Yanks and Sheffield reach agreement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks and Sheffield reach agreement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:41 pm

ramble2 wrote:Sheffield's agent has been mentioned in some of the press releases I've read regarding this deal. I seem to recall that Sheffield was going to act as his own agent. Does anyone else remember this? When did this change?

Oh well, maybe I got confused.

I've seen the Sheff's agent double talk myself. As far as I'm aware, Sheff is his own agent. I think the guy that a few of the articles are calling his agent, is just someone who wants to sound important.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:43 pm

ramble.......Some players have gone that route (like John Stockton) but what more players were doing was acting as their own agent and then hiring a lawyer to go over the contract. That saved them a bundle.

I also thought that Sheffield was acting as his own agent. Maybe he is like the Rock. He refers to the player in the 1st person and the agent in the 3rd person. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby timkell » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:48 pm

Did the Yankees lose a draft pick by signing Sheffield before he went to abritration with the Braves??

Yep.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:50 pm

Unless something has changed in the last day or so, this is where it stood (from ESPN.com):

New York might wait until after Dec. 7, the deadline for teams to offer salary arbitration to former players who became free agents, to finalize the deal with Sheffield, a baseball official with knowledge of the situation told AP on condition of anonymity.

If the Braves don't offer arbitration to Sheffield, the team that signs him after Dec. 7 would not lose any amateur draft picks as compensation.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:53 pm

Madison wrote:
ramble2 wrote:Sheffield's agent has been mentioned in some of the press releases I've read regarding this deal. I seem to recall that Sheffield was going to act as his own agent. Does anyone else remember this? When did this change?

Oh well, maybe I got confused.

I've seen the Sheff's agent double talk myself. As far as I'm aware, Sheff is his own agent. I think the guy that a few of the articles are calling his agent, is just someone who wants to sound important.

Yeah, I have found Rufus Williams to be a pain ever since his name began to be mentioned in the Sheffield talks. He is obviously a man founded on capitolist economic values. I would guess that Sheffield chose to have Rufus assist him so that he could make sure he got a sound contract. I do not think that Rufus needs to keep opening his mouth to the public. If talking is necessary, he can do it with the organizations that are interested in Sheffield.

It seems like this off-seasons theme is:

No wait this deal may not happen! Or maybe it will! Tune in tomorrow to see if we were merely trying to milk another transaction for every smidgen of media attention that it can recieve!
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers