IP Limits - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

IP Limits

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

IP Limits

Postby hayseed » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:41 pm

on IP limits, what are some of the pros and cons of having weekly limits as well as having seasonal limits? also, which do you prefer and why
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:53 pm

H2H leagues, I prefer weekly minimums, like 30 innings pitched provided that they are weekly transaction leagues. In daily transaction leagues, there needs to be a maximum per week. Helps keep people from churning starters every day and winning with "quantity over quality" and that in my opinion is the number 1 problem with H2H leagues.

In roto, a minimum of around 1000 and a maximum around 1500 works pretty well. No "all closer" strategy, and yet no "quantity over quality" strategy.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:08 am

1500 is a little but high IMO...in my 18 team, 25 man roster roto league, we have 1300 as the max. And we also include holds, so that's another 2 or 3 RP's you have in there every night on top of your closers. We usually end up right near the max, and I was just below it last season. 1300 would be what I recommend.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:27 am

In my roto league we have a 1500 IP maximum. Here's how we figured it out.

Each offensive position (we use C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL) has a 162 game limit. For a MLB team, you have nine batting positions over 162 games.

So we took 162 games and multiplied by 9 (innings/game) = 1458. We round up to 1500, figuring that is pretty close to the IP you'd expect from a MLB team (works out to about 9.3 innings on average over 162 game season).

(As it turns out, we over estimated. Very few teams get that high, because sometimes they only pitch 8 innings. Last year each MLB team pitched between 1413-1464 IP. :-? Maybe next year I'll propose we drop down to 1450. Thanks for asking this question!)
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:55 am

I've been using a 1450 limit for some time (based on the same calculations as ramble), and it's worked very well. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers