Sexson to D-Backs in 9 player deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sexson to D-Backs in 9 player deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:55 pm

I went a did a quick search of ESPN articles:

Peter Gammons, Feb 1, 2003:
Now, Beane went out and acquired Erubiel Durazo, who could be a new Giambi in the middle of the lineup, to fit in with Miguel Tejada, Eric Chavez, Scott Hatteberg, Jermaine Dye, et al.

Phil Rogers, Jan 13, 2003:
Newcomer Erubiel Durazo is likely to be the regular DH but could join Chavez to give new manager Ken Macha thunder on the corners.

So the potential (and the hype) was there, he just hasn't exactly panned out yet in those regards. :-o But the optimistic one would say he does fit Beane's OBP% profile. ;-D
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:05 pm

bell wrote:Anyway, 3HR 9RBI game was in 2002 against the Phillies I believe. I'm hardly saying that is what qualifies being an offensive machine. I believe he was fresh off of the DL and I remember he still had a shot at four HR's, but doubled in his last at bat.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. ;-D I guess I should have checked the '02 numbers as well. I only double checked last year because I didn't remember it happening. Thanks again. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:18 pm

No prob. You'll have to excuse my nostalgic tendencies. ;)
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:32 pm

Madison wrote: Bill Mueller did that last year agaist the Rangers on July 29th.

Finally, something happens on my birthday... :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:11 pm

bell wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:What i don't understand is why some scouts love Overbay?

Isn't that kind of the same reaction Blalock got in 2002? Some players need to be given the chance to adjust and gain experience. Personally, I think they cut the cord prematurely on Overbay. But if he's going to blossom, Milwaukee's a good place to do it.

Overbay's 27, Blalock is 23???? Overbay has been older then his competition in minors, Blalock has been younger.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:20 pm

wrveres wrote:

must have something to do with his .342 minor league career BA.

True, but you have to factor in age and parks. Lyle was drafted out of college at age 22. He went to rookie ball in 99 at 22, when guys in rookie ball are 18-19. In 00 at age 23, he went to A ball, still overage. In 01 at 24 he was in AA, and in 02 at 25, in the heavy hitting PCL, especially Tuscon, where he played. So those numbers are somewhat misleading. A older player, hitting in a sweet park, has to be taken into account. He will be 27, and has yet to become a starting 1b. He's got value, he likely could be a very, very, poor mans Casey, i was just wondering why some still love him. Btw, some scouts don't love him, as some are divided on him.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:01 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
wrveres wrote:

must have something to do with his .342 minor league career BA.

True, but you have to factor in age and parks. Lyle was drafted out of college at age 22. He went to rookie ball in 99 at 22, when guys in rookie ball are 18-19. In 00 at age 23, he went to A ball, still overage. In 01 at 24 he was in AA, and in 02 at 25, in the heavy hitting PCL, especially Tuscon, where he played. So those numbers are somewhat misleading. A older player, hitting in a sweet park, has to be taken into account. He will be 27, and has yet to become a starting 1b. He's got value, he likely could be a very, very, poor mans Casey, i was just wondering why some still love him. Btw, some scouts don't love him, as some are divided on him.

Thank ya sir .... ;-D
A poor mans Casey would be an excellent assement. Knowing a little of his history is why I said he should bat around .300. Usually there is, on average, a .020 point drop in BA from the minors to the Pros. No way Overbay hits .320 ... He has no power but good plate awareness. He would be a solid number two or three at Miller Park ..IMO
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby bell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:14 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
bell wrote:

Isn't that kind of the same reaction Blalock got in 2002? Some players need to be given the chance to adjust and gain experience. Personally, I think they cut the cord prematurely on Overbay. But if he's going to blossom, Milwaukee's a good place to do it.

Overbay's 27, Blalock is 23???? Overbay has been older then his competition in minors, Blalock has been younger.

Hootie, my point is merely that not everybody lands feet first into the majors a la Albert Pujols, and that many players need a transitioning period to adjust to major league pitchers, regardless of college experience.

If we were discussing who developed into the better player quicker, then yes, I'd agree that Blalock would be the obvious choice over Overbay.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:44 pm

bell wrote:Hootie, my point is merely that not everybody lands feet first into the majors a la Albert Pujols, and that many players need a transitioning period to adjust to major league pitchers, regardless of college experience.

If we were discussing who developed into the better player quicker, then yes, I'd agree that Blalock would be the obvious choice over Overbay.

BELL I agree. What i was saying was Blalock struggling was no surprise, he was 22 in 02. I was questioning why some scouts would love Overbay, when he didn't make bigs till 26, plays a power position, with little pop, and accumulated his minor league numbers by playing against younger talent.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:32 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not a position for the Mark Graces of the world anymore. :,-( I think Overbay might have been given a shot in the bigs a season earlier if the D-backs didn't have such a log-jam at first.
Last edited by bell on Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers