Newt didn't hate bill, he idolized him... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Newt didn't hate bill, he idolized him...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:29 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I'm not going to advocate anything Newt did, nor does this mean that I like/respect/would vote for him. But the big difference is that while what Newt did is wrong and immoral, what Bill did was illegal. Having an affair in and of itself isn't against the law. Lying under oath is.

Geez i'm not gonna get into it but lying about boinking another woman is about as serious as ripping the tags of a mattress and then lying about it under oath.

Clinton never should have been answering questions about his sex life under oath in the first place, but since he was, he should have answered them honestly. The president isnt' above the law...even though he really sort of is, there's only two people with the authority to arrest the president. A regular cop could literally watch the president murder someone in cold blood, and would not be able to arrest him for it.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I'm not going to advocate anything Newt did, nor does this mean that I like/respect/would vote for him. But the big difference is that while what Newt did is wrong and immoral, what Bill did was illegal. Having an affair in and of itself isn't against the law. Lying under oath is.

Geez i'm not gonna get into it but lying about boinking another woman is about as serious as ripping the tags of a mattress and then lying about it under oath.

it isn't the fact that he was boning monica that did him in, it was the fact he lied to the american people about it....but then again maybe he was just setting the precident for George.

Bill Lies about Monica...american people ok with George and his WMD
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:32 pm

BGbootha wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

it isn't the fact that he was boning monica that did him in, it was the fact he lied to the american people about it....but then again maybe he was just setting the precident for George.

Bill Lies about Monica...american people ok with George and his WMD

But his approval rating actually went up when he fessed up; the American people, in general, didn't care...
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:36 pm

It doesn't matter if Gingrich was hypocrite or not. The merit of Gingrich's actions have to be judged on their own not in the light of all this other nonsense. We cannot expect the ideals and standards of this country to be upheld by people who are pure of heart. It will never happen. We're human. We will fail you. Every politician, law maker, law enforce, educator, etc., will be a hypocrite many times in their lives.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:38 pm

acsguitar wrote:Geez i'm not gonna get into it but lying about boinking another woman is about as serious as ripping the tags of a mattress and then lying about it under oath.

Even if it's part of a sexual harassment investigation? Love how so many people think so little of our laws that they don't bat an eye when their favorite politician breaks them. "Lying in court is fine if it's only a little white lie." :-t
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:39 pm

Amazinz wrote:It doesn't matter if Gingrich was hypocrite or not. The merit of Gingrich's actions have to be judged on their own not in the light of all this other nonsense. We cannot expect the ideals and standards of this country to be upheld by people who are pure of heart. It will never happen. We're human. We will fail you. Every politician, law maker, law enforce, educator, etc., will be a hypocrite many times in their lives.

Agreed; and this is all just in hindsight really. Concerning this Newt affair, I'd say that for the most part, people don't care.

Like, I walked up to a co-worker right now and said "Guess what, Newt Gingrich had an affair when he was Speaker of the House" I'm guessing my response will be something between "Who the hell is Newt Gingrinch?" and "Who the hell cares?"

Well, no one really.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BGbootha » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:39 pm

Amazinz wrote:It doesn't matter if Gingrich was hypocrite or not. The merit of Gingrich's actions have to be judged on their own not in the light of all this other nonsense. We cannot expect the ideals and standards of this country to be upheld by people who are pure of heart. It will never happen. We're human. We will fail you. Every politician, law maker, law enforce, educator, etc., will be a hypocrite many times in their lives.

Now that is a cup half full mentality, we are all going to screw up so hey let them screw up
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:41 pm

BGbootha wrote:

Now that is a cup half full mentality, we are all going to screw up so hey let them screw up

I think, or at least hope, that we might as well let them screw up when it comes to meaningless crap like affairs and sex scandals.

On the other hand, I'll say I'm very concerned when a political leader screws up and it involves wars and the lives of Americans.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:41 pm

BGbootha wrote:

Gingrich did not screw up simply because he was hypocrite. That is really irrelevant to whether or not he did the right thing and a good job concerning Clinton.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:43 pm

Coppermine wrote:I think, or at least hope, that we might as well let them screw up when it comes to meaningless crap like affairs and sex scandals.

On the other hand, I'll say I'm very concerned when a political leader screws up and it involves wars and the lives of Americans.

Exactly. I don't care who they screw in private, I'm concerned about who they screw in public.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk