Value of Top Closers (Auction Strategy ?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Value of Top Closers (Auction Strategy ?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby grammysboy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Assuming your league is standard roto and you don't distinguish between RP and SP on your rosters, I think it is critical to get at least one bona-fide closer in the draft. One that the is listed on the Cafe's closer list as stable and healthy. I don't think $25 is too much to pay for a player as consistent as Joe Nathan or as powerful as K-Rod.

Also be watching the set-up men for closers who are injury risks. Otsuka is a great choice there. If your leagues counts holds, he helps there and will pick up a few Ws and even if Gagne is available the whole season, chances are they'll let Otsuka close a game now and then to save Gagne.

Beyond that, it is always important to be watching the closer situation in MLB. I had Papelbon as a $5 keeper going into last season, but dropped him because he didn't start the season with a job. Talk about wanting to kick yourself in the ass :~(
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ActionHero » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:04 pm

I really appreciate everybody's input on this. Although there wasn't really a consensus approach, I have a lot of things to think about. Thanks again and will provide an update (in case anybody cares) after our draft this weekend.

;-D
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers