Open Office - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Open Office

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:32 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:MS Word and Powerpoint will not open a document they created saying they are corrupt.

I think I'm misunderstanding something. My MS Word opens up everything just fine. What won't it open? :-?

These were seperate things.

A Word document would not open with word (Remember I work in IT so I see problems like this)

Every time we tried to open the doc it would say it can't open. So I use Open Office to open the word doc and it works fine.

happened again today but this time with a powerpoint document.

Its just funny that a 300+ product corrupts its own format then can't open it.

And a free product is able to open it no problem
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:37 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:MS Word and Powerpoint will not open a document they created saying they are corrupt.

I think I'm misunderstanding something. My MS Word opens up everything just fine. What won't it open? :-?

A Word document would not open with word (Remember I work in IT so I see problems like this)

Every time we tried to open the doc it would say it can't open. So I use Open Office to open the word doc and it works fine.

Maybe we're talking about a different MS Word. Mine has come on all my machines, and each one can save and open documents with no problems. :-?

Not saying it works perfectly because I don't really use it all that much, but I have yet to have a problem. Even Word documents sent to me by others (a lot of the editor's tests are emailed to me in Word documents) open up just fine for me. :-?

Powerpoint isn't something I use at all, so no comment from me there. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:41 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Maybe we're talking about a different MS Word. Mine has come on all my machines, and each one can save and open documents with no problems. :-?

Not saying it works perfectly because I don't really use it all that much, but I have yet to have a problem. Even Word documents sent to me by others (a lot of the editor's tests are emailed to me in Word documents) open up just fine for me. :-?

I think you are still confused.

Word/Office in general works well. However, on the occasion that it has corrupted a document.

It will say something like "Cannot open or cannot find the file, or the file isn't recognized"

Whatever, anyways there have been times when Word will not open a document that it has created. Say you type your resume through word then take it home and finish it on a different verision of word say "2003" vs "XP" word, it has a chance of corrupting the format.

When this happens word will say it is corrupt and can't open. Every time I've seen this happen I've been able to open it in OPEN OFFICE then resave it which corrects the problem. Then Word can open it.

Office is a decent product but for free you can have something that works just as well or better :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:48 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Word/Office in general works well. However, on the occasion that it has corrupted a document.

It will say something like "Cannot open or cannot find the file, or the file isn't recognized"

Whatever, anyways there have been times when Word will not open a document that it has created. Say you type your resume through word then take it home and finish it on a different verision of word say "2003" vs "XP" word, it has a chance of corrupting the format.

When this happens word will say it is corrupt and can't open. Every time I've seen this happen I've been able to open it in OPEN OFFICE then resave it which corrects the problem. Then Word can open it.

Office is a decent product but for free you can have something that works just as well or better :-D

Ah, it "could" cause a problem. Ok, the part I originally quoted made it seem like it was that way all the time with all documents it creates. That's where the misunderstanding is. Sure, any program can glitch occasionally. No one's perfect. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:53 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Ah, it "could" cause a problem. Ok, the part I originally quoted made it seem like it was that way all the time with all documents it creates. That's where the misunderstanding is. Sure, any program can glitch occasionally. No one's perfect. ;-D

Right but the point is that Open Office can open a Corrupt Word file while word cannot open it. Its more showing that Open Office is a great program
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:55 pm

I love OO, however, I will say that I don't care from IMPRESS too much. I much prefer Powerpoint.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:15 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:Ah, it "could" cause a problem. Ok, the part I originally quoted made it seem like it was that way all the time with all documents it creates. That's where the misunderstanding is. Sure, any program can glitch occasionally. No one's perfect. ;-D

Right but the point is that Open Office can open a Corrupt Word file while word cannot open it. Its more showing that Open Office is a great program

All is good. I just misunderstood the first comment. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:44 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:Ah, it "could" cause a problem. Ok, the part I originally quoted made it seem like it was that way all the time with all documents it creates. That's where the misunderstanding is. Sure, any program can glitch occasionally. No one's perfect. ;-D

did I ever tell you how awesome firefox is :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:12 am

I've been using Open Office for years. It's definitely a nice deal and it definitely works perfectly with everything I do.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:49 am

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

did I ever tell you how awesome firefox is :-D

I've been using it exclusively for a week or so and I can definitely say now that it certainly stinks. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk