Looks like George will counter with 38 mil to Sheffield :-o
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Madison » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:48 am

Looks like it. Wonder how much he's going to give Colon.....
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:51 am

Here's the latest from Rotoworld:

Gary Sheffield - OF - Atlanta Braves Nov 29

According to Newsday, the Yankees and Gary Sheffield are close to agreeing to a three-year deal worth $38 million-$40 million.
The contract would contain an option for a fourth year. None of the other New York papers are reporting that a deal is close. The Daily News suggests that the Yankees will wait until after the arbitration deadline to sign Sheffield to a contract worth about $33 million over three years. Source: Newsday
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Gang Green » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:07 am

Just great, Sheffield will go into right field and Soriano will still be at 2nd base and batting leadoff. As a Yankees fan, this stinks. We needed more balance in our lineup. More contact hitters who can move runners along and score, not another big bopper. Should have put Soriano in right and gotten a 2B. I guess the Yanks realized they couldn't get Kaz Matsui.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gang Green » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:11 am

However, there is a rumor floating around NY that the Boss wants Bernie to be the full time DH and he will put Soriano in center or left with Hideki Matsui taking the other outfield spot. Nick Johnson would then be traded for Javier Vasquez to clear out the DH position for Bernie. The one thing I don't get about this is that Bernie in no shape or form wants to DH. After all he has accomplished, he deserves the right to have some say in the matter. Also, if Giambi's knees go south and he has to DH, whose bat are you going to sit in the outfield?
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:32 am

Gang Green wrote:Just great, Sheffield will go into right field and Soriano will still be at 2nd base and batting leadoff. As a Yankees fan, this stinks. We needed more balance in our lineup. More contact hitters who can move runners along and score, not another big bopper. Should have put Soriano in right and gotten a 2B. I guess the Yanks realized they couldn't get Kaz Matsui.

It's Torres fault Soriano leads off. Jeter should leadoff with Johnson 2nd. Sheffield is a great hitter. Call him a bopper if you want. Why make outs moving along runners when you can get a 40% oba and drive the bedazzles out of the ball (Sheffield). NY needs pitching, but only Vlad would have been a better bat, and hes out.

I'm not sure why people are so hot on making outs (bunting, moving runners over). It doesn't increase run production. It actually curtails it. In a rare given spot, it has advantages yes, but 90% of the time, no. You know who lead al in sac hits last year? Tigers with 65, and were last in runs. Boston who lead in runs had the 3rd lowest with 24. Jays had 2nd most runs, lowest sacrifices with 11. NY was 3rd in runs, had 25 bunts. You score by not making outs (oba), and to a lesser degree, slugging. You know Beane and his methods get a bad rap because he hasn't won, but it's really the NYY who play Beane ball ( walks+hrs). NY was 1st in walks, 2nd in oba, 3rd in hrs. Oakland was a poor 10th, 327 in oba.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby kentx12 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:35 am

Gang Green wrote:Just great, Sheffield will go into right field and Soriano will still be at 2nd base and batting leadoff. As a Yankees fan, this stinks. We needed more balance in our lineup. More contact hitters who can move runners along and score, not another big bopper. Should have put Soriano in right and gotten a 2B. I guess the Yanks realized they couldn't get Kaz Matsui.

:~( :~( Just like all Yankee fans. Try being a Brave fan and your best player is going to be bought by the evil empire. You all need to find something else to do because noone really cares that you cry about all the superstars your team buys.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:00 am

lol

Only a Yankee fan would complain about adding a bat like Sheff.
It still amazes me..... 8-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby kentx12 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:04 am

wrveres wrote:

lol

They dont know any better. It must be something in the water. 8-o Or the sewer. :-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:10 am

kentx12 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

lol

They dont know any better. It must be something in the water. 8-o Or the sewer. :-D

I can't wait for baseball season, if only so I don't have to read ...
Theo this and George that
Boston this and the Yankees that. I'd say 75% of the threads this offseason are Yankees and Sox. :-t :-t and 75% of those are their fans trying to figure out why nobody like them.

Me. I think I'll pull for Lou Pinella's boys to upset. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers