Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby timkell » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:00 pm

Prior is a little bit better than both


I can't agree with this. The guy is a stud, but until he has five years like Pedro, he's no Pedro.

I guess fantasy wise, I'd go with Prior over Pedro because of the innings, but I think I'd still take Schilling over Prior, unless I was in a keeper league.

I do agree Prior is a special pitcher, but there have plenty of special pitchers before who were busts. There have only been a handful of pitchers ever in Pedro's class. I think we should keep that in mind when we're comparing these guys.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 680
Joined: 12 May 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The House that Ruth Built

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:09 pm

I think the Cow's just ahtin on the Sox. Comparing the Cub's offense to the Sox? Last year, The sox set some MAJOR LEAGUE, all-time records. Granted, they prolly won't be as good as last year, but with Mueller in for a whole yeah, and Callisto @ Second (prolly just wishful thinking, but u never know...) and foulke closing (keep ur fingers crossed...) they'll blow less leads (Pedro lost like 4 or five wins cuz the bullpen couldn't keep leads). The Cubbies havbe a good Offense, but it's not record on the level the sox were

A note on perdo: He doesnt pitch as fast now, but his placement is better the\an it was. He also has one of the leagues best changeups. He hits his spots ('cept for gfame 7 :-o )

Schilling: ERA: 2.95 ( i think)
Record 8-9...somethings not adding up. Thats a good era, bad record. I wonder why, the D-Backs had a crappy Offense last year. Put that ERA on the Sox's offense,= good record.

I'll take Pedro/Schiulling
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 2450
Joined: 23 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: partying with big papi after the win!

Yep

Postby The Cow » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:45 am

Prior is no Pedro for sure, he is better than Pedro right now. It doesn't matter what a player has done the last 5 years, this year and beyond is all that matters.

Just a guess here, but if the Cubs offered Wood and Prior to the Sox for Pedro and Schilling, old Theo wouldn't even need to break out his slide rule to make that deal. Theo would make that deal and all you Boston fans would love it!!!!! However, the Cubs would never pull that deal unless the Sox added a player to the deal say Nomah, because in reality Prior and Wood have a lot more trade value than Pedro and Schilling.

The future is bright in Cubbieville, oh yes it is!!!

One last thought, would any of you take Pedro or Schilling over Prior in a keeper league???

COW OUT
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:57 am

Cow...In a keeper league you HAVE to take Prior. However, for next season, I'm taking Pedro and Schil over Prior and Wood. I won't even think twice about it.
Image
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8264
(Past Year: 473)
Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: QUACK-QUACK....GO DUCKS!

Re: I agree

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:16 am

The Cow wrote:2. Wood- Imagine if he stops walking people. As it is he keeps a low WHIP unlike Kaz the reason being is that he is practically unhittable.


imagine if ankiel didnt lose his marbles. imagine if jeff fassero had a 100 mph fastball. imagine if brett tomko didnt give up 800 home runs last year. i dont think it matters too much what you imagine, what matters is what actually does happen. wood walks a fair amount of people, always has. he has yet to record more than 14 wins. in the last three seasons, pedro has as many losses (11) as wood had last year. fantasy wise and in the real world, pedro and schilling are the top duo next year.

i dont know if i would really say schilling is old and injury prone. he missed chunks of time last year due to an appendectomy (which is as more of an illness than an injury) and a broken hand from a comebacker. these arent overuse/old age issues.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3766
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Re: I agree

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:30 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
The Cow wrote:2. Wood- Imagine if he stops walking people. As it is he keeps a low WHIP unlike Kaz the reason being is that he is practically unhittable.


imagine if ankiel didnt lose his marbles. imagine if jeff fassero had a 100 mph fastball. imagine if brett tomko didnt give up 800 home runs last year. i dont think it matters too much what you imagine, what matters is what actually does happen.


Yup.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Re: I agree

Postby PresHabib » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:19 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i dont know if i would really say schilling is old and injury prone. he missed chunks of time last year due to an appendectomy (which is as more of an illness than an injury) and a broken hand from a comebacker. these arent overuse/old age issues.


Thank you, I love this quote. I hate that people don't realize that THOSE are the reasons Schilling missed time. Those are two highly unpreventable accidents. Schilling has been a horse in the past and then he gets two unavoidable accidents and he's injury prone? Thats like sayin Cal Ripken was injury prone if he missed games during his streak for getting hit in the head a couple times. Very well said.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1118
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park

Re: I agree

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:27 pm

PresHabib wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:i dont know if i would really say schilling is old and injury prone. he missed chunks of time last year due to an appendectomy (which is as more of an illness than an injury) and a broken hand from a comebacker. these arent overuse/old age issues.


Thank you, I love this quote. I hate that people don't realize that THOSE are the reasons Schilling missed time. Those are two highly unpreventable accidents. Schilling has been a horse in the past and then he gets two unavoidable accidents and he's injury prone? Thats like sayin Cal Ripken was injury prone if he missed games during his streak for getting hit in the head a couple times. Very well said.


I agree. ;-D I have no injury concerns about Schilling next year. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby mtarail » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:02 pm

timkell wrote:
Prior is a little bit better than both


I can't agree with this. The guy is a stud, but until he has five years like Pedro, he's no Pedro.

I guess fantasy wise, I'd go with Prior over Pedro because of the innings, but I think I'd still take Schilling over Prior, unless I was in a keeper league.

I do agree Prior is a special pitcher, but there have plenty of special pitchers before who were busts. There have only been a handful of pitchers ever in Pedro's class. I think we should keep that in mind when we're comparing these guys.


Well, TimKell. I disagree with you that Prior has much of a chance of being a bust. There's a lot of young pitchers with bright futures, but he's established himself as the best. What he did in the playoffs was amazing.

Fantasy-wise I think Prior over Schilling is a no-brainer. I'll take a strong young guy with a gun like Prior's over a 38 year old power pitcher coming off of a broken hand any day when my turn in the draft comes.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Re: Yep

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:32 pm

The Cow wrote:Prior is no Pedro for sure, he is better than Pedro right now.

Just a guess here, but if the Cubs offered Wood and Prior to the Sox for Pedro and Schilling, old Theo wouldn't even need to break out his slide rule to make that deal.

One last thought, would any of you take Pedro or Schilling over Prior in a keeper league???

COW OUT


Which of those 3 you take 1st in a keeper, has no bearing on which is the better pitcher right now. None at all.

Of course Theo makes the trade. Prior is cheap and young. Again this has no bearing on who is the best right now.

Who do you think is better?

Pitcher A with a 2.22 era, compared to a 4.71 league adjusted era, for a era+ of 212 or,

Pitcher B with a 2.43 era, compared to a 4.43 league adjusted era,
for a era+ of 175

A = Pedro B = Prior

Fact, Pedro displayed a lower era, 2.22 versus 2.43, in a higher scoring environement (al with dh), 4.71 versus 4.43. Show me evidence Prior is better?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact