Transaction Limits (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Transaction Limits (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:30 am

we do 75. I was the only one in the league to hit that total last year and i was definately not churning. Thats really all you are trying to stop by putting a move limit. 75 usually means 3/week. If you are really concerned about churners go with 50 but i think owners should be given freedom as long as they are not churning...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lsommerer » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:54 pm

We do 6. Looking at these other responses makes that number feel ridiculously small. We have a 26 man roster with 14 active players and do weekly lineup changes. It means you either have to keep a replacement player on your roster or have a FA pickup left.
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:20 pm

lsommerer wrote:We do 6. Looking at these other responses makes that number feel ridiculously small. We have a 26 man roster with 14 active players and do weekly lineup changes. It means you either have to keep a replacement player on your roster or have a FA pickup left.

If you're doing weekly line-ups, why limit transactions? Having weekly line-ups eliminates churning by itself. I'm in a weekly NL-only league and I'd never make it with only 6 transactions a year.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:35 pm

BravesGuy wrote:50. anything above that would be considered churning IMO

agreed. we use 40 in my league and it works well.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheWrightStuff » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:15 pm

I commish a league and I set the moves at 75 for the regular season. I lock rosters after Sept 2nd and only allow teams to pick up in case of emergency and they have no backups for the playoffs. If anyone appears to be churning I told the teams to send me a message and I would investigate. Yeah, I know it is somewhat tedious but I am running a dynasty league and I do not want it being ruined.
"There are only two places in the league - first place and no place." Tom Seaver
TheWrightStuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chadgo5 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:36 am

3 transactions for the season in our roto league (weekly lineups). We have 40 man rosters (23 start).

The feeling is unanimous throughout our league as well. So it works for us.

Never understood the fun of being able to just pick up the hot hand on the waiver wire 40 or 50 times during the season.

I guess I like a little more realism in my fantasy.
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fraquar » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:52 am

Chadgo5 wrote:.....Never understood the fun of being able to just pick up the hot hand on the waiver wire 40 or 50 times during the season. I guess I like a little more realism in my fantasy.

My sentiments exactly. I noticed the word churning being used earlier - well if you turn over your entire roster 3 times in a year (25 man roster with 75 transactions) that is beyond churning - that is ridiculous.

The way to alleviate the problem is like you said - large rosters and few transactions. I have no problem with having a waiver wire jockeying ride anticipating a Homer Bailey or Yovanni Gallardo callup when they come up - but picking up a pitcher only because he happens to have two starts in a week and then dumping him after said starts - that by definition is churning.

Even 50 transactions would mean a 25 man roster gets turned over in it's entirety twice during a season.
fraquar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheWrightStuff » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:20 pm

fraquar wrote:
Chadgo5 wrote:.....Never understood the fun of being able to just pick up the hot hand on the waiver wire 40 or 50 times during the season. I guess I like a little more realism in my fantasy.

My sentiments exactly. I noticed the word churning being used earlier - well if you turn over your entire roster 3 times in a year (25 man roster with 75 transactions) that is beyond churning - that is ridiculous.

The way to alleviate the problem is like you said - large rosters and few transactions. I have no problem with having a waiver wire jockeying ride anticipating a Homer Bailey or Yovanni Gallardo callup when they come up - but picking up a pitcher only because he happens to have two starts in a week and then dumping him after said starts - that by definition is churning.

Even 50 transactions would mean a 25 man roster gets turned over in it's entirety twice during a season.

I get your point but who wants to overturn their roster in a dynasty league? I am very cautious when it comes to adding and dropping any players in a dynasty league simply because the draft is who I anticipate on my team at the end of the season. Also for the minor league players they are only allowed to be called up/sent down 2 times in a season before they have to pass through waivers.
"There are only two places in the league - first place and no place." Tom Seaver
TheWrightStuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:06 pm

fraquar wrote:

If you're in a deep enough league though, your bottom 4 or 5 draft picks are going to be "flyers" most likely. So if they don't pan out, you're going out to the wire to find the latest "hot hand" to replace them. How is this a problem?

In the end, it comes down to how much emphasis you want to put on the draft. If you like the draft to mean EVERYTHING, then limit transactions to a small number. If you want to allow some in-season flexibility (my preference) then don't limit them.

And don't talk about "realism" in this context. Do you think there is a limit on the number of transactions that real teams can make during the year? Of course not. By extension, the most "real" would be to not limit transactions at all.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Unlimited. I hate when there is a limit on what I can do with my team.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner