First team of 2007 ... Helpful comments/advice welcome! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First team of 2007 ... Helpful comments/advice welcome!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First team of 2007 ... Helpful comments/advice welcome!

Postby schmidty » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm

Hello all! I'm back for another go with Fantasy baseball (not that experienced, with me just starting last year). Just got finished with an early draft this afternoon, and I'd welcome any comments/suggestions. As usual, the draft goes by fast, and I wasn't always smart keeping to my plan/draft list. And a run on quality SP came at exactly the wrong for me. But hopefully I got enough guys to work with.

Yahoo 12-team H2H. 6x6 scoring (the extra cats being BBs for hitters, and holds for pitchers).

C: Barrett
1B: Fielder
2B: Lugo (also 3B/SS elig)
3B: M Cabrera
SS: M Young
OF: L Berkman (also 1B elig)
OF: M Holliday
OF: Damon
Util: LaRoche
BN: B Giles (OF)
BN: L Castillo (2B)

SP: CC Sabathia
SP: Schilling
RP: BJ Ryan
RP: C Cordero
P: Saito (RP)
P: S Shields (RP)
P: J Patterson (SP)
BN: K Escobar (SP)
BN: I Snell (SP)
BN: K Millwood (SP)

Hitting FAs of note (as of now) include: D Roberts, Hawpe, Bradley, Matthews Jr, Teahan, Huff, AGonzalez. The cubbard is pretty bare for SPs: notables are Duke, Mulder, Francis, N Robertson, Boof Bonser. We're cleaned out of closers, but unsurprisingly there are many MRs left, including Duchsh and Timlin. Not sure if its worth it to have 2 holds guys, sacrificing a bench spot.

Thanks in advance for comments. Leave a link and I'll HIR :-)
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:08 pm

thanks for the help...

what i can see is that i think Gile's years of good power numbers and RBI are over, so on that team i don't really think he needs a spot there, i would DEF. look at Teahen, Hawpe or AGonzo...other then that the bats look really good, alot of good back ups with players playing multiple positions...then the arms...i really like CC for a big year this year, schilling should have a very nice season, and i think its Patterson's year to break out (keep in mind that no matter how great his K stats era and whip are i don't think he will total that many wins) but after that i think you might be a little shaky, compared to your top 3 Snell is a nice #4 compliment, but Escobar and Milly i think are WAY too inconsistant to be depended on this year...the relievers on the other hand look GREAT, i think that is the ONLY spot you may have screwed up, cuz with Holds as a cat you can get away with drafting a good Mid-Reliever later, rather then blowing a higher pick on a closer, as you can dominate Holds, and stilll win the same # of cats as a closer, i think you will dominate Saves with Ryan, Cordero AND Saito, but i think you should have waited off on either cordero or saito (one of those picks) and went for another strong SP...overall i would upgrade your benches a bit, and you should be fine...overall grade 7.8/10, only thing thats hurting you is the benches and a weak back end of the rotation...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:18 pm

Solid team. The only thing that might be a problem, is what the other guy mentioned, the bench and back end of the rotation. You have solid guys at all of your offensive positions.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=255742
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dmville » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Agree w Millwood and Giles needing to be upgraded. Bradley just inherited the starting position for the first 2 months or so so he may be worth a look.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:25 pm

Thanks bazzy ... I agree with what you're saying. Giles was a very late pick - I just wanted another OFer, and with BBs a cat and with his promises of upping the AVG I though it was a decent fit. Castillo is there since the 2B position gives me a lot of roster flexibility, and provides some speed off the bench if needed.

Even though I don't think I overdrafted for any of my RPs (Shields was a super-late pick), the SP run caught me. I had a late draft spot, so I had to watch helplessly over the next 20 picks as everyone was taking all the good SPs. I'll have to keep an eye open for a good developing SP as the season progresses.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Whomper » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:04 pm

I like Paterson and Lugo a lot this year..I agree about Paterson most likely having low Ws but should be solid in other Cats..Lugos flexability and the lineup around him should pay off for you ..A lot of your other guys are no brainers Berkman etc..Team looks very solid. Maybe a few small tweaks but a great core to compete with..
Whomper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby redsoxfan1211 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:15 pm

i like lugo at 2B, he'll score plenty of runs in front of Manny and Ortiz. Your starting hitters all look solid. BJ Ryan is a really nice pickup for the relief pitchers, and the rest of your closers are nice too. your starters won't blow the league away, but it's not disastous. Just make sure you keep an eye on any free-agent starters who look nice in april and may. I don't see it as a first place team yet, but if you make the right moves during the year it should be okay.
redsoxfan1211
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:24 pm

Not that Millwood needs to be upgraded, I just don't think you need another starter. Your bench does need to be a little deeper as mentioned, Teahen would be nice along with Robets for steals.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=256752
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Your offense looks really sharp, but depth is definitley needed as Giles and Castillo dont hold a lot of fantasy value anymore.

The SP needs a lot of work IMO. You have plenty of valuable closers, I'd try to downgrade at the positon for upgrades at SP.

As of right now your team looks solid, but if you want to win it all then you really need to make a RP for SP change.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team