100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

No More Metal Bats?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No More Metal Bats?

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:04 pm

Franco makes pitch against metal bats
Updated: Mar.12, 2007, 4:13 pm EDT
NEW YORK (AP) -- New York's City Council is considering a ban on metal bats, with former New York Mets reliever John Franco testifying Monday in sport of the proposal.

Franco and the bill's supporters say metal bats hit balls faster and harder.

"I'm speaking from someone who was standing on the mound for 22 years, and I can see the difference," Franco told a council committee on Monday. "And while I'm standing in the stands watching my son play, or some of the other Little Leaguers, I can see the difference."

Franco said afterward he hopes a New York City high school ban would inspire others to follow. The council votes on the bill Wednesday.

New York Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina and other opponents have said previously there is no evidence to suggest metal bats are more dangerous.

Similar measures have been proposed by youth leagues and lawmakers in other states, including New Jersey, where a batted ball struck a 12-year-old boy in the chest, sending him into cardiac arrest. He was revived by spectators but was in a coma for months.

His father, Joseph Domalewski, told the committee on Monday his son sustained brain damage and still cannot walk.

"My son is doing a sentence, and to me the only thing he did wrong is to pitch to a guy holding a metal bat," he said.

Mussina and the ban's opponents believe the anti-metal movement relies on emotional anecdotes, but no scientific data. In 2005, an American Legion Baseball study found no substantial scientific evidence to support the argument that wooden bats are safer than metal, which has been in use since the early 1970s.

"I don't think it matters whether it's aluminum or wood or whatever the material is," Mussina said last fall. "I've been hit in the face. It's just part of it. I can understand they're emotional about it. But I don't see there's any more danger playing with aluminum or some other material."

Mussina is a member of the board of Little League Baseball, which also opposes the council's ban, along with sporting goods makers such as Easton Sports.

David Ettinger, an attorney for Easton, called the proposal "utterly irrational" on Monday. He indicated that the dispute might end up in court if it passes on Wednesday and is signed into law.

A spokesman for Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the mayor is skeptical about the merits of the measure but has not decided whether he would veto the bill.

Link
Last edited by Another Blown Save on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:13 pm

poor little kids has to swing the heavy wood bat now? :-[ ;-7
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:30 pm

If metal bats don't enhance performance, then why are they banned from MLB? Seems sort of silly to allow its use all the way up to college level and then have to switch wooden bats.

Personally, I'd like to see all wooden bats but not taking sides either way.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Like them or not, until wood bats become cost efficient for little leaguers, metal bats are here to stay. I would be more in favor of no metal bats for adult rec baseball and softball. I see at least a half dozen injuries each year from balls rocketing off the juiced bats. And the injury part is just one of the problems with them. It is taking much of the skill out of the game and making it more of a contest of who has the best "not yet illegal" bat.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:09 pm

Back in highschool our league switched to wooden bats. We were each alloted 2 bats for the season, after that we had to pay to order more. I broke my first two really early in the season (one during preseason batting practice), and if i remember correctly most of the other starters had to order at least 1 or 2 new bats. As Tavish said, it just isn't economical to use wooden bats.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby j24jags » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:17 pm

I'm on the HS Varsity team and we are still using metal. I had a personal trainer who made me use a wooden bat of similar dimensions/length and I did not find it was a problem.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:04 pm

I'm not sure how I feel on this. I really don't think Timmy the 1st grader needs to be using a wooden bat, but at the same time I feel at the Junior High and High School levels it could make a major difference. My senior year in HS I saw some kids just flat out rake with metal bats and I could see the wooden bats making a slight difference. Legitimate baseball prospects are gonna have to get used to it someday anyways, might as well be while they are younger and developing. Also, wooden bats are a lot cooler in my opinion.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:06 pm

tuff_gong wrote:I'm not sure how I feel on this. I really don't think Timmy the 1st grader needs to be using a wooden bat, but at the same time I feel at the Junior High and High School levels it could make a major difference. My senior year in HS I saw some kids just flat out rake with metal bats and I could see the wooden bats making a slight difference. Legitimate baseball prospects are gonna have to get used to it someday anyways, might as well be while they are younger and developing. Also, wooden bats are a lot cooler in my opinion.

Well a lot of the top prospects do use wooden bats in the Cape Cod League.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby ThatDude » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:47 pm

I've still got the first wooden bat I ever bought. I never used it in serious competition, instead I used it at the sandlot and about 90% of the time we used those baseball-like rubber balls, mainly because they were cheaper.

These days it has been taken out of baseball duties. I love the sound the Louisville Slugger makes when it strikes a kneecap, so it's kept as a backup to the home alarm system.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:58 pm

metal is still appropriate for HS, but college players are good enough that it is not safe for pitchers.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to General Talk