Newly Drafted...Need Opinions!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Newly Drafted...Need Opinions!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Newly Drafted...Need Opinions!!!

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:58 am

Hey guys, the draft I've been asking numerous questions about went down tonight. It's a 10 team, roto, non-keeper with standard 5x5 scoring. This is the team I came up with...

C- Ramon Hernandez (17)
1B- Paul Konerko (5)
2B- Chase Utley (1)
3B- Ryan Zimmerman (8)
SS- Miguel Tejada (3)
OF- Bobby Abreu (4)
OF- Gary Sheffield (7)
OF- Nick Swisher (12)
Utl- Travis Hafner (2)
Utl- Felipe Lopez (18)
Utl- Julio Lugo (19)
B- Edwin Encarnacion (21)
B- Chad Tracy (24)

SP- John Smoltz (6)
SP- C.C. Sabathia (10)
SP- Rich Harden (11)
SP- Mike Mussina (13)
SP- Kelvim Escobar (20)
SP- Rich Hill (22)
RP- Chad Cordero (9)
RP- Jose Valverde (14)
RP- Joe Borowski (15)
RP- Joel Zumaya (16)
RP- Jonathan Broxton (23)

I don't really like my relief pitching, though if either Zumaya or Broxton get a closer's nod, I'm in great shape I think. Outfielders flew off the board in this draft, and I found myself without a backup outfielder. I chose to take Chad Tracy with my final pick, because I thought he'd out-produce any of the outfielders that were on the board. I can always pick one up later, I think.

Your thoughts on this team? Areas you like? Areas I should look to improve? Thanks in advance. Leave a link and I'll try to help you out as best I can.
Last edited by BronXBombers51 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lil Shanka » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:47 am

I like Hernandez at catcher, Sheffield is a good value this year, and you got a good mix of consistency and upside at pitcher. Your SB's aren't going to be staggering, but you could finish nicely there depending on how you use Lopez and Lugo. Your relief isn't great, but that is about the easiest thing to fix. Stay tuned to situations in the clubhouse.
Lil Shanka
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:14 am

Yeah, I missed out on some of the 3rd outfielders that I wanted (Pierre, Rios, etc.) and was forced to find my steals in more unconventional spots. I wound up taking Lopez and Lugo to play at my UTL positions, though that is an area I would like to improve as well.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby brahner » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:18 am

I do think you could stand to deal up for a better closer. You have both Tejada and Lopez @ SS -- so use that as bargaining power.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=256497
brahner Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaQ » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:21 am

That's not a bad team at all.

You have a solid, powerful offense, and grabbing Henandez in the 7th was a good pick. You have 3B depth on the bench with Tracy and Encarnaccion, so perhaps I would trade one for...

...pitching, namely a reliever. Your bpen isn't bad, but having another dependable closer there wouldn't hurt. Your starting rotation isn't bad though, and you have some veterans suyuch as Smoltz, CC, and Moose, with a comeback player in Harden and a sleeper in Hill.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 46#2082646
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby saahil » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:56 am

pretty good team, yea as was mentioned above, you have two SS, you could probably package one of them and improve your team.
[url=http://gettingfreestuffiseasy.com//]Check out my Site on how to get stuff for free![/url]
saahil
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nakgxf » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:42 pm

Deal Lopez now for a closer. He's going to have fewer SB's this year because of Manny Acta's conservative tendencies on the basepaths, and he's playing in a pitcher's park on a horrible team. I think Felipe's highest value this season very well could be now.

If there are any teams in your league who need MI and have some RP, try an work a deal.

Oh, and in my thread, you said to pick up Gagne, as well as some others, but didn't tell me who to drop. Take a look and post who to drop if you so desire. Thanks.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=256597
nakgxf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaggsIsMint » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:21 pm

Yeah you can trade Lopez because you have Tejada but then where are the steals gonna come from? I would actually just stand pat and then use your depth later to handcuff a team who runs into injury problems. Hopefully that scenario happens sooner rather than later in order to fully solidify your OF/RP. But as it stands I think you have a prety solid squad.

Help me out:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=256600
MaggsIsMint
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sensei » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:38 pm

Your rotation is a bit iffy behind Smotlz and CC, and keep an eye on your closers as they may not hold the job all year. Good power, and I'd be inclinded to keep Lopez. Lopez is most of your steals, with Utley, Abreu, and Lugo all chipping in, but see how you come out before moving one of those guys. Your bench hitters may deserve a roster spot depending on how they perform.
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby itodd » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:31 pm

great balance, nice pitching staff. Between Zimmerman and Encariononion, you're gonna end up with a great 3b.

no glaring holes in sight.
itodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team