Sexson to D-Backs in 9 player deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sexson to D-Backs in 9 player deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:15 am

ramble2 wrote:
wrveres wrote:interesting little tidbit I came across tonight.
"One thing the Brewers have is flexibility," Melvin said. "I don't have one penny committed to next year's payroll. We're getting a clean plate."

Well heck, contraction should be no problem then! :-D

That was my very first thought too ..... :-D sad isn't it
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:20 am

wrveres wrote:Was there a Greg in the Bible, anybody know?

Just make sure Bochy skips his part of the rotation when playing the D-backs considering they tend to tee-off of him.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:33 pm

wrveres wrote:interesting little tidbit I came across tonight.
"One thing the Brewers have is flexibility," Melvin said. "I don't have one penny committed to next year's payroll. We're getting a clean plate."

Looks like they will have no problem staying under that whopping 30 million dollar budget next year. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bell » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:34 pm

Jayson Stark's Rumblings & Grumblings:

Now that the Brewers have dealt Richie Sexson, their next project is to trade Geoff Jenkins, who will make $8.25 million next year. Despite speculation that no one would take on Jenkins' money after all his injury problems, an official of one club that has spoken with the Brewers says they already have two teams actively interested.

One of them is almost certainly the Mets, who also are believed to have interest in Magglio Ordonez, despite his $14-million salary next year.

How well did the Brewers do in that Sexson deal? Baseball people we've surveyed have given them mixed reviews.

There was general agreement that Junior Spivey will bounce back. And scouts who have seen Jorge De La Rosa (once described by former Red Sox GM Dan Duquette as "the Mexican John Rocker") think he can be either a power left-handed bullpen force or a middle-of-the-rotation starter.

But there was major disagreement about Lyle Overbay, who some scouts love but others see as a guy with too little power to be "that classic corner bat you look for." There was division on whether Chad Moeller is "just a No. 2 catcher" or an underrated receiver with "great athleticism" who didn't mesh with Arizona manager Bob Brenly. And while Chris Capuano has a breaking ball that chews up left-handed hitters, one scout says Arizona had "a half-dozen pitching prospects who were ahead of him."

At least, says one AL executive, the Brewers got players -- in Craig Counsell and Spivey -- they can still turn around and move in July. And it isn't easy to trade for six players who are all legitimate big-league talents. But ultimately, says one NL scout, "I just don't like their lineup, without that power bat in the middle."

Then there's Arizona's side of this. The Diamondbacks have never had a right-handed hitter hit 40 home runs in a season. But you can bet the 2001 World Series trophy that Sexson will end that streak.

The only right-handed hitters with more homers than him over the last three years are A-Rod and Sammy Sosa. Sexson has put up huge numbers in Bank One Ballpark (.378, six HR, 16 RBI in 12 career games). And he was one of those rare Brewers who was actually better on the road (.393 on-base, .574 slugging) than at home (.364 on-base, .521 slugging) last year.

And by including Spivey ($2.37 million next year) and Counsell ($3.15 million) in the deal, Arizona still comes away with a $9-million savings between the Curt Schilling and Sexson deals.

But they're now depending on Randy Johnson to come all the way back, at age 40, and on Brandon Webb to take another step up to No. 2 starter, after just 28 career starts.

"They're putting a lot of weight on Brandon Webb in his second year," says one scout. But another scout says of Webb: "I'd bet on him. He's got good stuff and great makeup. This guy is a winner."

I wasn't even aware of Sexson's numbers @ BOB. 8-o ;-D
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:48 am

What i don't understand is why some scouts love Overbay?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:57 am

HOOTIE wrote:What i don't understand is why some scouts love Overbay?

Isn't that kind of the same reaction Blalock got in 2002? Some players need to be given the chance to adjust and gain experience. Personally, I think they cut the cord prematurely on Overbay. But if he's going to blossom, Milwaukee's a good place to do it.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:29 am

HOOTIE wrote:What i don't understand is why some scouts love Overbay?

must have something to do with his .342 minor league career BA. I still think ARZ made a mistake in shipping Durazo to Oakland. They should have sent Overbay. He doesn't have alot of power put he has good plate awareness, and hits for Avg. He would have been perfect under Billy's scheme. I think Overbay will excell in Miller Park. Put him in the two or three spot .. He will be fine ..10-15 dingers a year with close to a .300 BA IMO.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby bell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:21 am

I welcomed the Durazo trade just to save himself from the excruciating experience of him jogging from the dugout to first base. And running the bases? Forget about it. He's one of the most rigid players I have ever observed. And yet he has the gall to hit three HR's and nine RBI's in a single game. Whatever his offensive potential may be, his liabilities make him an AL-only player. As hard as it was to see an offensive machine like that go, I can't really fault the D-backs on that one.

As for what they got back in return, well, that's another story.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:24 am

bell wrote:I welcomed the Durazo trade just to save himself from the excruciating experience of him jogging from the dugout to first base. And running the bases? Forget about it. He's one of the most rigid players I have ever observed. And yet he has the gall to hit three HR's and nine RBI's in a single game. Whatever his offensive potential may be, his liabilities make him an AL-only player. As hard as it was to see an offensive machine like that go, I can't really fault the D-backs on that one.

Durazo hit .259 with 21 homers and 77 rbi last year. Not exactly what I call "an offensive machine". When did he hit 3 hr's and 9 rbi's in a game :-? ? Bill Mueller did that last year agaist the Rangers on July 29th.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bell » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:42 pm

Madison wrote:
bell wrote:I welcomed the Durazo trade just to save himself from the excruciating experience of him jogging from the dugout to first base. And running the bases? Forget about it. He's one of the most rigid players I have ever observed. And yet he has the gall to hit three HR's and nine RBI's in a single game. Whatever his offensive potential may be, his liabilities make him an AL-only player. As hard as it was to see an offensive machine like that go, I can't really fault the D-backs on that one.

Durazo hit .259 with 21 homers and 77 rbi last year. Not exactly what I call "an offensive machine". When did he hit 3 hr's and 9 rbi's in a game :-? ? Bill Mueller did that last year agaist the Rangers on July 29th.

I suppose I should say "potential" offensive machine, but I think D-backs fans became a little more familiar with what he was capable of if it wasn't for constant injuries plagging his seasons (and his off and on problems with the curve ball). Of course now is what really matters. Whether it's Oakland Coliseum, adjusting to AL pitching or if that's who he is now I think will be determined in 2004.

Anyway, 3HR 9RBI game was in 2002 against the Phillies I believe. I'm hardly saying that is what qualifies being an offensive machine. I believe he was fresh off of the DL and I remember he still had a shot at four HR's, but doubled in his last at bat.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers