Suit for Wrongful Birth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Suit for Wrongful Birth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:48 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:The fetus is, in fact, considered a person that can be murdered in every single instance except for abortion. One huge, convenient, and terrible double standard IMHO.

Its isn't in the first tri mester, thats how they get around it. I know thats the case here in FL. Every state is different

In Arizona, a fetus of any stage of development is considered a "life" except for in the case of abortion. Destroying a fetus (again, except in the case of abortion) is a Negligent Homicide and considered a Class 4 felony.

The main thing that gets me is just our general apathy towards abortion in general. You'd think in a country where 24/100 conceptions are aborted (~3500 per day and 1.3M per year), it would be more of an issue. But everyone seems to just turn the other cheek. Especially when you consider things like breaking an eagle's egg, which carries a $5000 fine and up to a year in prison.

Furthermore, when you consider the things that don't define "personhood," such as Size, Reasoning Ability, Location/Environment, or Dependency on Others (e.g. Respirators), there's no way to use them in an argument about whether a fetus is a "life." And consider the fact that all organs are present and functioning at eight weeks, and nearly all abortions happen after that point...

There's also the way our justice system works, where when two rights conflict, the right with the "higher value" prevails. Shouldn't the right of a child not be killed win in a fight versus the right of a woman not to be pregnant? It's my thought that we should be fighting to protect the person that needs us more.

Now, I'm perfectly aware that my Christian beliefs absolutely play a role in my thoughts regarding abortion. I also understand that many of these kids would have gone into homes where they're not wanted, but I'd much prefer them to be given up for adoption and have them go to families that very much want them.

Lastly, there is only one word for it when the "humanness" of the unborn is decided on a case-by-case basis. That word is ANARCHY.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Wow. You need a license to drive but anyone can be a parent. :-t
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:19 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:The main thing that gets me is just our general apathy towards abortion in general. You'd think in a country where 24/100 conceptions are aborted (~3500 per day and 1.3M per year), it would be more of an issue.

I also understand that many of these kids would have gone into homes where they're not wanted, but I'd much prefer them to be given up for adoption and have them go to families that very much want them.

I was going to type a big old long thing about this, but suffice it to say that there are not enough homes to care for that many kids each year.

The apathy isn't surprising at all. I hear about an abortion and I think of two stupid idiots that screwed up but fixed the problem, rather than burden the world with a child they don't care about or want. I'd rather hear about that, and rather see them get the abortion, instead of reading yet another article about a kid who was locked in the closet for 5 years with little food or water, and then having the government shell out the taxpayer money to raise that kid. How many of those 1.3 million each year would wind up in a situation similar to that? Half? That's a ton of taxpayer money wasted, when all it took was for the idiots to fix their mistake.

Also, if you want abortions to stop completely, then I'd suggest teaching responsible sex to the country first, but good luck with that, as it's going the exact opposite route.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:24 pm

How far along was she?

Anyways she can always give the kid up for adoption
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:Anyways she can always give the kid up for adoption

Yep, and you get to foot the bill until such point and time as the government finds that kid a home, if they ever do. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:33 pm

Madison wrote:

Yep, and you get to foot the bill until such point and time as the government finds that kid a home, if they ever do. ;-D

Eh sounds fine to me people have sued for less
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:39 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Cool. So we abolish abortion and you get 1.3 million (using BP's numbers) additional kids to raise each year on your tax dollars. ;-D

Oh, expect a tax increase to help cover that expense. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Cool. So we abolish abortion and you get 1.3 million (using BP's numbers) additional kids to raise each year on your tax dollars. ;-D

Oh, expect a tax increase to help cover that expense. ;-)

I'd rather pay a little extra to save some lives.... :-?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:41 pm

I usually have a very conservative mindset, but this is an issue where I definitely lean to the left. I agree with Madison pretty much whole-heartedly here. The last thing we need in this country is more unwanted kids.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:42 pm

Madison wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:The main thing that gets me is just our general apathy towards abortion in general. You'd think in a country where 24/100 conceptions are aborted (~3500 per day and 1.3M per year), it would be more of an issue.

I also understand that many of these kids would have gone into homes where they're not wanted, but I'd much prefer them to be given up for adoption and have them go to families that very much want them.

I was going to type a big old long thing about this, but suffice it to say that there are not enough homes to care for that many kids each year.

The apathy isn't surprising at all. I hear about an abortion and I think of two stupid idiots that screwed up but fixed the problem, rather than burden the world with a child they don't care about or want. I'd rather hear about that, and rather see them get the abortion, instead of reading yet another article about a kid who was locked in the closet for 5 years with little food or water, and then having the government shell out the taxpayer money to raise that kid. How many of those 1.3 million each year would wind up in a situation similar to that? Half? That's a ton of taxpayer money wasted, when all it took was for the idiots to fix their mistake.

Also, if you want abortions to stop completely, then I'd suggest teaching responsible sex to the country first, but good luck with that, as it's going the exact opposite route.

Agreed. Good post.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk