100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Patriot Act Underreported...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:24 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I think that the further you look back in American history, the shorter the supply of common sense.

Dunno, but I do believe the country right now has the most lack of common sense in it's history. Idiots and brain dead people are everywhere. :-o

:-b

Yeah, I don't know how you can come to that conclusion Copper. People rely too much on what they see on the evening news and have little to no idea who is in office or who they've voted into office. They're constantly out for themselves with little regard for anything that goes on around them, let alone outside of their neighborhood. People with common sense are polite. How many polite people do you come across nowadays? It's gone.

Well, I don't think I generalized it enough. If we're talking people in general, than yes, I'm afraid common sense is in short supply.

When I think of common sense, i think of advancements we've made in technology, science, health and basic human understanding. We've come a long way in the past fifty years. It's unfortunately that perhaps the majority of people are morons, but as Art said, that's imply because there's more people.

More people go to college now than ever. Many jobs are in the service industry which, I'd argue, require more common sense than blue collar work. Not that there certainly aren't' exceptions, but fifty years ago, a lot more people were still doing manual labor. The percentage of people with degrees was way lower than it is now.

I think our society has the largest percentage of intelligent people than it ever did. It doesn't mean that percentage isn't trumped by morons... the kind that you describe Omaha, the ones who are slaves to their television and content with their ignorance.

But, I'm also around a lot of very intelligent and polite people too. Not that being polite is a sign of intelligence, some of the nicest people I've known are dumb as a doorknob. I think that education is probably my biggest indicator; and while plenty of idiots are going through our college system, the sheer percentage of those going now as opposed to fifty years ago has dramatically helped common sense.

I also didn't live 50 years ago, but from what I've read and heard about the era, it seems that people generally even less informed then than they are now. In fact, I'd argue that the lack of information available fifty years ago as opposed to now forced a generation to be misinformed about many things, as opposed to know at least when people have the option to inform themselves.

It's just a matter of whether or not they choose to do that. But who knows, maybe I'm just a bit of an optimist.

I feel the same way. I think that there are more intelligent people, more informed people and a more civil society now than at any point in American history.

The difference is that we have pervasive media coverage of the stupid, the uninformed, the rude and the cruel. It sells magazines, air time and gets attention. I don't blame the media...they're just looking to do their job and get distribution and ratings. But it can lead to a pessamistic attitude if you pay too much attention to it.

Think about your own life though. Think about the people with which you meet and interact on a regular basis. In my own case I find the good far outweighs the bad.

As far as the Patriot Act itself it's definitely a slippery slope. I'm positive it makes the jobs of law enforcement easier. And I'd argue that it is vaguely constitutional as well. The constitution authorizes much more extreme measures on the part of the government in the case of war and the argument could definitely be made that even after we bring our forces back from Iraq we're still in a war against Al Qaida.

I honestly can't say whether I believe the Patriot Act is still necessary or not. I'm not dealing with law enforcement issues every day nor am I a lawyer fighting against civil rights violations on the part of my client. If I were a congressman though you better believe I would have wanted to hear from both of those groups before renewing the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act runs on a fine line between the unfortunate necessity from time to time for the government to suspend certain freedoms during times of war and the government stepping over the line and ripping up the bill of rights. It's a line you don't want to cross without grave consideration and a decision that I would hope our elected officials consider on its merits instead of on the basis of political expediency.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:52 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I think that the further you look back in American history, the shorter the supply of common sense.

Dunno, but I do believe the country right now has the most lack of common sense in it's history. Idiots and brain dead people are everywhere. :-o

:-b

Yeah, I don't know how you can come to that conclusion Copper. People rely too much on what they see on the evening news and have little to no idea who is in office or who they've voted into office. They're constantly out for themselves with little regard for anything that goes on around them, let alone outside of their neighborhood. People with common sense are polite. How many polite people do you come across nowadays? It's gone.

Well, I don't think I generalized it enough. If we're talking people in general, than yes, I'm afraid common sense is in short supply.

When I think of common sense, i think of advancements we've made in technology, science, health and basic human understanding. We've come a long way in the past fifty years. It's unfortunately that perhaps the majority of people are morons, but as Art said, that's imply because there's more people.

More people go to college now than ever. Many jobs are in the service industry which, I'd argue, require more common sense than blue collar work. Not that there certainly aren't' exceptions, but fifty years ago, a lot more people were still doing manual labor. The percentage of people with degrees was way lower than it is now.

I think our society has the largest percentage of intelligent people than it ever did. It doesn't mean that percentage isn't trumped by morons... the kind that you describe Omaha, the ones who are slaves to their television and content with their ignorance.

But, I'm also around a lot of very intelligent and polite people too. Not that being polite is a sign of intelligence, some of the nicest people I've known are dumb as a doorknob. I think that education is probably my biggest indicator; and while plenty of idiots are going through our college system, the sheer percentage of those going now as opposed to fifty years ago has dramatically helped common sense.

I also didn't live 50 years ago, but from what I've read and heard about the era, it seems that people generally even less informed then than they are now. In fact, I'd argue that the lack of information available fifty years ago as opposed to now forced a generation to be misinformed about many things, as opposed to know at least when people have the option to inform themselves.

It's just a matter of whether or not they choose to do that. But who knows, maybe I'm just a bit of an optimist.

The difference seems to be what each of us consider to be common sense. You're talking about higher learning, and I agree as a whole, the country is much further advanced than it ever has been.

However, as a general example, what good is being able to build a television from scratch if the person who built it is too stupid to know they have to plug it in for it to work?

Common sense. The most basic of things. Too many people have zero of it. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk