i LOVE boston fans. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

i LOVE boston fans.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

i LOVE boston fans.

Postby stevelabny » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:01 pm

so here i am peeking at the boards after sleeping the last few weeks...and what do i see?

Red Sox fans bouncing off the walls.
Aleady proclaiming victory.

DO YOU EVER LEARN?

Red Sox fans wanting to add Foulke , and Colon and more offense... suddenly its ok to BUY a team.

HYPOCRITES!

Red Sox fans believing their bullpen will do what it did in the postseason rather than the regular season, that their offense will be as ridiculously good, that pedro and schilling will stay healthy...

until September or October until they start waiting for the inevitable collapse.

Next year's AL East standings:

1> Yankees
2> Orioles
3> Blue Jays
4> Devil Rays
5> Red Sox

why? not sure exactly. maybe theyll be riddled by injuries, maybe theyll trade away too many bad personalities for not enough bat, maybe the new manager is a turkey, all i know is that the more red sox fans get their hopes up...

the bigger the disaster.

one of the things that makes baseball fun really.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:06 pm

I believe that the Sox will have a great season next year, especially if they lock up Foulke.

The Colon thing was just a joke. I don't see that happening. Colon is most likely headed to the Yankees.

As to bias, I'm a Rangers fan, so I want to see the Rangers sweep Boston and the Yankees every time we play them. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pkarr5000 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:07 pm

i dont like boston either but thats impossible. i dont understand how the best offense with pedro, curt, and lowe can be worse than baltimore with or without vlad or tampa bay. the reason theyre so excited is bc they actually have somewhat of a balanced team and it might take them to the ws. i made the complaint about them doing it the steinbrenner way though.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: i LOVE boston fans.

Postby nsulham » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:43 pm

stevelabny wrote:so here i am peeking at the boards after sleeping the last few weeks...and what do i see?

Red Sox fans bouncing off the walls.
Aleady proclaiming victory.

DO YOU EVER LEARN?

Red Sox fans wanting to add Foulke , and Colon and more offense... suddenly its ok to BUY a team.

HYPOCRITES!

Red Sox fans believing their bullpen will do what it did in the postseason rather than the regular season, that their offense will be as ridiculously good, that pedro and schilling will stay healthy...

until September or October until they start waiting for the inevitable collapse.

Next year's AL East standings:

1> Yankees
2> Orioles
3> Blue Jays
4> Devil Rays
5> Red Sox

why? not sure exactly. maybe theyll be riddled by injuries, maybe theyll trade away too many bad personalities for not enough bat, maybe the new manager is a turkey, all i know is that the more red sox fans get their hopes up...

the bigger the disaster.

one of the things that makes baseball fun really.

I was waiting for the first Yankee fan to show up and say something. Happened much later than I thought though. What took you so long Steve?

Look, no Sox fan here I know has "proclaimed victory". Are they a much improved team? Yes. Has the balance of power in the AL East (if you choose to believe such cliches) shifted? Yes, especially if they do end up signing Foulke.

You know for a fact George is going to come out guns ablazing and sign every FA under the sun. So why the negativity? It's all about making your team better right? Which is what Boston has done and what George will do.

For once we actually have made the bigger splash in the offseason, a very rare feat considering George's FA history so as Sox fans we have every right to be ecstatic.

NOTHING is decided yet, it's only November. But for you to predict that the Sox will finish dead last in the division is absolute jealousy and stupidity at it's worst.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stevelabny » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:13 pm

nsulham wrote:I was waiting for the first Yankee fan to show up and say something. Happened much later than I thought though. What took you so long Steve?

Actually, I've been trolling some other boards after finally getting around to see the sucktitude that was Kill Bill and Matrix: Revolutions. I also got into a thread about worst comic book stories ever that was highly entertaining. Plus I've been busy unlocking everything in Mario Kart: Double Dash. I didn't realize I was on a schedule or that you were waiting for me. Sorry, next time I'll try to be more propmpt. Geek life is tough.

nsulham wrote:Look, no Sox fan here I know has "proclaimed victory". Are they a much improved team? Yes. Has the balance of power in the AL East (if you choose to believe such cliches) shifted? Yes, especially if they do end up signing Foulke.

Balance of power doesnt shift in the off-season. EVER. The Yankees and Braves are favorites to win their divisions until they don't. Period.

nsulham wrote:You know for a fact George is going to come out guns ablazing and sign every FA under the sun. So why the negativity? It's all about making your team better right? Which is what Boston has done and what George will do.

Why the negativity? I thought my post explained that. I think the portion of Sox fans that just like to whinel have become (even) more hypocritical, which is bad. They're also getting their hopes up already just to have them crushed again. I actually LIKE that though. Its funny. And at least Boston fans support their team unlike Oakland and some "cities". Believe it or not most Yankee fans RESPECT the real Boston fans for continuing to support their team, knowing full well they will never win. How can you not?

nsulham wrote:For once we actually have made the bigger splash in the offseason, a very rare feat considering George's FA history so as Sox fans we have every right to be ecstatic.

For once?? What about the years they acquired Pedro and Manny? Weren't those bigger splashes too? Can we stop with the portrayal that the Yankees are the only team chasing FAs and spending money? We all know its NOT true.

nsulham wrote:NOTHING is decided yet, it's only November. But for you to predict that the Sox will finish dead last in the division is absolute jealousy and stupidity at it's worst.

Stupidity? Maybe.
But no more stupid than predicting that the Sox will win.
My point, for those who missed it, is not so much that the sox will finish LAST but that the sox "look good on paper" and are doomed to having an awful season, being a major disappointment and letting their fans down. AGAIN. Putting them in last place wasn't the point of the post at all. That was the amusing illustration of my point.

Jealousy? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
What is there for me to be jealous of?
This is where Yankee-bashers look really dumb.
Just because YOURE all jealous EVERY time the yankees make a signing or win a championship...doesnt mean we are when the situation is reversed.
We KNOW we can sign free agents, and we KNOW our next championship will come at some point. (usually next year)
Its not that big a deal to us.
It can, and has, been argued that this is NOT a good or fun thing but thats a completely different thread.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:27 pm

Boston was one pitching change from the ws. The team has talent. NY is still the team to dethrone, but i will tell you this. That kid, Theo Epstein, is a smart kid. And he will push George hard. Torre and Cashman will be on the hot seat.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby nsulham » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:30 pm

Balance of power doesnt shift in the off-season. EVER. The Yankees and Braves are favorites to win their divisions until they don't. Period.

I am pretty confident that a few baseball publications next spring will disagree with you but hey, you sound like THE definitive voice on where teams will finish around here (Orioles, Blue Jays, Devil Rays finishing ahead of Boston as proof).

Why the negativity? I thought my post explained that. I think the portion of Sox fans that just like to whinel have become (even) more hypocritical, which is bad. They're also getting their hopes up already just to have them crushed again. I actually LIKE that though. Its funny. And at least Boston fans support their team unlike Oakland and some "cities". Believe it or not most Yankee fans RESPECT the real Boston fans for continuing to support their team, knowing full well they will never win. How can you not?

And a portion of Red Sox fans actually respect the Yankees. At least those Yankee fans who aren't Johhny-Come-Lately bleacher bums who "found" the Yankees after their first championship in the 90's. If you suffered through the years of Kevin Maas and Andy Hawkins then you're allowed to revel in the Yank's recent success. If you weren't along for the ride during that time, sorry, bandwagons only get so full.

We KNOW we can sign free agents, and we KNOW our next championship will come at some point. (usually next year)
Its not that big a deal to us.

Well then when George goes out of his mind and overpays for Sheffield, Pettite, Colon, Hawkins and Matsui, maybe you'll be in better spirits because the Yankees should then be considered the favorites in the AL, right? Oh wait that's EVERY year they should be considered the favorites. Yes boys and girls in the Year 2121, rest assured, the Yankees will STILL be considered the favorites to win it all.

Annnnd I'm spent. I'll let Transmo or Greenrider take over from here.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:11 am

I am an objective fan and it alarms me (as a Yanks' fan) that the Sox signed Schilling. That said, I will say this. The Sox stepped in sh*t last year with all of their cheap signings (Millar, Mueller, Ortiz, etc.). I would be surprised if they all had career years again like this past year.

The only other thing that I agree with is that, no matter what anyone else says, until proven wrong, the Yanks and Braves have to be considered to favorities in their divisions.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:35 am

Lofunzo wrote:The only other thing that I agree with is that, no matter what anyone else says, until proven wrong, the Yanks and Braves have to be considered to favorities in their divisions.

agreed ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby matrick » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:35 am

What do you mean the balance of power can not shift in the off season? Are you telling me the Florida Marlins were the favorites to win the world series starting the 1998 season?
matrick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers