what the yankees shooooould do! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what the yankees shooooould do!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what the yankees shooooould do!

Postby L0rdB23 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:53 pm

in my opinion they can go and sign sheffield as fast as they want.. hitting isnt the yankees biggest need tho.. which will once again prove steinbrenner just wastes his money.. they need alot of help with middle relief and who do they have starting after mussina and contreras.. jon lieber shouldnt be counted on for too much .. pettite will probably be back but i think they still need atleast 2 starters depending on what pettite does ..

i dont understand why they dont go after maddux .. they have expressed interest in retaining david wells but in my opinion maddux would cost the same, maybe less since he has had 0 market so far and maddux would also be a safer choice.. he doesnt need back surgery ... he also has the advantage of being in the nl his whole career so hed already have a little bit of an edge on al players who have seen him less .. how can they pass up on a guy who just set the record for consecutive 15 win seasons

im not a yankee fan at all i just hate to see the moves they make thinking every year it will win them a title.. i think they should save the money theyd spend on sheffield and take that money and sign maddux to a 2 year deal worth 8mil a year with incentives

next they should go hard after hawkins to set up Mo, they should bring back nelson .. i also think they should try n make a run for benitez .. yes he was shaky as a closer but he is another free agent drawing no interest and i think hed do a good job his second go around in yankee stadium if he got the chance

for RF they should sign a cheaper alternative to a short contract like a reggie sanders or if they wanna spend more money make a big push for castillo because everyone knows they can outbid the mets and the marlins and move soriano to the outfield and castillo would cost alot less and is more of a guarantee then the other japanese matsui

from what i think if they were able to get hawkings, bring back nelson, sign maddux, benitez and a sanders possibly theyd get 5 guys and only spend maybe 5 more million then just signing sheffield to have a big name steal the spotlight from the red sox.. i hope george finally thinks about how to spend his money but i know he wont and they will probably sign sheffield and colon and not win another world series..

let meknow wut u guys think about this and ill enjoy reading ur opinions and input on this matter
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:59 pm

Aren't the Yankees a target for contraction? :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:03 pm

NY pitchers averaged 33.6 years last year, by far the oldest staff in bb. Maddux will be 38. NY needs youth, a breath of fresh air, Beckett like. Javier Vasquez would be my #1 priority, if i was Cashman. Colon would be a option also. Hawkins would be a nice addition to pen. Benitez isnt suited for NY.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:04 pm

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Lieber is supposed to be back next year as well.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby L0rdB23 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:18 pm

Madison wrote:Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Lieber is supposed to be back next year as well.

yeah but lieber has always been a 1 half pitcher and u never know wut ur gonna get coming off of tommy john..
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:12 pm

L0rdB23 wrote:
Madison wrote:Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Lieber is supposed to be back next year as well.

yeah but lieber has always been a 1 half pitcher and u never know wut ur gonna get coming off of tommy john..

Lately, they have been adding a few MPH after that surgery.

What I would like them to do is forget Sheffield, sign Kaz Matsui to play 2B, and move Soriano to RF. Then, switch H. Matsui and Bernie in the OF. That would give them:

C - Posada
1B - Johnson
2B - Matsui
3B - Boone
SS - Jeter
LF - Bernie
CF - Matsui
RF - Soriano
DH - Giambi

That would give them more $$ to get pitching. Schilling is no lock to go to Boston so you never know about that. I would like to sign Pettitte giving them Mussina, Pettitte, and Contreras. Then, pick another 2 from Schilling, Colon, Lieber, Wells, and Vasquez. I love the latter but don't want to give up too much to get him. The RP position could use work and I like Hawkins but there has been a lot said about him not being up for the NY pressure.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mikcou » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:20 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
L0rdB23 wrote:

Lately, they have been adding a few MPH after that surgery.

What I would like them to do is forget Sheffield, sign Kaz Matsui to play 2B, and move Soriano to RF. Then, switch H. Matsui and Bernie in the OF. That would give them:

C - Posada
1B - Johnson
2B - Matsui
3B - Boone
SS - Jeter
LF - Bernie
CF - Matsui
RF - Soriano
DH - Giambi

That would give them more $$ to get pitching. Schilling is no lock to go to Boston so you never know about that. I would like to sign Pettitte giving them Mussina, Pettitte, and Contreras. Then, pick another 2 from Schilling, Colon, Lieber, Wells, and Vasquez. I love the latter but don't want to give up too much to get him. The RP position could use work and I like Hawkins but there has been a lot said about him not being up for the NY pressure.

Matsui has already said he wont play second...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:21 pm

I would HATE to see Maddux pitching for NY next year. The last thing they need is an over the hill former superstar who will only give them 5 innings every time out. I question Colon's work ethic from what I've heard, if he's given a lengthy contract. Benitez is a definate NO.

But I would love to see Hawkins in a Yankee uniform next year to go along with Heredia, Karsay and another lefty like Rhodes, setting up Mo.

Of the pitchers available, my first choice would be Schilling if he doesn't go to the Red Sox. Why? The guy is a proven winner and is just the guy to replace the power pitcher that was Roger Clemens. Sure Schilling is old like Maddux, but the difference is that I think Schilling still has MUCH more left in the tank. He'll still give you 7 innings or more every time out.

Vazquez would surely be nicer to have than Schilling because of the age, but Schilling is a better pickup IMO because of the greater cost it would take to land Vazquez. Now is not the time to trade Soriano, especially when you're getting an older pitcher with less future potential than Soriano has. I'd be fine with trading Nick Johnson for Schilling or Vazquez, but Soriano needs to stay.

I'd like to see Soriano in the OF though.
Hopefully Weaver can be unloaded somehow and obviously, Pettite MUST be back.

My hopes:
C Posada
1 Giambi (if surgery goes well)
2 K. Matsui (I was against it at first, but Castillo's hip worries me)
3 Boone
SS Jeter
LF H. Matsui
CF Soriano
RF Sheffield (its inevitable isn't it?)
DH Bernie
Bench A solid backup 1B, though I don't know who's out there

SP1 Mussina
SP2 Pettite
SP3 Schilling
SP4 Contreras
SP5 Leiber/ Wells

LHMR Heredia
RHMR Karsay
RHMR Nelson
LHSU Rhodes
RHSU Hawkins
CL Mr. Automatic

We shall see though ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby DK » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:56 pm

wrveres wrote:Aren't the Yankees a target for contraction? :-)

Yup, the Expos and Brewers simply have a surplus of money, and it's bankrupting Steinbrenner. :)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:13 pm

Well now that Schilling is with the Red Sox, I'd like to see Vazquez, but only if they don't have to give up Soriano, which is unlikely. If they can't get him, I expect them to turn to Colon and hope his work ethic has gotten better.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers