guilty conscience.

Of the articles I have read, the father often uses the phrase "my son is doing a sentence" which leads me to believe he is looking for justice - justice for what happened to his son. Maybe he is doing it to prevent this from happening to other kids but it has been my experience that parents more so than siblings experience a lot of guilt in situations like this, may it be rational or irrational. For instance, a few months ago a mother was blaming herself for her son's condition after he was hit by a drunk driver even though there was nothing she coudl have done about it other than never let her son drive. Maybe I was too harsh in saying he was trying to appease his guilty conscience, but it is not a far-fetched idea and one cannot say where this idea to ban metal bats first started. Perhaps it was durng a time of guilt, or possibly after he had grieved and had accepted the reality of his son's condition and is now putting his energy into changing the future of other children.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk