First round infielder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First round infielder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First round infielder

Postby Justise » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:57 am

So for 3 out of 3 drafts Delgado went in the first round.

I caught heat for it the first time I did it, and obviously I don't plan to do it in any real drafts in the future, but I'm still unsure as to who is that first round Infielder that you should take. Who's the guy who won't be available in the second round.

(Assuming your drafting later then 6th when Pujols, A-Rod and Soriano are all gone)

I say Infield because of my strategy of.

Infield
Pitching
Outfield
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:24 am

Helton is the man in my mind.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby LBJackal » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:37 am

I follow the same idea of "infield first". But Between pitchers and outfielders, it doesn't matter the order. I take the best available players after my IF is set. And Delgado in the first round isn't a terrible idea. Just make sure Helton is already gone.

The usual A-Rod, Pujols, Vlad, Prior, Soriano, Beltran, and Helton should all go in the first round. That leaves 5 guys to go in the first. There are about a dozen guys who could potentially fill those last 5 spots. None of those 12 (Delgado, Pedro, Halladay, Manny, Wells, Nomar, Giambi, Wilson, Maggs, Bonds, Sheff, Thome) are bad first round picks IMO, it just comes down to what your preferances are, and how you think each player will do. Personally, I see no problem in taking Delgado in the first round, since he isn't an OF or P, and there are only 4 non-OF/P's on my list of 12. 1B isn't a rare position by any stretch of the imagination, but it is still harder to fill than OF and SP is, so IMO it gets priority, which means Delgado is a first rounder.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:45 pm

I agree with you for the most part, but

LBJackal wrote:None of those 12 (Delgado, Pedro, Halladay, Manny, Wells, Nomar, Giambi, Wilson, Maggs, Bonds, Sheff, Thome) are bad first round picks IMO

If you took Preston Wilson in the first round I'd laugh my ass off. Also, where's Prior? I'd take him over Halladay and even Pedro. I also have to differ with you on Vernon Wells as a first rounder, given OF depth.

just my 2 cents
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby shortsavage » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:34 pm

I'd like to second the anti-Wilson first round notion.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Re: First round infielder

Postby DK » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:05 pm

Justise wrote:So for 3 out of 3 drafts Delgado went in the first round.

I caught heat for it the first time I did it, and obviously I don't plan to do it in any real drafts in the future, but I'm still unsure as to who is that first round Infielder that you should take. Who's the guy who won't be available in the second round.

(Assuming your drafting later then 6th when Pujols, A-Rod and Soriano are all gone)

I say Infield because of my strategy of.

Infield
Pitching
Outfield

I try not to go in with a set strategy, although I do like balancing my team out as much as i can (despite how the mock draft went for me :-b )
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:51 pm

blankman wrote:I agree with you for the most part, but

LBJackal wrote:None of those 12 (Delgado, Pedro, Halladay, Manny, Wells, Nomar, Giambi, Wilson, Maggs, Bonds, Sheff, Thome) are bad first round picks IMO

If you took Preston Wilson in the first round I'd laugh my ass off. Also, where's Prior? I'd take him over Halladay and even Pedro. I also have to differ with you on Vernon Wells as a first rounder, given OF depth.

just my 2 cents

To answer the Prior question...

LBJackal wrote:The usual A-Rod, Pujols, Vlad, Prior, Soriano, Beltran, and Helton should all go in the first round. That leaves 5 guys to go in the first. There are about a dozen guys who could potentially fill those last 5 spots. None of those 12 (Delgado, Pedro, Halladay, Manny, Wells, Nomar, Giambi, Wilson, Maggs, Bonds, Sheff, Thome) are bad first round picks IMO

And as for Wilson; anybody in that good a lineup, who is THAT good a hitter, and can still steal bases is never a bad pick, unless he's ahead of the "Big 7". I wouldn't take him, but I wouldn't blame somebody for taking him over Bonds/Sheff/Thome/Maggs/Wells. I also would never take Bonds in the first round.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:22 pm

LBJackal wrote:And as for Wilson; anybody in that good a lineup, who is THAT good a hitter, and can still steal bases is never a bad pick, unless he's ahead of the "Big 7". I wouldn't take him, but I wouldn't blame somebody for taking him over Bonds/Sheff/Thome/Maggs/Wells. I also would never take Bonds in the first round.

Wilson was not in the top 50 base stealers in 2003. And, even though he was 41st and 32nd in 2001 & 2002, respectively, I can not think of any reasons for why he should swipe more bags next season. Therefore, I would not expect him to steal more bases than an average player.

Wilson is too big of a gamble to be a number one pick. It is very tough to justify taking someone with his track record over Bonds, Sheffield, Magglio and Wells.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:21 am

As long as he's in Colorado he's a top notch OF. And I didn't say he was a great base stealer, but he's above average, especially for a power hitting OF.

I'd take him possibly over Maggs, but not Bonds, Sheff, or Wells. The average top 100 OF averages under 11 SB's, so I think he'll remain above average. And for the top 50 HR hitters, the average SB's is 7, so his 14 were a nice bonus. Even without the SB's he's a top OF though.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:24 am

LBJackal wrote:None of those 12 (Delgado, Pedro, Halladay, Manny, Wells, Nomar, Giambi, Wilson, Maggs, Bonds, Sheff, Thome) are bad first round picks IMO, it just comes down to what your preferances are, and how you think each player will do.

Ok, so you think that Wilson would be an acceptable first round pick.

LBJackal wrote:I also would never take Bonds in the first round.

And, you would not take Bonds in the first round.

LBJackal wrote:I'd take him (Wilson) possibly over Maggs, but not Bonds, Sheff, or Wells.

But, you would take Bonds over Wilson :-? .

You usually have interesting opinions and I enjoy listening to them, but it drives me crazy when you skip over making ends meet, then expect us to follow your train of thought :-o .

You should take the extra time to be articulate with your thoughts just like everyone else (o) .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers