A Yahoo "Winners" League Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

A Yahoo "Winners" League Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Yahoo "Winners" League Draft

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:48 pm

12-team H2H redraft 5x5 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG; W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP)

I drafted this team for S&G and seeing how Cafe drafts would deviate from that of a Yahoo Winners League. Keep in mind this was my first live draft for '07 and I haven't looked at the Yahoo rankings at all. I only joined this league today and didn't have the time to carve out my own personal rankings to this draft. I used Yahoo rankings as my only guide.

Here's what I did with a #3 pick:

C - Paul Lo Duca (21.03)
1B - Paul Konerko (5.03)
2B - Howie Kendrick (11.03)
3B - Alex Rodriguez (1.03)
SS - Troy Tulowitzki (20.10)
OF - Jason Bay (2.10)
OF - Matt Holliday (3.03)
OF - Delmon Young (9.03)
UTIL - Prince Fielder (6.10)
BN - Alex Rios (10.10)
BN - Frank Thomas (13.03)
BN - Alex Gordon (16.10)

SP - Brandon Webb (4.10)
SP - Scott Kazmir (7.03)
RP - Jason Isringhausen (14.10)
RP - Taylor Tankersley (18.10)
P - Cole Hamels (8.10)
P - Barry Zito (12.10)
P - A.J. Burnett (15.03)
BN - Dave Bush (17.03)
BN - Joel Zumaya (19.03)

Obviously, I've got some laugher bargains relative to the Cafe drafts I've been in thus far.

As you can see, I'm strapped when it comes to saves (at least on paper as of today), SB's, and I left the draft not caring about my C/SS situation. I probably jumped the gun on the Alex Gordon pick, but drafted with reckless abandon at that point. I like playing the value game by stashing the best players off the board and then shipping them off for whatever I need. I have a disdain for drafting SB's and saves early and would rather get them through trade, knowing I've gotten enough power and SP to afford trading for whatever I'm lacking.

Any comments, opinions, concerns? I'll answer your questions if you leave me a link. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Seattle_Will » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:10 pm

My only critiques are that I've seen Tulo's projections being anywhere from .260/10/70 to .290/20/90, with the lower much more likely. I'm also not so sure on Isringhausen anymore.

Basically everything you previously said.

Overall I would say a excellent draft. I myself favor the value grab philosophy.

Any Opinions here would be greatly appreciated;
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=256524
Seattle_Will
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:28 pm

Yeah, there was a bit of a SS run in the later rounds. I meant to snag Orlando Cabrera or Peralta there, but got beaten to it. In the 4th, the fella before me picked Furcal, who I was aiming for, but was content on getting Webb and Konerko, at the turn.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:30 pm

Looks like a pretty solid team. Your MI could use some work, and your closer situation doesnt look too hot. Then again neither does a lot of folks. You've got a nice blend of power/speed, and did an excellent job adding depth.

Looks like a contender ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby ThatDude » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm not a fan of Holliday, and certainly not that early. I just don't like drafting players I need to platoon for their home/away games in the 3rd round.

But other than that, and the issues you mentioned (saves and SS), that team looks pretty solid.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:46 pm

I would swap Prince and Kazmir for a speedster and saves. What can you get for them?
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby Jakra » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:53 pm

I would see who has Rollins, see if you can move Holliday for him. Or something like Furcal + closer for Holliday. That way you could move Rios into the starting lineup, and get an upgrade at SS.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=257074
Jakra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GDormz » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:20 pm

Nice outfield!.. SS and 2B are a little risky. And you have NO1 to steal bases besides Young, who isnt going to be a huge stealer. Also, you could use a solid closer.. The two you have now are real risky.

Overall, not a bad draft
Thanks, Will Help in Return

BoSox Baby!
GDormz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:17 pm

ThatDude wrote:I'm not a fan of Holliday, and certainly not that early. I just don't like drafting players I need to platoon for their home/away games in the 3rd round.

For what Holliday provides, I think he's a steal in the early 3rd round. A good deal of drafts I've been in, he's been taken in the early to mid 2nd round, drafted before the likes of Bay and Sizemore even in a few instances. I definitely believe he's on the level of Jason Bay.

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:I would swap Prince and Kazmir for a speedster and saves. What can you get for them?

I haven't shopped either around, but I'm definitely aiming for nothing less than a Nathan, Ryan, or K-Rod for either.

Jakra wrote:I would see who has Rollins, see if you can move Holliday for him. Or something like Furcal + closer for Holliday. That way you could move Rios into the starting lineup, and get an upgrade at SS.

I actually passed up on Rollins for Holliday. Rollins is too streaky for my liking and my philosophy in the 2nd/3rd round is to take the player most likely to catapult himself to 1st round status. Rollins would've been more useful for my team needs with regards to category and position.

Oddly enough, the guy who drafted Rollins in the 3rd had taken Jeter in the 2nd, and Johan with his first pick. I'm sure I can work something out there, but am only willing to give up Konerko.

GDormz wrote:Nice outfield!.. SS and 2B are a little risky. And you have NO1 to steal bases besides Young, who isnt going to be a huge stealer. Also, you could use a solid closer.. The two you have now are real risky.

Overall, not a bad draft

I don't like paying premium for SB's and saves in H2H. I dislike having to worry about MI and filling them in right away as well. I try not to get into that kind of mindset during drafts, but when there's plenty of value on the board, I'd rather hoard players who shouldn't be on the board and then trade them as they gain more value for what I actually need. Most times, I find that it wins leagues when you play your cards correctly.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:31 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:I would swap Prince and Kazmir for a speedster and saves. What can you get for them?

I haven't shopped either around, but I'm definitely aiming for nothing less than a Nathan, Ryan, or K-Rod for either.

I think you'll have trouble with that. Nathan and Krod owners usally expect more then equal value when it comes to trading them.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team