Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better

Postby The Cow » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:57 pm

Well the obvious answer is Prior and Wood. Neither Pedro nor Schilling were as dominant as in years past. Pedro just isn't the same pitcher he once was, I mean the guy is afraid to throw a fastball. Pedro and Schilling are both past their prime whereas Prior and Wood are just reaching theirs. Of the 4 pitchers Prior is easily the best of the bunch. Ranking the other 3 is difficult, I would go with Wood then Schilling then Pedro. So all you Boston fans don't get too excited, these guys are old. Pedro and Schillling will soon go the way of Maddux and Glavine and by soon I mean this year.
The contract extension given to Schilling will be an albatross for that franchise until Schilling and Pedro pick out their retirement villas.

COW OUT
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better

Postby Greenrider » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:28 pm

The Cow wrote:The contract extension given to Schilling will be an albatross for that franchise until Schilling and Pedro pick out their retirement villas.

COW OUT

So is it fair if I quote you like this?

"Schilling and Pedro are in the twilight of their career"
-Mr. Cow Duquette

keep dreaming
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MikeeDee » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:39 pm

heehee
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Yes I would say that is fair

Postby The Cow » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:45 pm

Maybe the Red Sox can squeeze one good year out of those two, maybe. After that all bets are off. In your fantasy drafts I would think the 4 players would be drafted in this order:

1. Prior a lock especially in keeper leagues which are similar to MLB.
2. Schilling
3. Pedro Pedro and Schilling would most likely be rated about the same.
4. Wood- This is the guy I have rated 2nd and you should as well.

Thats all for now
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MikeeDee » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:55 pm

I'd take Prior over any of the other 3 anytime, but Wood has to become a real pitcher first. he already had one TJ-surgery and unless he learns how to be a little more efficient with his pitches he'll need another one soon. On top of that he plays for Dusty who had him throw a lot more innings than necessary.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Prior and Wood or Pedro and Schilling which duo is better

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:01 pm

The Cow wrote:Well the obvious answer is Prior and Wood. Neither Pedro nor Schilling were as dominant as in years past. Pedro just isn't the same pitcher he once was, I mean the guy is afraid to throw a fastball. Pedro and Schilling are both past their prime whereas Prior and Wood are just reaching theirs. Of the 4 pitchers Prior is easily the best of the bunch. Ranking the other 3 is difficult, I would go with Wood then Schilling then Pedro. So all you Boston fans don't get too excited, these guys are old. Pedro and Schillling will soon go the way of Maddux and Glavine and by soon I mean this year.
The contract extension given to Schilling will be an albatross for that franchise until Schilling and Pedro pick out their retirement villas.

COW OUT

You should like either a Redsox hater :-P , or a Cub homer :-o
Pedro isn't the same? He only posted his 4th best era+ in his career at 212. Yeah, bring out the walker and cane. Prior had a nice 175+, and Wood was at 133+. Neither was as dominent as Pedro last year. Pedro is only 32. That's not old. Looking at whips
Pedro 1.04
Prior 1.10
Wood 1.19
and Pedro never faced a pitcher.
Yes indeed, it seems the aging, worn out Pedro, took the kids to school. Prior isn't easily the best of bunch. Pedro is still king.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:37 pm

I'll take Pedro and Schilling. Prior is a stud but Pedro is better. Wood still hasn't proven he can be an ace.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby DK » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:27 pm

I'll take all four. :-B
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pkarr5000 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:29 am

if its for the future, definetly wood and prior but if its for only this year or the next, ill take curt and pedro who will work their butts off to win a ring
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Greenrider » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:45 am

well, if we're talking fantasy, Pedro & Schill are definitely ranked higher over Prior and Wood

because they're that much better? no, I'm a Sox fan, but I'm a sane one - I recognize Prior's current and future dominance, and K-Wood is great too.

the reason you take Pedro & Schill first is this:

2003:
CHC - 725 runs scored
BOS - 962 runs scored

sure, there are aberrations every year - Pedro was just as good as Prior last year, and managed only 14 wins to Prior's 18, but all things being equal, you can expect Pedro and Schilling to get many more wins for your fantasy team when pitching for the Sox.

if you want to talk about raw pitching talent and not fantasy, I must admit I would have to give up Pedro and Schilling for Prior and his many years of dominance to come, but in the here-and-now, next year's fantasy season, Pedro & Schill are tops.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers