i LOVE boston fans. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

i LOVE boston fans.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:12 am

sul.......You know why the Sox bashers are out? It's because they're good. That's why the Yankee haters are in full force. Respect and envy. Rarely do people beat these teams while they're down. If the Yankees decide that they want to return to the Stump Merrill days, I'm sure that after the first wave of criticism, people will go about their normal lives and leave them alone.

Take it as a complement. If people are talking about them, there must be something good to talk about.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby timkell » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:35 am

My point is it seems like the Sox fans here are taking a beating for just being Sox fans.

Wait, do we need another reason?

:-D

I couldn't resist.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:47 am

Yeah, I love it when Red Sox fans complain about Yankee free agent signings. Meanwhile, for any guy the Yankees sign, who's the other bidder, usually willing to pony up just as much money? The Sox.

Fans of other teams can complain about the Yankees and the Red Sox if they want (even though I think they should complain about their own teams' greedy and cheap owners instead. See Brewers plans for 30 mill in payroll while getting 15 mill from revenue sharing), but Sox fans should admit their team can and will do just as much as the Yankees to win.

For the last few years, it's usually come down to winning. Guys have picked NY because of the chance to win it all. Now players are starting to believe the Sox have a chance, and they're willing to sign there.

All I know is the Yanks/Sox rivalry is as intense now as it's ever been, and I'm psyched for next year!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:53 pm

As a Sox fan, every year there is something to complain about that gives us a feeling of doom that we'll never get to the series no matter what the media's outlook is. For years it was certain positional players and pitching that desparately needed improvement. Last year we suddenly had a clutch offense that we could no longer complain about, so we scratched our heads and turned to the starting rotation and bullpen. Emphasis, of course, was on the bullpen as the year progressed.

With the signing of Schilling our starting rotation looks immaculate, with very little complaint save for the 5th spot (which, other than the Yankees, draws ire on every team). Along with a bullpen that shows signs of stability, as well as the possibility of getting a fantastic closer, Sox Nation can't find anything to worry over anymore. I mean what is there? The defense at second base? The overall speed on the basepaths? The batboy's lack of hygiene?

Regardless of how good the Yanks get with each signing, Sox fans everywhere are absolutely exuberant because the energy that used to go into grumbling about the roster and management has been redirected into positivity. Basically, bragging is no longer a part-time job this offseason.

In conclusion, yes, the Sox are going to absolutely SMOKE the east next year. And the Yanks finish third.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:00 pm

MashinSpuds wrote: Sox Nation can't find anything to worry over anymore. I mean what is there? The defense at second base? The overall speed on the basepaths? The batboy's lack of hygiene?

looks like they have everything covered except the excuse. ....

* the ghost of Ruth thing is getting kinda old.
* Blaming the manager was chicken chit

You all need to get a new excuse. The Cubs found one. :-) :-°
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:05 pm

wrveres wrote:You all need to get a new excuse. The Cubs found one.

8-o ....... }:-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:59 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
wrveres wrote:You all need to get a new excuse. The Cubs found one.

8-o ....... }:-)

Lmao! :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:41 pm

1 thing that doesn't match is Boston's insistence that they will not be over the luxury tax amount of around $120 million. Something has to give. They have half of that tied up in Pedro, Manny, Schilling, and Nomar. That means that they need to use another $60 million for the rest of the team. Take into consideration that they want to sign Foulke and Ortiz is gonna be due an MVP candidate arbitration salary. IMHO, they should go for broke. You don't sign Schilling every day so they should pay the tax if they need to and go for it. If they get Schilling and Foulke, why nickle and dime certain areas because those guys are making a lot of money?

P.S. There are rumblings that Pedro is pissed at the Schilling extension and he won't report to camp without 1 of his own. 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby stevelabny » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:P.S. There are rumblings that Pedro is pissed at the Schilling extension and he won't report to camp without 1 of his own. 8-o

because Pedro is a dirtbag.

But we knew that already :-P
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ramble2 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:12 am

stevelabny wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:P.S. There are rumblings that Pedro is pissed at the Schilling extension and he won't report to camp without 1 of his own. 8-o

because Pedro is a dirtbag.

But we knew that already :-P

LMAO!

I'm surprised it took so long for Pedro to start whining about this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Pedro complains about this to Schilling ...
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers