Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:56 pm

Pedro should of easily had 4-5 more wins last season if the bullpen hadn't imploded last year in the beginning.

AND, I don't know if everyone will agree with me, but Pedro just has that kind of attitude that you want. You want him out there in game 7 of a world series(although, you should take him out when he's tired!!!). I'm not saying Prior doesn't belong on the mound in Game 7, but he simply hasn't proven to me yet that he wants to be out there in Game 7. Sometimes talent isn't the only thing that makes up a pitcher. Attitude and mystique also play a part in their overall effectiveness.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

HUH????????

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:08 pm

Did you watch any Cubs games last year??????? Their bullpen was terrible, though Borowski was solid. Problem was the lead was blown by good old A.A. or Remlinger or whoever they threw out there. If Wood had a better bullpen and better run support he could have easily won 20 games and perhaps the CY. What have the Cubs done about these issues? They signed Hawkins for setup and improved there O with Lee and Aramis not to mention Patterson coming back..

Yikes the baseball universe does not orbit around Boston!

Cow OUT
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:24 pm

I never said that the baseball universe revolved around Boston. I was simply trying to put across my point of view. To be truthful, the cubs were my second favorite team last year. I was rooting for them all through the playoffs. To me, Pedro is better than Prior or Wood. Thats MY opinion. You may think different, but simply because I like the Red Sox and have for 18 years, doesn't mean I think the Red Sox are EVERYTHING.
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Zany

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:28 pm

The Cow wrote:Now this may sound crazy, but that Pedro for the Expos sounds a whole lot like that Wood guy for the Cubs. But there is no chance Wood improves, right??? Can't be done, players do not improve, past stats are all that matter. Wood will never stop walking people. So with that logic Pedro, Pedro never improved and never became the dominant pitcher that he WAS!!!!! It was all an evil plot by Bud Selig!!!!!

Wood's BB totals for the last four years 87, 92, 77, 100. Pedro's BB totals in Montreal 66, 70, 67, 67. Bottom line Pedro is a pitcher, Wood is a thrower.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Nomar

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:29 pm

Hey uh Nomar4Prez,

I meant Boston fans in general not you. Geeze the fantasy world does not revolve around you!!!!!!!!!!!?????? LOL A joke really.
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:31 pm

Sorry about that then. Just get a little offended when people generalize me into a "crazy" red sox fan.
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:33 pm

As much as I hate to admit it, Pedro/Schilling is the better duo for next year in real baseball, but for every year afterwards, I'll take Prior/Wood.

As a fantasy owner however, I'll take the two young guns- more innings, much more CG's (which count in my roto league) and most likely, fewer injuries. The pairs should end up with very similar win and strikeout totals I think, with the WHIP edge to the Sox pair and call it a gut feeling, but I'll give the ERA edge next year two the Cubs pair. (no I don't have stats to back it up, its just my opinion).
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:47 am

The Cow wrote:Now this may sound crazy, but that Pedro for the Expos sounds a whole lot like that Wood guy for the Cubs. But there is no chance Wood improves, right??? Can't be done, players do not improve, past stats are all that matter. Wood will never stop walking people. So with that logic Pedro, Pedro never improved and never became the dominant pitcher that he WAS!!!!!

No one ever said no one can improve? :-[
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:02 am

The Cow wrote:As for Prior being better than Pedro how about, more Wins despite playing on a team with an anemic offense and more K's!!!!???????

More wins, and more losses.
Prior 18-6 .750%
Pedro 14-4 .778%

Pedro 215 average
Prior 231

Pedro 271 oba
Prior 280

Pedro 314 slugging %
Prior 352

Fairly close, however, i think the key element is that Pedro was in the higher scoring league (.25 runs higher).
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby ramble2 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:05 am

The Cow wrote:Are Yahoo rankings perfect, no, but they are arbitrary.

Cow OUT

Couldn't have said it better myself! :-D

As for the Prior/Wood or Pedro/Schilling debate, I'd take Pedro and Schilling in a non-keeper league, other than strikeouts you'll come out ahead. Keeper league, I'd take Prior/Wood.

Ramble2 OUT :-°
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers