First round infielder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First round infielder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:19 am

LBJackal wrote:I follow the same idea of "infield first...There are about a dozen guys who could potentially fill those last 5 spots. None of those 12 (Delgado, Pedro, Halladay, Manny, Wells, Nomar, Giambi, Wilson, Maggs, Bonds, Sheff, Thome) are bad first round picks IMO, it just comes down to what your preferances are, and how you think each player will do. Personally, I see no problem in taking Delgado in the first round, since he isn't an OF or P, and there are only 4 non-OF/P's on my list of 12. 1B isn't a rare position by any stretch of the imagination, but it is still harder to fill than OF and SP is, so IMO it gets priority, which means Delgado is a first rounder.

LBJackal wrote:as for Wilson; anybody in that good a lineup, who is THAT good a hitter, and can still steal bases is never a bad pick, unless he's ahead of the "Big 7". I wouldn't take him, but I wouldn't blame somebody for taking him over Bonds/Sheff/Thome/Maggs/Wells. I also would never take Bonds in the first round.

I articulated my thoughts pretty well I thought. I said I wouldn't take either Bonds or Wilson in the first. I said they aren't bad first round picks, and that "it just comes down to what your preferances are, and how you think each player will do". I said I'd take Wilson before Maggs, and after Bonds, Wells, and Sheff. Those were meant as rankings, as to which OF's I preferred, with respect to Wilson. I never said I planned on taking any of those guys in the first round. I made it clear that I wouldn't take them in the first round.

To clarify: I think that those 19 players (A-Rod, Pujols, Vlad, Prior, Soriano, Beltran, Helton, Delgado, Pedro, Halladay, Manny, Wells, Nomar, Giambi, Wilson, Maggs, Bonds, Sheff, and Thome) could all be first rounders. The first seven, in bold, IMO are guaranteed first rounders. The other 12 could find their way in there depending on preferance. My preferance is IF. My top 12 would probably be:

A-Rod, Pujols, Vlad, Prior, Soriano, Beltran, Helton, Delgado, Pedro, Thome, Sheff, Halladay. That's just random, not in any order. I would possibly take Nomar over Halladay as well, and maybe even over Sheff (although the fact that he's with the Yankees now is encouraging).

Usually I just type as I think, so it might appear random. I'll try to be more clear and concise in the future. Hopefully the ends meet now :-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Average seasons

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:45 am

I've found a bunch of stat sites on the net, but not anyone that has broke down what the position avg was, or even had a grand total or something along those lines.

If I haven't expressed myself clearly what I am looking for is say the average 1B hit .265 .335 .420 24 hrs 96 rbis 3 sbs 82 runs etc. I am looking for totals for all positions, or averages. If anyone might have a link I'd appreciate it.

I am looking for all this for predraft ranking system I am playing around with. I am hoping to find time to factor in park power rankings, and say even a past manager's history of say allowing people to steal.

I berlieve for example that Derrek Lee's SBs will drop dramatically in Chicago under Dusty Baker. But before I make the assumption off the top of my head I would like to do some number crunching.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:12 am

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Why not sign up and become a member here at the Cafe. And BTW, here's a link to a stats site:

http://www.rmi.net/~doug/

Not many stat sites like that are free, and that one is updated following every game, which is good for keeping in-season stats as well.

PS: Let me know how your ranking system goes. I have one of my own, but it could always use improvements. I might suggest referring to this thread, it's helpful for working out a system that ranks hitters based on how much their average would help/hurt a fantasy team, instead of basing their rank in average based on the pure number itself, which doesn't take into account AB's. Some might say this formula was created for Barry Bonds :-) And I also tweaked that formula a bit to represent pitchers' ERA/WHIP. Surprisingly, Eric Gagne is right near the top of both categories despite his low IP.

Anyway, good luck, and sign up!

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers