Just Had Draft; What do you think - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just Had Draft; What do you think

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just Had Draft; What do you think

Postby spectra » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:50 pm

I had 8th pick in the draft

12-team H2H redraft 5x5 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG; W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP)

I'll make it easy

Roster:

C: A.J. Pierzynski
1B: David Ortiz
2B: Howie Kendrick
3B: Bill Hall
SS: Derek Jeter
OF: Jermaine Dye
OF: Alex Rios
OF: Magglio Ordóñez
Util: Nick Markakis

SP: Scott Kazmir
SP: Freddy García
RP: Joe Nathan
RP: B.J. Ryan
P: Jonathan Papelbon
P: Randy Johnson
P: Brad Penny
BN: Akinori Otsuka
BN: Kevin Millwood
BN: Cliff Lee
BN: Tom Glavine
BN: Joel Piñeiro

What do you think?
spectra
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby redsoxfan1211 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:02 pm

The offense is okay, except to be totally honest, I'm not sold on Rios. After his injury around the allstar break last year, he was horrible. I had him for the first half and he was amazing, but i dumped him 1/2 way through the 2nd half. He wont be as bad as his 2nd half, but he probably wont be an allstar player again. my other problem is that you dont have any bench whatsoever (literally) for the offense. You better hope that A. the players all live up to expectations and B. no injuries occur. You do have plenty of depth at pitcher. The Pineiro pick puzzles me a little though. Sure, he could end up being closer and it's a great move, but from what i've seen of him this spring, there is a good chance the closers job will go to timlin or donnely, not Pineiro. Keep an eye for if they make any announcments concerning the closers role in Boston. If it turns out to not be Pineiro, I say drop him and find a solid bench player. You might even want to consider it now.
redsoxfan1211
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby spectra » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:06 pm

i got piniero in the last round

i didnt think donnelly will be the closer because of his age and because he only had like 3 years on the majors, and Timlin is old

the 3 canditates i felt were
papelbon
piniero
hansack

i'm looking to pick up adrian gonzalez
spectra
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby schmidty » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:19 pm

I like the new Yahoo screen (with the tiles). Power, AVG, and run production is great all over the offense. Even if Hall, Dye, and Rios don't live up to expectations, there's plenty of might. You're a bit weak for SBs: I don't know if you can count on Jeter and Rios to carry you there. I'm not a fan of large hitting benches either, but you could do with 1 or 2 more guys just for some coverage.

RPs are outstanding ... no worries there. SPs are suspect. Papelbon's a question mark (I think he'll be ok, but not great), I think Kazmir has a strong campaign, Johnson's health is troublesome, Garcia's in a rough hitters park. Penny and Glavine fell apart last year in the 2nd half, and I'm not sure how much confidence I have in them. Milwood, Lee, Pineiro ... quantity but not quality. Some of these guys will be good, but some will crash and be bad.

That said, I think you're in good shape to compete. 3-4 of these SPs will pan out. It seems to me easier to patch up a pitching staff from newly emerging guys than a hitting staff. Get a bench hitter and keep an eye on the FA list.

Mine is at: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=256891
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby redsoxfan1211 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:07 pm

It's just my suggestion, but I would dump/trade Pineiro for a position player still. Maybe and outfielder or someone who plays multiple positions. You already have more than enough relief pitching. Even if he does turn out to be the closer, I still think you have enough relief pitching to make out fine.
redsoxfan1211
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cordscords » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:09 pm

You probably took Nathan and Ryan way too high, and that hurt the rest of your team. While your OF has plenty of upside, Dye had a career year, Rios had 1 good half, and Maggs is just a little above average. That's an area I would try to upgrade.

Your SP is also pretty weak outside of Kazmir. Garcia doesnt seem really special, Papelbon has to convert, RJ is almost 100 years old, etc.

I'd try to ship out both of your closers for downgrades at the position, and upgrade at the OF spot. Your infield is also a strength, plenty of high trade value guys there.

If you keep your team the way it is, I don't really see a strong team. The OF and SP really turns me off, and it needs to be improved.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team