when to take vladdy this year?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

when to take vladdy this year??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:12 pm

I would take Ortiz and M-Cab in the first ahead of him and hope he slips to you in the 2nd, which I think has about the same chance as Crawford slipping to you, which is an average chance.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:45 am

I think you could do worse than Vlad at 8. Personally I would take Ortiz and possibly MCab over him. I wouldn't think Crawdaddy would make it back to you in the 2nd.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:54 am

yeah i like vlad 12-15 i guess. i think the reason why hes looked at as "old" is because hes been producing for such a long time. but i do think his 31 yo legs/feet/back are more like 33 or 34 since he played on that terrible turf for the beginning portion of his career.
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby noles1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Rockiesfan wrote:He slipped to me In the Second Round in a Recent H2H 10 Team draft after I had the Second overall pick. I think I got a great steal. ;-D

In a 10 Team H2H draft he fell to me in the 3rd round, pick #24. OF picks went Soriano, Sizemore, Bay, Beltran, Berkman, Dunn, A.Jones, Guerrero. I felt very lucky. Also, Manny Ramirez almost fell to me in the 4th. He went #30, I had the #37 pick.

I don't think that will happen. But he may fall to the second, but in a 12 team league that may be iffy. If you want him take him in the first.
noles1 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laean » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:19 am

i don't get why people would take mcab over vlad.

mcab never hit 35 homers before, and doesn't steal any bases. vlad gets just as good avg, steals 10-15, and is pretty much a lock for 35 homers.

is it because he's older? he's only 31 though, that's still right in the middle of a slugger's prime. i'd only start worrying when he's about 33-34.

anyway, i'd take him with the #8 pick.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:25 am

Vladdy the Impaler wrote:besides the obvious
1-6: pujols, soriano, arod, santana, howard, reyes

depending on who's on the board... who would you guys take:
utley, vlad, crawford, wright, ortiz, beltran, mcab

im aiming for vlad/ortiz.... then crawford on way back... wat you guys think??

Well Howard doesn't belong in that list, but after the other 5 are gone your best choices are Crawford if you really like SB's early, Vlad if you want best overall player or arguably Beltran if you are a believer, Utley if you want the position scarcity or Ortiz if you want raw Power. Taking Howard over Ortiz in the 1st round is a weak move, more risk with not really anymore reward.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:21 am

Laean wrote:i don't get why people would take mcab over vlad.

mcab never hit 35 homers before, and doesn't steal any bases. vlad gets just as good avg, steals 10-15, and is pretty much a lock for 35 homers.

is it because he's older? he's only 31 though, that's still right in the middle of a slugger's prime. i'd only start worrying when he's about 33-34.

Mi-Cab has finished ahead of Vladdy the past two years, and is constantly improving as a hitter. Not only is he young, but consistantly healthy, and if he ever develops the power he has into HR's, the guy will be a Pujols clone.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Laean » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:16 am

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:

Mi-Cab has finished ahead of Vladdy the past two years, and is constantly improving as a hitter. Not only is he young, but consistantly healthy, and if he ever develops the power he has into HR's, the guy will be a Pujols clone.

yeah i see that under yahoo he has been ranked higher than vlad the past 2 years. i don't put much stock into yahoo ranks or o-ranks though.

33 homers in 04, 33 in 05, 26 in 06. sure, his walks went up in 06, so his batting eye is improving, or maybe it's just cuz they had no protection that year, but that won't help in 5x5 fantasy baseball.

i'll give you that. but vlad himself is only 31, i don't think he should be downgraded based on age/health concerns just yet.

yeah, if he ever. sorry if i'm wrong, but i thought this post was about a single year league, not a keeper. if it's a single year league, mcab's potential to become pujols is irrelevant, as i don't see this as the year that he becomes 120 45+ 120+ 5+ .330
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:34 am

I wouldn't say Vlad is a lock for 35 homers. He's been about on pace with M-Cab the last few years, though Miguel had a few less homers last year but increased his doubles to 50. In 2004 and 2005 each, M-Cab his 33 homers with very similar numbers to Vlad. M-Cab is on the upswing of his career while Vlad is closer to the downside of his.

I'd say they are nearly identical producers right now across the board.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby alchemy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm a huge fan of Vlad but MCab's 3B eligibility makes him much more valuable.

Also, it seems that the injuries are starting to take a toll on Vlad taking him from godly to all-star status.
alchemy
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers