Sexson to D-Backs in 9 player deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sexson to D-Backs in 9 player deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sexson to D-Backs in 9 player deal

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:24 pm

ESPN.com news services
The Diamondbacks and the Milwaukee Brewers completed a blockbuster trade Monday that sends slugger Richie Sexson to Arizona as part of a nine-player deal.

Milwaukee sent Sexson, reliever Shane Nance and a player to be named to Arizona for infielder Craig Counsell, second baseman Junior Spivey, first baseman Lyle Overbay, catcher Chad Moeller, and left-handers Chris Capuano and Jorge De La Rosa.

The Brewers scheduled an afternoon news conference at Miller Park to announce the deal.

De La Rosa was one of four players the Red Sox traded to the Diamondbacks on Saturday for Curt Schilling.

The Boston deal wasn't final until Schilling's physical exam Monday. Schilling had to pass the physical before De La Rosa could be added to Arizona's roster, and therefore eligible for a trade.

nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:26 pm

It's official now. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:22 pm

I thought a team had to wait a certain amount of days before trading someone that was just recieved in a trade...wait...that might be basketball...anyways, good deal for the d-backs IMO.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby M_Zimm » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:25 pm

The D-backs are making some moves this year. They should be pretty good if Fossom does well. Sexson should be good in Zona.
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:31 pm

M_Zimm wrote:The D-backs are making some moves this year. They should be pretty good if Fossom does well. Sexson should be good in Zona.

Fossum will do good. Simply because the fact that he left Boston. For some reason, whenever we trade someone or let them go, they suddenly do good. I wouldn't be surprised if from now on, he becomes an all-star pitcher, and wins 6-7 cy young awards...(I'm kidding.)
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:01 pm

Here's what Rotoworld has to say about it:

Rotoworld wrote:Richie Sexson - 1B - Arizona Diamondbacks Dec 1

Diamondbacks acquired 1B Richie Sexson, LHP Shane Nance and a player to be named from the Brewers for 2B Junior Spivey, 1B Lyle Overbay, INF Craig Counsell, C Chad Moeller, LHP Jorge De La Rosa and LHP Chris Capuano.
So much for the four- or five-player deals that were being reported. The Brewers are doing better here, but the Diamondbacks aren't heartbroken to lose any of these players. We disagree with Arizona's feeling that Matt Kata is basically just as good of an option at second base as Spivey, and that downgrade could hurt them next year. The upgrade at first base will be huge, but so was losing Schilling. This wasn't a bad move, but the Diamondbacks don't seem to be any better off than they were a week ago. As for Sexson, don't expect his numbers to change very much. Arizona would seem to be a better situation for him, but he had at least as many men on base for him last year as he will in 2004.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:21 pm

Is it just me or does Milwaukee seem like a fantasy waste-land next season?

Aside from Pods, Jenkins, Kolb and perhaps Spivey or Overbay, no one else seems worthy of consideration.

Or am I just forgetting some players? :-?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby grammysboy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:30 pm

That's a pretty good "chunk" of the D-Backs' infield going North. Does this mean Robby Hammock will be the every-day catcher? I don't necessarily agree with Mad's remarks about Kata. He may never be Jeff Kent, but I think he will field the position adequately and provide enough offensive help to be OK. He and Bo Hart are "peas-in-a-pod" both are quick fielders, but prone to over-swinging at the plate. If either of them listens and learns from hitting instructors, they have the potential to be pretty good.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jivedude » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:39 pm

nsulham wrote:Is it just me or does Milwaukee seem like a fantasy waste-land next season?

Aside from Pods, Jenkins, Kolb and perhaps Spivey or Overbay, no one else seems worthy of consideration.

I think Detroit is the fantasy wasteland. Who is worth having other than Dmitri Young, whoever is closing and maybe Carlos Pena if your desperate for a 1B?
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:00 pm

Jivedude wrote:
nsulham wrote:Is it just me or does Milwaukee seem like a fantasy waste-land next season?

I think Detroit is the fantasy wasteland. Who is worth having other than Dmitri Young, whoever is closing and maybe Carlos Pena if your desperate for a 1B?

Well Detroit is a obviously a given. I just said Milwaukee would be A wasteland, not THE lone one.

I think you could also lump TB in there (exception of Huff, Crawford, Baldelli and Hall).
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers