Chien-Ming Wang - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chien-Ming Wang

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chien-Ming Wang

Postby srb7215 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:09 pm

I did a search for him and didn't find many topics about him. What are your thoughts on him this year? Is the 19 wins a product of the Yankees? Do you think his K's will improve? I'm in the 10th round of a draft, would he be a good #4 or should I go after guys like Santana or Bush? Thanks for the info.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
srb7215
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby number9 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:15 pm

Projections don't like him, but that's because he so far removed from the norm (kinda like Ichiro) so they don't have any similar players that he can be compared to. That really hard sinker ball is effective and I don't see it changing, and the Yanks have a crazy offense so he should get lots of wins (but maybe not 19 again) and his ERA won't be great because he's in the AL East.
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:10 am

I think that he is both effective and that the 19 W were a product of the Yankees. Of course, he IS still a Yankee. Number 9 hit it on the head, he is challenging to project b/c he is so far outside the norm for pitchers. I would like him more IRL though, b/c he doesn't strike a lot of guys out. Somewhere, there was a thing about him that suggested that he COULD actually strike guys out, if he wanted to, b/c some data showed that when he gets guys on 2nd or 3rd, he cranks up the heat and strikes people out but he chooses not to. That is utterly beyond a lot of SP but he seems very effective. I think I guessed that he would not have a good year last year and was utterly wrong but he seems to have proven that his schtick is repeatable so I would draft him in the right spot, as long as I had some other high K SP...

Also, a guy w/ a bunch of W is often a really nice thing to deal, as that seems to be a cat that people look for and that he provides a pretty reliable source of should you NOT need W and want to flip him for equal or greater value...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TheRock » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:29 am

I think his ceiling is what you saw last year. I'd go other Santana or Bush, much more upside.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby RyanK » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:31 am

yeah chieing... go wang!

i made a wall paper of him.. never finished it though:

if any one wants it knock yourself out...

sorry im drunk.... !+)
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Surfs up » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:28 pm

he gets himself in troble because he isn't a strikeout pitcher. But he gets himself out of it because he gets the ground ball out or double play. Yes playing for the Yankees helps him get wins. Having Rivera to close out games helps too. I can see him with similar numbers as last year. Maybe a win or two less. But fairly close.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:33 pm

Wang can't strike out Adam Dunn
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Wang doesn't get a lot of strikeouts because he doesn't throw very hard. But what a lot of people don't realize is he's a very smart pitcher who mixes up his pitches well and there's a lot of movement on his pitches so when a hitter makes contact it's often crappy contact that results in a ground out or fly out. It's hard not to see him falling off last year's numbers somewhat but I don't think it will be as much as people are saying, and last year definitely wasn't a fluke. That said, with so few K's he's not a very valuable fantasy pitcher anyway, so figure about the same numbers as last year but slightly higher ratios (3.80/1.35 ballpark) and 15 wins instead of 19 and draft accordingly.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:38 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:Wang doesn't get a lot of strikeouts because he doesn't throw very hard. But what a lot of people don't realize is he's a very smart pitcher who mixes up his pitches well and there's a lot of movement on his pitches so when a hitter makes contact it's often crappy contact that results in a ground out or fly out. It's hard not to see him falling off last year's numbers somewhat but I don't think it will be as much as people are saying, and last year definitely wasn't a fluke. That said, with so few K's he's not a very valuable fantasy pitcher anyway, so figure about the same numbers as last year but slightly higher ratios (3.80/1.35 ballpark) and 15 wins instead of 19 and draft accordingly.
;-D ;-D
Good real life pitcher but fantasy-wise he isn't very valuable.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby greenandgold » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Trojan Pony wrote:Wang doesn't get a lot of strikeouts because he doesn't throw very hard. But what a lot of people don't realize is he's a very smart pitcher who mixes up his pitches well and there's a lot of movement on his pitches so when a hitter makes contact it's often crappy contact that results in a ground out or fly out. It's hard not to see him falling off last year's numbers somewhat but I don't think it will be as much as people are saying, and last year definitely wasn't a fluke. That said, with so few K's he's not a very valuable fantasy pitcher anyway, so figure about the same numbers as last year but slightly higher ratios (3.80/1.35 ballpark) and 15 wins instead of 19 and draft accordingly.
;-D ;-D
Good real life pitcher but fantasy-wise he isn't very valuable.

That is how I feel too, in H2H I can see some value but in Roto he is going to kill your K count.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers