Yanks and Sheffield reach agreement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks and Sheffield reach agreement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yanks and Sheffield reach agreement

Postby kentx12 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:20 am

Nov. 29, 2003
SportsLine.com staff and wire reports

Now that their hated rivals from Boston have traded for Curt Schilling, it might not be long before the Yankees strike back in a big way.

Free agent Gary Sheffield will be in pinstripes soon, Newsday and the Record (Bergen County, N.J.) reported in their Saturday editions. According to the newspapers, the Yankees have reached an agreement in principle with the seven-time All-Star rightfielder.

Sources told Newsday the three-year agreement will pay Sheffieled between $38 million and $40 million and features a team option for a fourth year.

Sheffield, who turned 35 two weeks ago, hit .330 with 39 homers, 132 RBI and 18 stolen bases this season with the Braves.

The Yankees are also hoping to re-sign free agent Andy Pettitte. Free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon and the Expos' Javier Vazquez are on their wish list as well.

That sucks :-t
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yanks and Sheffield reach agreement

Postby DK » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:22 am

kentx12 wrote:The Yankees are also hoping to re-sign free agent Andy Pettitte. Free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon and the Expos' Javier Vazquez are on their wish list as well.

Their wish list? don't you mean their soon-to-be team? :-t
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:59 am

Sheff/Colon/Pettitte are not surprises. I'd be surprised if they get Vazquez, but with the signing of Schilling in Boston, it's still a possibility.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Swinger » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:05 pm

The Empire Strikes Back!
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:05 pm

Swinger wrote:The Empire Strikes Back!

stupid empire.... :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:10 pm

"Winning is only 2nd to breathing."-General George Steinbrenner in a press release during the 2003 playoffs.

-Don't worry, I think he's a complete idiot myself.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:23 pm

Swinger wrote:The Empire Strikes Back!

That reminded me of that funny banner that someone brought to game 7 of the Yanks-Sox series.

This thread reiterates what I know to be true. That, when the Yankees are good, people like to criticize them. It's all about respect and envy. No one would say a thing if they sucked. Look at the Sox. They are good and trying to get better and their haters are coming out of the woodwork as well. People are envious of a team that actually has needs and goes out and tries to fix them rather than crying poverty and pocketing the luxury tax money for another yacht.

DK.......I feel your pain when you read the paper and see the Yanks looking at the Colons of the world and the Mets are scheduling meetings with guys like Cameron, Sanders, and Pokey Reese. I am serious. I would be frustrated, too, but direct that frustration towards your team and not another. Wilpon and Baby Wilpon have too many chiefs and not enough indians. Doubleday was a tool but at least they did some good things when he was there. I am glad that Duquette got the job but I wonder how much input he will really have.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Erboes » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:13 pm

Yes, it's all true! I, for one, am jealous of the Red Sox. My goodness, who wouldn't be? Wild card participants, occasional World Series appearances, and a championship every century or so. By golly, why couldn't that be us?

Disband the Sox! Disband the Sox!
Last edited by Erboes on Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kdawg » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:13 pm

Did the Yankees lose a draft pick by signing Sheffield before he went to abritration with the Braves??
kdawg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ramble2 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:36 pm

Sheffield's agent has been mentioned in some of the press releases I've read regarding this deal. I seem to recall that Sheffield was going to act as his own agent. Does anyone else remember this? When did this change?

I thought acting as your own agent was a pretty shrewd move. How much does the typical agent take in fees? 10%? 20%? Even if Shef ended up signing a deal a little below market, he would've come out ahead in the end. I remember Steve Young acted as his own agent. Given that pro football players tend to finish college (and even take some grad courses if they stick around long enough), I've always been surprised that more players don't follow this course. I think it's less likely to happen in baseball (and, now, basketball too), given that fewer players have college educations.

Oh well, maybe I got confused.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers