Tech Help Please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tech Help Please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Yea if its trying to boot the other windows xp drive its gonna see it as a major change especially if its like a DELL XP Copy etc..

You'd need another partition i'd assume
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:30 pm

can we say google spreadsheets!!

post those excel files online via google spreadsheets and access them anywhere! ;-D
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:04 pm

acsguitar wrote:You'd need another partition i'd assume

That wouldn't do anything unless you changed the partition that's trying to boot to non-bootable. It doesn't matter if you have a million other partitions it's gonna try to boot the one that is set to boot in the partition table unless you can trick it into thinking it's the primary drive. And even then you'll run into the problem Tav was talking about with major system change.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:42 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:

That wouldn't do anything unless you changed the partition that's trying to boot to non-bootable. It doesn't matter if you have a million other partitions it's gonna try to boot the one that is set to boot in the partition table unless you can trick it into thinking it's the primary drive. And even then you'll run into the problem Tav was talking about with major system change.

You wouldn't run into the major partition change if you destroyed or made the main partition non bootable.

Fdisk could do this right?

Anyways whatever its way too complicated for transferring spreedsheet :)

I had two drives one with a non bootable windows partition that worked fine. I deleted the boot files off of it but kept the folder structures.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:17 pm

acsguitar wrote:

You wouldn't run into the major partition change if you destroyed or made the main partition non bootable.

I had two drives one with a non bootable windows partition that worked fine. I deleted the boot files off of it but kept the folder structures.

You could do that I guess, but overwriting the boot sector data is waaay too much trouble to get a couple of spreadsheets. Maybe I'm just lazy? :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:37 pm

acsguitar wrote:

You could do that I guess, but overwriting the boot sector data is waaay too much trouble to get a couple of spreadsheets. Maybe I'm just lazy? :-o

hahah i agree...

I had a 20 gig drive from an old OS when i first started messing with building computers and i just erased all the files off of it except for the i386 folder I think and some documents.

It worked fine as an extra drive.

;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:50 am

Tavish wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:Yea I'd like to just use my HD (versus my friends HD. I'm putting mine in his cpu) exclusively, but when I hook it up that way it asks for a product activation code, which I don't have. It's back at home and I'm on vacation. Another catch is that I have excel and he doesn't, so I'm not sure the copy trick would work.

XP asks for the activation code when there are major changes to the system hardware. Trying to plug it into a different box would be considered a major change (or else everyone could beat copy protection by installing XP on one box over and over and giving the hard drives away).

Chances are that you don't have file permissions for the slave drive, set it back up to where you could see the old drive but the files were locked. You should be able to change the owner to Administrator and be ok. Boot up in safe mode and right click/Properties on the cheat sheet file. Change the owner in the Security/Advanced tab of the Properties menu.

Thank you.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Previous

Return to General Talk