Running A league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Running A league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Running A league

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:28 pm

Some friends and I have intrest in starting a keeper league, but none of us know how one really works. I have a decent idea from reading questions about them, but if someone could fill me in on all the details, I would really apperciate it.

Thanx :-D
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:32 pm

I just finshed up my keeper league owner's meeting...let me know what direction you want to head in with your league (ex Roto or H2H) and I can give you more info later.

Application essays are calling!
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:42 pm

I'm guessing that it would probably be a normal H2H league at yahoo. We will probably use fairly normal settings (like those for a 5x5 roto with a few additions) and normal positions (probably c,1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF,OF, UTL, SP, SP, SP, P, P, RP, RP and like 5-7 bench spots)

I am only making guesses at these though, as we haven't talked about any of the spefics.
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:21 am

Since it's a H2H league, the best advice I can give you is to impose roster move limits and/or innings pitched limits. Too many people try to draft hitting and then use the "quantity over quality" strategy to try to win. It's the easiest way for the league to fold. It's not fun when somone is adding and dropping all their starters every day just to get as many starts as possible to win a couple of the pitching catagories.

As to keepers, decide before the league starts how many players you will keep from year to year. Make sure it's upfront before the draft that way no one can argue it, or try to change it as the year progresses.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ramble2 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:55 am

My league uses a somewhat complicated system - but a fun one. Each manager gets a set number of contract years that they can distribute however they want. It means that each manager can use a different strategy in deciding who to keep. It got mixed reviews from Cafe members, but feel free to check it out and use it if you like:

http://www.geocities.com/thehaber2000/rules/c-yrules.html
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby shortsavage » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:34 am

If you want to put together a serious keeper league, I would not recommend using Yahoo. Sure they are free and are the top FREE site, but my friends are always saying that it is tough to be in a keeper league that does not have a site option to add on minor leaguers. Using Yahoo will leave a lot more of the bookwork to you and your league.

I am doing my keeper league with CBSSportsline. They do have a bad reputation for having technical difficulties, but a lot of the gripes about them are nick picky.

I like their service because it provides you with so many options. And, when you break it down, a league with its own site and a ton of cool features for only $140 is not so bad divided up between 10+ owners. Yahoo stat tracker alone will cost your league a good portion of that.

Hehe, this is the part where all the Yahoo loyalists come in and try to counter my arguement. If you use CBS, you will not be dissapointed.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers