Return to Baseball Leftovers

No love for Bill Hall?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: No love for Bill Hall?

Postby The Cow » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:51 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
The Cow wrote:IMy projection for this year:
.275 105 30 105 15

That looks good to me except the SB. He got caught 9 out of 17 times last year. Plus he only stole 3 bases in the 2nd half in 10 attempts.

On the stolen base front what can I say, I am buying that he is working on getting a better jump from 1st base with a goal of 20SBs. His 47% SB rate last year was poor last year, I am betting on an improvement. I could be very wrong about this part of his game.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:54 am

The Cow wrote:
Yoda wrote:I think it's very reasonable to expect a similar 06 season although I think his AVG will come down.

Well he is a career .267 hitter. He hit .270 last year and .292 in 2005. 2004 he hit .238, but he was 24 years old and seems to have improved as a hitter. I am just saying that .270 is very reasonable if not higher, though he could bat say .260. As for the 162 strikeouts, Soriano struck out 160 times last year. Just saying that hackers can produce and not just phlegm.

The Cow

P.S. Yoda I don't necessarilly disagree with you.

P.S.S. I have seen Hall drop to about pick 80 in quite a few drafts, not a bad value at that point.

He Ks way too much to hit for a high AVG.

Also, his position flexibility is golden especially in H2H leagues.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:02 pm

He's for real. He's a guy that has made a steady climb since being rushed up to big leagues and is hitting his stride now. Watch this guy hit and you can see he has a legitimate power stroke. He doesn't get cheated at the plate, which results in a lot of doubles, home runs, and strikeouts. He's a good source of power at a relative "non-power" position.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JakeTrain72 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:12 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:He's for real. He's a guy that has made a steady climb since being rushed up to big leagues and is hitting his stride now. Watch this guy hit and you can see he has a legitimate power stroke. He doesn't get cheated at the plate, which results in a lot of doubles, home runs, and strikeouts. He's a good source of power at a relative "non-power" position.

Yep, if you need HRs because you went with speedy OFs Hall should be near the top of your list. Compare his power at SS and even a slight dip gives you next best power numbers after Miggy. When you draft Hall, any SBs you get are a bonus, don't count on them because you are drafting him to get power from your SS position. If you draft him at 3B or OF he isn't quite as good, but he isn't horrible. I can see why people are a little down on him this year, but dont let him slip too far even if you are a doubter because he could be a nice value on draft day.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:07 pm

JakeTrain72 wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:He's for real. He's a guy that has made a steady climb since being rushed up to big leagues and is hitting his stride now. Watch this guy hit and you can see he has a legitimate power stroke. He doesn't get cheated at the plate, which results in a lot of doubles, home runs, and strikeouts. He's a good source of power at a relative "non-power" position.

Yep, if you need HRs because you went with speedy OFs Hall should be near the top of your list. Compare his power at SS and even a slight dip gives you next best power numbers after Miggy. When you draft Hall, any SBs you get are a bonus, don't count on them because you are drafting him to get power from your SS position. If you draft him at 3B or OF he isn't quite as good, but he isn't horrible. I can see why people are a little down on him this year, but dont let him slip too far even if you are a doubter because he could be a nice value on draft day.

i was trying to trade him and someone for maybe tejada at short but i think ill keep him. i was high on hall but so many people on here were down on him so i started second thinking. i really wanted tejada for the .60 diff in avg but i guess hall can go for 280
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:01 pm

The scary thing with Hall is last year his contact rate was 9% lower than his minor league numbers and from 2005. If that jumps this year we are talking a top 5 SS easily if he keeps his power.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:48 pm

I kept him 10th out of 10 keepers hoping he's on his way to becoming top SS. Problem is, he'll probably be an OF next year. But I'll use his flexibility this year as much as I can.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:19 am

Yeah, I also feel like the power side is for real. I don't really see an average creeping over .280 though. Mix in a handful of steals with multiple position eligibility and he's nice.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:22 am

Deuce wrote:Problem is, he'll probably be an OF next year. But I'll use his flexibility this year as much as I can.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. However, outfield really isn't as deep as a lot of people make it out to be, given that you need three of them. You shift Hall to the OF and I'm not sure it really hurts his value all that much, as opposed to shortstop. Naturally it's all dependent upon replacement levels etc, but that's just my estimation.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dicehound » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:26 am

I definitely think he's for real. He slugged over .500 every month except May (when he also had a ba of barely .200). He really started to learn how to take a walk in the second half of the season too. He's durable and consistent, even though he probably won't hit higher than .280.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers