Catching CHEATERS! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

Catching CHEATERS!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Catching CHEATERS!

Postby Madison » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:22 am

Seems some people cannot read and follow simple rules. We've got one guy in particular who if his plan works, will make over $10,000 of YOUR dollars this year by pocketing your entry fees.

His posts are generally something like:

Each owner pays $200 entry fee, 12 team league, yet the payout is only $2,000. There's $2,400 in fees supposed to be paid, so he pockets the difference ($400 - minus the stat service of $100 or less) and claims it's an "administrative" fee. He's got all kinds of leagues he's tried to advertise, from $30 entry fees upwards of $350 and in each and every single one, he's pocketing entry fees and making profit off of YOUR entry fees. That is not fair to you, and it's clearly against the rules here at the Cafe.

If you spot a CHEATER, please blue card the post and we will kick that person out the door and remove their posts, as they are not welcome here.

You're not only doing us a favor, you're also saving your fellow Cafe members from getting ripped off and we all appreciate that.

Thanks! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theOCauction » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:02 pm

How is that cheating? I am not in favor of commishes profiting off entry fees, but it's not cheating. If he says 100% PAYOUTS minus site costs, then he is stealing.
theOCauction
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Madison » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:32 pm

theOCauction wrote:How is that cheating? I am not in favor of commishes profiting off entry fees, but it's not cheating. If he says 100% PAYOUTS minus site costs, then he is stealing.

He's cheating the rules of our site. Plus the word "cheater" gets attention so people will see this thread and know the rules. With the amount of posts one of the guys had, he'd been doing this for awhile without anyone reporting it to us, so I needed an attention getter. Cheater is quite nice compared to what I could have said. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jimhorn888 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:55 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. I have yet to see anyone, including myself, be able to fill a league either paid OR free using this site.
jimhorn888
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deghumacao » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:04 pm

jimhorn is right..I have spent nearly a month trying to fill a Yahoo league for $50....no luck yet...I don't see how people fill leagues asking for $200...I thought I found the answer to my league's problem but I'm still 1 owner short of the min of 8 and can really use 3 more total....if anyone can help me feel free to contact me Dennis e-mail mailto:losgrises@optonline.net by the way we play Yahoo which is free...no admin charges...top 3 teams always take the pot
deghumacao
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:06 pm

deghumacao wrote:jimhorn is right..I have spent nearly a month trying to fill a Yahoo league for $50....no luck yet...I don't see how people fill leagues asking for $200...I thought I found the answer to my league's problem but I'm still 1 owner short of the min of 8 and can really use 3 more total....if anyone can help me feel free to contact me Dennis e-mail mailto:losgrises@optonline.net by the way we play Yahoo which is free...no admin charges...top 3 teams always take the pot

Well thank god for Frank and me as we make solutions for private leagues but it takes us a logn time. And also thank god for sites like the upgraded yahoo and espn that will allow you to host leagues for free.

I think everyone should know going in what it costs to run a league on pay sites and told anything else i guess would be considered misinforming and untrustworthy.

But I'm confused at the above, I read that if you fork out say 100 to run a league for a year and you tell them there's 100 to run the league how is that bending the code of conduct by league managers?

Best advice: stick with free leagues or only do pay leagues with people you have or can get to know on a personal level.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1948)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:04 pm

I tend to agree w/ the few who think this is not really cheating, not that I would want to join a league where signifcant $$$ gets pocketed by the commish unless it's a seriously good one that's been around for a while.

FWIW, I started playing some low fee, salary dynasty leagues last year (on top of a free dynasty-like, points, keeper I co-run for over 3 years now), and those leagues are a real pain to run on proboards forums, which basically means tons of manual labor. It basically has to be a labor of love for the few co-commishes to run those leagues, if no $$$ is made at all, and yes, I even ended up co-running a couple of them now. And even before I joined their league offices, I thought it was a pain to just play in those leagues due to all the manual work involved. And I was seriously considering developing some web app/site specifically to address that issue too -- something that would provide all the automated stuff (w/ minimal manual work from the league office), eg. automated auctions, roster/salary checks, whatever other enforcement of rules, etc, dynasty/keeper league stuff that Yahoo, ESPN and CBS do not already provide.

Anyway, if the commish has to do a lot of work to run the league *AND* the league is a seriously good one, I don't see any real problem w/ the commish getting paid for it.

Of course, in that case, I'd probably also prefer that the commish isn't also a player in the league. And actually, I'd prefer that for any league that involves significant $$$ so there's no conflict of interest get in the way.
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Scott Boras Client » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:35 pm

I have yet to see anyone, including myself, be able to fill a league either paid OR free using this site.

I have spent nearly a month trying to fill a Yahoo league for $50....no luck yet...

I've started and filled two complicated dynasty leagues (a 15-teamer and an 18-teamer) in the last two years thanks in large part to this site. You just have to be early and persistent, I think (without turning annoying, if possible.)
Scott Boras Client
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Garry26 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Is he the commish of those leagues? Is he holding drafts? Auction drafts? Or is there a software keeping track of everything.

Depending on the situation, it can be a lot of work. Its not easy finding a good commish that keeps an eye things and prevents major screw ups. I commished a league for 2yrs, did almost everything by hand, got no appreciation, and it was for free. It was not easy. Ive also had my share of unpleasantness due to incompetent commishes.

A few dollars for a good experience is nothing imho. He's better off getting an extra job and will have less stress and more money.

Although he shouldnt have a team in the league if hes getting $ on the side. That way he cant win the prize on top of his cut. That would be foul.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 65)

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:33 am

MadDog36 wrote:I think everyone should know going in what it costs to run a league on pay sites and told anything else i guess would be considered misinforming and untrustworthy.

But I'm confused at the above, I read that if you fork out say 100 to run a league for a year and you tell them there's 100 to run the league how is that bending the code of conduct by league managers?

Sultans of Squat wrote:Anyway, if the commish has to do a lot of work to run the league *AND* the league is a seriously good one, I don't see any real problem w/ the commish getting paid for it.

Here's the thing guys, the rules of our board clearly state that anyone running a league is not allowed to pocket money from the entry fees. The ONLY way they get a nickel is if they win it by playing the league. Any other means of income for them is strictly forbidden on our boards. No commish fees, no administrative fees, no kickbacks from websites, etc., etc., etc. Just so happens we had one guy take it to an extreme, so this was needed in order to make the rules perfectly clear to everyone.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Classifieds