Workout/Weight Loss Tips & Tricks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Workout/Weight Loss Tips & Tricks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:01 am

Grouperman941 wrote:A lot of ex-swimmers find that it is very difficult to get a good enough cardio workout swimming after an initial training period (usually a few weeks). Eventually, even if you are up to sprinting 100s, you need more than 45 minutes to really get your body going. I think that the better you were when you were competing the more pronounced the effect. I also run into a problem of motivation with swimming. It is a lot different when you are not training for anything.

Uh oh... Back in the day I was 10th at Nationals in the mile. I might be in trouble. :-o

Might have to roll with the elliptical machine or something else. :-b

Thanks for the tips gents. If anyone else wants to add, I'm more than happy to take the advice. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby emb0lus » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:48 am

RugbyD wrote:ex-swimmer here as well. swimming will be good to mix in, but not use exclusively for cardio. i prefer elliptical b/c its non-impact, but i run once in a while as well, but only on grass or fine aggregate to keep away the shin splints. treadmills are a bit of a waste IMO b/c there's no resistance.

30 people will tell you 30 different things about what to lift and in what order so find whatever routine works best for you after trying a bunch. general rule is that if you aren't sore within about 24 hours of lifting, your're wasting you time if adding muscle weight is one of your goals.

FORM FORM FORM FORM!!!!!!!! Do it right. You'll notice some smaller types lifting more weight than it looks like they should be. they can do it b/c they throw and contort their body around in an effort to get to final position of the lift. These people don't lift weight, they shift it, and they are wasting their time. Don't be that guy.

Keep safe. in any sort of exercise where your are pressing your hands away from your body, dont let your elbows go narrower than 90 degrees. over time, rotator cuff damage is the result of not following this advice.

adding muscle is intergral to losing weight. the more you have, the more calories your body burns in daily maintenance. cardio can have a catabolic effect on muscle mass, so if your doing tons of it, don't expect to add a lot of muscle mass. your body prefers to burn protien rather than fat when really stressed b/c its easier fuel.

the business about the fat burning heart rate zone can be misleading. that is really just the range where your fat burning efficiency is highest for the amount of exertion you're putting out. bottom line is higher heart rate = more calories burned.

low reps and heavier weight is better for adding pure bulk and maxing strength. higher reps will add less mass, but more defined and conditioned, generally speaking.

when lifting getting the weight from point A to point B is not as important as feeling it every step of the way. study muscle anatomy to know what muscle is where and be able to picture it contracting with every rep. helps you focus on your lifting and usually get you through the last bitch of a rep or 2. i highly recommend this book. very highly: http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training ... 740&sr=1-1

a lot of what he said

but if you are like me, then you don't have time to wipe yourself let alone workout, so i decided to get the maximum muscle workout in the shortest amount of time possible which is basically negative workouts in my basement using my own body weight. I put up a bar and do a few chin ups - but i let myself down over a full 10 seconds - i use narrow underhand grip for biceps and wide overhand grip for lats. Then I do pushups but I lower myself slowly over 15 seconds - same thing with dips using a makeshift dip station out of some sawhorses I have, finally, I do a handstand up against a wall and slowly lower my head down to the floor which gets the shoulders.
Did i also mention that I am too cheap to buy equipment?

For cardio, I run on the treadmill while I watch TV with my wife - we have a big tv and it is loud, so I get the quality time worked in there too :) I would love to swim but don't live close enough to any pools.
My 'weight lifting' takes about 20-30 minutes, and running depends on how many miles - i usually target my 80% max HR for 20 min.

One caveat, I didn't do this to lose weight - I had borderline high BP and the muscle I used to have from weight lifting in college was gone and turned to flab.

Oh, and look for my exercise video this fall ;-D
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:52 am

RugbyD wrote: treadmills are a bit of a waste IMO b/c there's no resistance.

I used to think this exactly. When I hit a plateau cardio-wise, and I was not really in that good of shape (and I could work out in the pool for an hour without feeling like I'd done much) one of the advisors at my gym showed me how to use the treadmill to maximize my cardio time. It is very boring, but results were immediate.

I now swim occasionally, do the treadmill, elliptical, and a baseball workout that was part of my shoulder rehab, for cardio. I end up doing each a few times a month and none of them really get old.

BP -- if you were a distance swimmer at that level, you better block out some serious time for a good cardio workout in the pool. ;-)

Form comes back fast, and breathing, too -- when I first got back into swimming, I was having muscles fail long before I was really winded. Then the muscles caught up pretty quickly.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:18 pm

i know a decent amount about training, dieting and supps. if you want pm me any questions and ill try to help. ive made a cutting diet, bulking diet and maintain phase for myself and pretty successful at it. i also have tried out a few diff routines, currently using OVT. my supp histroy ranges from many diff types of protein powders, MRPs, creatines and other supps. currently cutting and supps taking are xfactor, ebol and san tight. almost everyone on here can give better help on baseball trades and whatnot so this can be my way of giving back to you guys for helping me out a ton in both baseball and football.
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Workout/Weight Loss Tips & Tricks

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Ok, let me preface this by saying I've never worked out for fitness' sake. My working out in the past was always with one purpose in mind - swimming as fast as possible. Anyway, being that it's been about four years since swam in my last race and I'm bigger than I should be and want to be, I've decided to finally do something about it. I'm 6'4" and about 260, and could stand to lose anywhere from 30 to 50 lbs. I eat pretty good for the most part, so I'm not gaining weight any more, but I'm not losing any either.

Now, it used to be that I swam for about four hours a day. No time for that any more, obviously. Also, muscle mass was never a goal in the past and not particularly useful. While I'm at it, I'd certainly like to build some strength and get some tone. I don't think my body's built to ever put on a ton of muscle, but I can deal with that. What I am very interested in, however, is that muscle seems to help with the old metabolism and everything else, so that would probably be good.

I picked up a membership to a Bally's that's close to my house, so I'm thinking I can make time to hit it for an hour or so four or five times a week. It has a pool, which I will use for cardio. Low-impact, works the whole body, plus it's something I know and enjoy, etc. Plus I can gear up the intensity a bit once I start getting my feel back.

But what else should I be doing? Should I be swimming three times a week and doing some weight stuff the other two days? Should I be swimming all five days but throw some weights into the mix on a couple of the days? Anything else in particular that I should be focusing on with regards to building some muscle?

I know there are some meatheads around here that can probably help me get on the right track. Thanks for any input.

id say incorporate swimming and HIIT training as cardio. hiit is high intensity interval training and great for people that dont fare well with running. you jog/run in intervals of about a minute, start somewhere easy maybe 12 min and move your way up. once you can go with 20-30min with relative ease you can take it a notch up and go faster. its not that important when you do cardio as much as it is that you actually do it. most people over analyze everything and dont see the real picture. since its almost summer i suggest not trying to gain muscle, that may sound stupid but you cannot gain muscle unless you up your cals quite a bit. you said you need to lose 30-50lbs so id worry about that first, then over the winter i can help you with a muscle/mass program and youll be on your way.
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:47 pm

Ugh, so many ex-swimmers, I'm one too. For some reason whenever I'm near the pool, I get all giddy, then all of a sudden I feel really burned out.

Nowadays to get my cardio I generally play bball for hours on end. I prefer actually doing something when I'm running rather than looking at all the pretty scenery. The only issue is that my knee starts acting all funky after a while, so I have to limit it.

Other than that I do a simple 2x a week workout because I don't have the time for anything else. Upper body one day, lower body the next. I'm thinking about amping it up because I'm coming back from an ankle that I've sprained twice in the past 6 months.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:53 pm

I didn't get a chance to hit this thread right away, but I'm here now. Some great advice! ;-D

Personally BP, I've found that weight loss and health are largely a result of nutrition. Eat a high protein diet, lots of chicken. Wake up, eat a protein bar or shake. I read recently that the two most important parts of being healthy are- exercise, and eating breakfast. If eating breakfast is as important as exercise, you should never skip it! It gets your body started burning calories right after you eat, so do it immediately after waking.

Then, eat a healthy lunch with vegetables, fruit, and a bunch more protein. Usually for me it's a chicken sandwich of some variety. When you're weight training and trying to gain muscle mass, you don't want your body to go hungry, because like Rugby said, your body will burn muscle instead of fat, the lazy bastard :-b. You should aim to eat a protein snack every 3-4 hours. I eat beef jerky or a small protein bar halfway between lunch and dinner.

And then a sensible dinner. ;-D Since I started this kind of diet, I'm never hungry and I've got my weight right where I want it. I lift a lot as well, so I'm always saturating my body with protein; but the protein also aids in weight loss.

For exercise, get yourself in the gym and do 5-10 minutes of cardio. This is imperative to get your body heated up and ready to build some muscle. Then do your work-out, I typically try not to lift for more than an hour. As others have said, choose several areas per workout and do lifts that work those body parts. The important part is- KEEP YOUR BODY ON ITS TOES! I mix up the lifts constantly. For instance, one week I'll do all bar weights in my lifts. The next week, all dumbbells. Your body says to itself- "damn, I've gotta be prepared in case he ever does this to me again". Therefore, if you do a bunch of different types of lifts you'll maximize your muscle gain.

And then do another 5-10 minutes of cardio on your way out of the gym. You burn more fat when you do cardio after the lifting, because your body has burned all the (I forget the exact substance) Lactic acid? A trainer told me that.

Sorry to be long winded. Hope some of this is useful. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:00 pm

You could bike pedicab like I did in college. You could do it one night a week. I used to bike 8 hours a day for 3 days a week. I was in great shape. ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby brandnew » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:00 pm

Working out is all about nutrition. Nutrition is 2x as important as the actual exercises you do.

Have a healthy diet, composing of complex carbs (oatmeal, wheat bread, brown rice, etc.), lean meat, healthy fats (olive oil, veg. oil, natural peanut butter, etc.), and fibrous veggies.

Have some smaller portions, blah blah; green tea is a very good source of fatburning, because of the antioxidants and speeding up your metabolism. I've just had it cold and sipped on it throughout the day in the past.

Stay away from protein bars. They usually have a lot of sugar and aren't great sources of food. Just stick to eating a bunch of good food. Whey shakes are good to have first thing in the morning or with breakfast, as your body needs the protein immediately, and whenever you need an immediate source of protein.

With exercising, a 3 day split is best. I like doing Chest/Biceps, Triceps/Back, Legs/Shoulders on separate days. I split it up like that because when you do chest, your triceps are getting a lot of work, so you're not going to be able to do as much weight when you do triceps.

With reps/weight, there's a lot of misconceptions. There's no way to build "lean muscle." Cutting up is just bodyfat. You can't have bulky muscle and lean muscle. Do 1-6 reps for strength, 8-12 reps for size, and 14+ for endurance. Don't do more than 10-12 sets per muscle.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:58 pm

One of the best things is a high protein breakfast. NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST. Breakfast is just that...breaking a fast...you haven't eaten in 8-10 hours. When you don't eat for a significant period of time 8hrs is that, your body senses the lack of new calories and stores everything. Instead of burning calories, your body does everything it can to store them. It doesn't know when you are going to eat again...it's a survival instinct. So eat breakfast and keep the body burning calories. It is best to eat within 30 minutes of waking up too. That is the cutoff for the body storing/burning calories. Cardio is great but I would do some muscle building as well. The weight number isn't significant, cause everyone's body type is different. It what you look and feel like. If building muscles do 3 sets of 6-8 of 80% of your max. Work the large muscle groups then go small. 3 days a week of weights is all you need.

If that fails..eat a ton of bacon and no carbs.................
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk